BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Adaptive headlight module/oil cooler gasket... not covered by CPO?

2010 135, 55k miles but CPOd until 100k or 5/2016 (just found this out yesterday after having the car almost a year ), along with a MaxCare extended warranty through 120k or, like, 2021.

Anyway, the first serious cold day we had around here and my adaptive headlight module kicked the bucket, along with the H8 angel eye bulb on that side. Both headlights had issues with jiggling that had been fixed earlier this year, so the dealer knew it was a no brainer - the back, plastic headlight cover itself was cracked unmistakably. They didn't even give me any crap for replacing the H8s with Lux LEDs after I admitted to bungling the two $11 metal clips that secure the back headlight assembly cover and offering to pay for those myself.

However, despite finding a leak from the oil cooler gasket on top of the headlight module which was I was originally told would be covered by MaxCare but not CPO, I'm now being told (by the assistant service manager, who seems to be extremely honest and admitted to his mistake) that CPO coverage changed as of 1/1/2014, but the current level of coverage is based on when the vehicle was most recently purchased even though the CPO warranty follows the VIN/car's original "In Service" date, which leaves the adaptive headlight module uncovered by the CPO as well. I bought mine very early this year, so it certainly seems like the "new rules" would have applied if it were a car being turned into a new CPO directly from warranty - is that how a manu. warranty->CPO car functions in BMW's warranty coverage? Does it seem like that is actually the case, since my 5yr/50K BMW warranty ran out this year?

Also, anybody mind taking a look at the excluded items and trying to figure out why either of these items wouldn't be covered under the CPO? It's only a difference of $300 vs $50 (deductibles), but I want to make sure that I'm not getting dicked around. The "Not Covered" items are in the attached PDF or at this linkfrom BMWNA. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_CPO_what_is_not_covered_March2014.pdf (124.5 KB, 87 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I don't have the CPO warranty and am not familiar enough with the exclusions list so I don't want to provide any wrong information on that front.

Could you expand on your "jiggling" headlights? Do you mean they were jiggling or bouncing while you were driving and you could notice the bouncing light on the road or cars in front of you? I ask because I my headlights replaced a few months ago and I am experiencing this exact issue...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I don't have the CPO warranty and am not familiar enough with the exclusions list so I don't want to provide any wrong information on that front.

Could you expand on your "jiggling" headlights? Do you mean they were jiggling or bouncing while you were driving and you could notice the bouncing light on the road or cars in front of you? I ask because I my headlights replaced a few months ago and I am experiencing this exact issue...
Yep, that's exactly what was happening on my car. Apparently, the bolts were just loose, plus a tiny little clip was broken on the passenger side. Even after the bolts/clip, however, the passenger side one continued jiggling vertically a bit, when going on quick & firm bumps (or at high speeds on rough roads). I assume that this contributed to cracking the plastic back cover on the headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0