BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #287
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Thanks for the mini review.

I've never had heating problems on the street or even drag strip so I look forward to hearing your impressions after the track day.

Is your car an AT or MT?

Do you have any other photos of the bracket? Did you do the install yourself?
I've never had any heating issues on the street either and that's not the main reason I bought it. I was looking at the stage 1 which would be fine for street/drag use but for a few hundred bucks more I could be track prepared too, so seemed like a smart move.

The way I see it is that the OEM oil cooler was designed to operate on an engine running at 225kw not the 330-370kw our tuned cars are making. Even BMW themselves saw the need for upgraded oil cooling when just boosting the output by just 25kw so its food for thought.

The track day will obviously be the time for this kit to prove itself. It will most likely be other parts of my car that will be a let down on Wednesday but we shall see. Also its AT.

Peter or Justin should have some pics of the brackets and it was installed at Advan on Friday.

Last edited by Drawn05; 04-28-2012 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #288
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
I've never had any heating issues on the street either and that's not the main reason I bought it. I was looking at the stage 1 which would be fine for street/drag use but for a few hundred bucks more I could be track prepared too, so seemed like a smart move.

The way I see it is that the OEM oil cooler was designed to operate on an engine running at 225kw not the 330-370kw our tuned cars are making. Even BMW themselves saw the need for upgraded oil cooling when just boosting the output by just 25kw so its food for thought.

The track day will obviously be the time for this kit to prove itself. It will most likely be other parts of my car that will be a let down on Wednesday but we shall see. Also its AT.

Peter or Justin should have some pics of the brackets and it was installed at Advan on Friday.
I agree with all your points. I also recall you asking whether your 135i would experience overheating issues recently in another thread recently too.

How many times have you tracked your car and were you experiencing any limp throughout the day on the stock oil cooler?

Wednesday will be the big test but I'd like to get a better idea of how often limp was occurring prior to the oil cooler being installed. Was it occurring after how many laps? At what temp?

My car is also AT, that's why I'm very curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #289
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
So I have spent the last 3 hours driving around with my new stage 2 oil cooler and am very happy with the oil temps I have been getting.

From cool-ish outside temps of between 15 and 17 degrees and varying stop/start traffic (and putting the spurs to her) and the oil temp gauge never went past 105 degrees!!

In fact, when having to pull up for a red and the temp would go up to 105 it was heading south very quickly after driving off. I admit that its cold weather but that is still pretty good in my book.

This pic is basically where the dial sat for most of the last 3 hours of driving so thats what you would see with the stage 2.

Looking forward to seeing how this performs on Wednesday at the trackday. Thanks Pete and Justin.

Attachment 682764

Attachment 682765

P.S, yep, its Saturday night and yes I am a geek. Sigh, this is what I do.
Hey Steve,

thank you kindly for the short review, I am glad you are happy with how the kit is performing thus far.

By the way the pics look good too, I suspect you did not use the services of Pete and his camera phone for those.

With regards your oil temperature, 105 degrees Celsius is pretty much the maximum operating temp I would expect you to see on the street under those conditions with our Stage 2 kit, that incorporates the larger 20 row cooler and the 82 degrees Celsius thermostat.

The rise in temp you see when you pull up at a "red", is due to the fact the oil cooler is no longer benefitting from the clean air that passes through the core, when you are at speed.

Obviously once you "quietly" pull away from the lights, the front face of the core is seeing all that lovely high speed air and heat is quickly transferred away from the engine oil.

Cheers,

Justin.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #290
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yep,

there was a spare bracket kit on Pete's desk when I was at Advan on Saturday.

Once "young" Chris has welded it up and it has been powder coated, I will snap off some pretty pics of the finalised production bracket and all of the components in both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #291
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I agree with all your points. I also recall you asking whether your 135i would experience overheating issues recently in another thread recently too.

How many times have you tracked your car and were you experiencing any limp throughout the day on the stock oil cooler?

Wednesday will be the big test but I'd like to get a better idea of how often limp was occurring prior to the oil cooler being installed. Was it occurring after how many laps? At what temp?

My car is also AT, that's why I'm very curious.
Hey Vinney,

I appreciate your concerns and I can see why you would like to compare new data to old, but please trust me when I say that this kit is a good thing.

Our Stage 2 oil cooler kit was designed around the engine oil cooling requirements of a "proper" track day.

FYI,

I had the Stett Stage 2 kit on my car for some time and whilst it's arguably regarded as the best oil cooler kit on the market with lots of track data to support it, our Stage 2 kit is better because Peter and I ensured it would be.

Please do yourself and me a favour, pay for the kit, receive the kit, install the kit and take comfort in the fact that, "the kit" has made your oil temp issues go away.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-28-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #292
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Vinney,

I appreciate your concerns and I can see why you would like to compare new data to old, but please trust me when I say that this kit is a good thing.

Our Stage 2 oil cooler kit was designed around the engine oil cooling requirements of a "proper" track day.

FYI,

I had the Stett Stage 2 kit on my car for some time and whilst it's arguably regarded as the best oil cooler kit on the market with lots of track data to support it, our Stage 2 kit is better because Peter and I ensured it would be.

Please do yourself and me a favour, pay for the kit, receive the kit, install the kit and take comfort in the fact that, "the kit" has made your oil temp issues go away.

Cheers,

JD.
Hi JD

I'm ready to pay and 100% committed to the kit. I'm only awaiting photos of the customised bracket as I'm installing this myself and hope the DIY is not too far away either. I'm also curious to hear how this kit performs on a AT 135i too now that we have someone with this kit fitted to their car.

I have no doubt this kit works as you have described but you are comparing it to your MT 135i, even though it is making a ton of power over stock.

The reason I am concerned about how well this kit will perform is because I've completed multiple track days and long story short, ALL of the AT 135i's went into limp mode multiple times, and for some of us every single session. It was an ongoing issue and has been for me every single time I track my car, in some instances I'm lucky to get 2 hot laps in. I have tested this on 2 different tracks as well, in hot and cooler conditions.

On the contrary, ALL of the MT 135i's have never experienced this problem, and this is at both tracks. There is only 1 MT 135i that I know of that has gone into limp mode one time ever, and he has tracked his MT 135i many many times, more than anyone else I know. That happened to be on a very hot day too.

If your 135i happened to be an AT I could relate to your experience and give it more weight, but if you have seen my AT 135i perform at track days it is very frustrating and disappointing.

I'm committed to the kit but I'm yet to even see some final photos of what I'm actually buying and what the bracket looks like. And if Drawn05 still experiences limp then it's likely that I will need to upgrade other components such as the radiator or do a trans cooler if that will help fix the issue, which I would like to know before hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #293
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hi JD

I'm ready to pay and 100% committed to the kit. I'm only awaiting photos of the customised bracket as I'm installing this myself and hope the DIY is not too far away either. I'm also curious to hear how this kit performs on a AT 135i too now that we have someone with this kit fitted to their car.

I have no doubt this kit works as you have described but you are comparing it to your MT 135i, even though it is making a ton of power over stock.

The reason I am concerned about how well this kit will perform is because I've completed multiple track days and long story short, ALL of the AT 135i's went into limp mode multiple times, and for some of us every single session. It was an ongoing issue and has been for me every single time I track my car, in some instances I'm lucky to get 2 hot laps in. I have tested this on 2 different tracks as well, in hot and cooler conditions.

On the contrary, ALL of the MT 135i's have never experienced this problem, and this is at both tracks. There is only 1 MT 135i that I know of that has gone into limp mode one time ever, and he has tracked his MT 135i many many times, more than anyone else I know. That happened to be on a very hot day too.

If your 135i happened to be an AT I could relate to your experience and give it more weight, but if you have seen my AT 135i perform at track days it is very frustrating and disappointing.

I'm committed to the kit but I'm yet to even see some final photos of what I'm actually buying and what the bracket looks like. And if Drawn05 still experiences limp then it's likely that I will need to upgrade other components such as the radiator or do a trans cooler if that will help fix the issue, which I would like to know before hand.
Pretty fair call. Knowing Peter though he would have thought it through and come up with a workable solution. I'm sure the local mob in Sydney will be able to scope it out at Eastern Creek on Wednesday and can probably snap a few photos or at least have a good sticky beak at Justin's 135 then.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #294
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep

I also have an AT and we will see how it handles eastern creek on Wednesday. This oil cooler will obviously have little bearing on the transmission cooling but I have already been speaking with Peter and Justin about what they can do for that.

I have only had 2 previous limp home events but they ended up not being temp related.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #295
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Drawn05 - how much power are you putting down? Are you tune only?

Also, what was the cause of the 2 limps?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #296
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Drawn05 - how much power are you putting down? Are you tune only?

Also, what was the cause of the 2 limps?
Last dyno was 269kw with procede/fmic/cp and n55 mids.

The codes for the limps modes were for misfires but seemed to only occur when it was wet, going wot and leaving the stock dsc on. The engine just seemed to really hate it when the dsc would kick in but after always turning it off every time I start the car - no dramas since.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #297
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Last dyno was 269kw with procede/fmic/cp and n55 mids.

The codes for the limps modes were for misfires but seemed to only occur when it was wet, going wot and leaving the stock dsc on. The engine just seemed to really hate it when the dsc would kick in but after always turning it off every time I start the car - no dramas since.
That's some decent power you are making. I think if you leave DTC on it can interfere too much and throw codes. Do you press DTC once or hold it for 5 seconds? Do you happen to know the codes that were thrown?

I'm starting to wonder whether all of my limps were because of inadequacy of the oil cooler. I know some of them are for sure but I'm thinking a trans cooler will be needed down the road!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #298
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Quote:
Hi JD

Just want to say that my manual 135i would go into limp at the track too - before my oil cooler was installed. At that stage, I only had the upgraded radiator but not the oil cooler (eg: when Way sold it to me).

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #299
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
Just want to say that my manual 135i would go into limp at the track too - before my oil cooler was installed. At that stage, I only had the upgraded radiator but not the oil cooler (eg: when Way sold it to me).
Was that when Way was driving the car? I didn't know you had a radiator either, do you know which one?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #300
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

No. That was when first bought and tracked the car. Thats how I knew I'm a rubbish driver.

The radiator was one that SouthernBM custom built because the car overheated and went into limp mode during track time.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #301
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No. That was when first bought and tracked the car. Thats how I knew I'm a rubbish driver.

The radiator was one that SouthernBM custom built because the car overheated and went into limp mode during track time.
You're not a rubbish driver mate, I've been in the car with you before and your car moves!

Man is there anything your car doesn't have!? You've got the most modified 1 in Australia!

I want to upgrade the radiator as well but too much $$$ for the AT.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #302
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Man is there anything your car doesn't have!? You've got the most modified 1 in Australia!

I want to upgrade the radiator as well but too much $$$ for the AT.
Says the guy with stud wheel conversion, 19" rims, quad exhaust and meth....

Is it possible to log the temps for the tranny in the auto? Is there a dip stick for the auto? I'd be looking at the colour of the tranny fluid or getting some data before paying for an tranny oil cooler.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #303
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Says the guy with stud wheel conversion, 19" rims, quad exhaust and meth....

Is it possible to log the temps for the tranny in the auto? Is there a dip stick for the auto? I'd be looking at the colour of the tranny fluid or getting some data before paying for an tranny oil cooler.
You've got a carbon fiber widebody kit, RB turbo upgrade, AP Racing brakes, custom radiator, 265 tyres on all 4 corners!... I could keep going as I'm just scratching the surface! it's easily the most hardcore 135i in Australia.

I agree it would be worthwhile having some hard data first regarding the temps for the trans but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Hopefully after I get the oil cooler in the limp modes are non-existent and I won't need to do anything else for the time being. I'll be doing it in stages anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #304
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
You've got a carbon fiber widebody kit, RB turbo upgrade, AP Racing brakes, custom radiator, 265 tyres on all 4 corners!... I could keep going as I'm just scratching the surface! it's easily the most hardcore 135i in Australia.

I agree it would be worthwhile having some hard data first regarding the temps for the trans but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Hopefully after I get the oil cooler in the limp modes are non-existent and I won't need to do anything else for the time being. I'll be doing it in stages anyway.
Agree with Vinney, although he has a huge list of most that even he can't remember, Adrian's 135i is by far the most hardcore 135i in Australia without advertising it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #305
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I agree it would be worthwhile having some hard data first regarding the temps for the trans but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.
Just have a look at the tranny fluid. If its red, you're good. If its brown, you need an oil cooler...

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #306
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Agree with Vinney, although he has a huge list of most that even he can't remember, Adrian's 135i is by far the most hardcore 135i in Australia without advertising it.

Quote:
Just have a look at the tranny fluid. If its red, you're good. If its brown, you need an oil cooler...
Sweet, just have to find out a way to check it
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #307
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Vinney,

you will be most happy to hear we are good to go.

1. TimMc (Stage 1 oil cooler) PAID

2. BMW86 (Stage 2 oil cooler)

3. alik01 (Stage 2 oil cooler)

4. Micha3l (Stage 2 oil cooler)

5. Drawn05 (Stage 2 oil cooler)

Hi Gents,

we have finally received the completed bracket componentry from the laser cutter.

Our in house fabricator "Young" Chris just needs to weld it up and then we can test fit the mounting bracket to my car.

If it's a good thing, then off to the powder coater it goes.

We hope to have the completed kits boxed up ready for shipment, for you non-local guys buy this time next week.

As such I have to request that it's time for all you lads, to part with some of your hard earned cash.

There are three payment options.

You can directly deposit the full amount via online banking using the following account details.

BSB 082330 ACC# 535323228

Secondly you can pay via PayPal using the following Advan email address.

peter@advanperformance.com.au

Lastly for those guys living in Sydney, if you wish you can pay via Cash, CC or EFTPOS at the workshop.

Also can I ask all the non-local boys, to please PM their preferred shipping address.

Thank you all for your interest in our product, it has certainly taken a bit longer to finalise the kit than expected, but good things come to those who wait.

Cheers,

JD.
Hi JD,

Sorry for getting to this earlier. Have been away and a little preoccupied with some projects.

This all looks good. Are you able to PM the full cost including postage to Darwin 0800? I will have this paid via DD for you gents.

How are we going on the DIY front? Our mechanics are happy to fit it as long as they have instructions. Also, I should have clarified this earlier, but this will fit the 1M the same as a 135i??

Thanks in Adavan-ce (sorry couldn't help myself).
      04-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #308
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
So I have spent the last 3 hours driving around with my new stage 2 oil cooler and am very happy with the oil temps I have been getting.

From cool-ish outside temps of between 15 and 17 degrees and varying stop/start traffic (and putting the spurs to her) and the oil temp gauge never went past 105 degrees!!

In fact, when having to pull up for a red and the temp would go up to 105 it was heading south very quickly after driving off. I admit that its cold weather but that is still pretty good in my book.

This pic is basically where the dial sat for most of the last 3 hours of driving so thats what you would see with the stage 2.

Looking forward to seeing how this performs on Wednesday at the trackday. Thanks Pete and Justin.

Attachment 682764

Attachment 682765

P.S, yep, its Saturday night and yes I am a geek. Sigh, this is what I do.
This looks good. Nice to see proof of life and the system in action. Would be very curious to see what the performance is like at the track day.

I'm very concerned about how this will reflect in the Darwin heat/humidity.