BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #45
smithtravel
Private
Rep
Drives:

G5Ti wrote: 5. If you live where it snows and you don't get winter tires for your 135, you are more courageous than I. It was fun for 4 days, but there were many white-knuckled moments with that car. It was so easy to make it slide and spin that I feared any road surface that didn't look 100% dry. My 128 with winter tires feels like a friggin' 4x4 in regard to traction and stability. (Side-note: DSC is amazing; you can almost drive without thinking, which might actually be a bad thing.)

True, but it's unfair to compare winter driving in a 128 with winter tires and a 135 with summer tires. The 135 is great in the snow if you have winter tires. I did an ED last month, put on rented winter tires and wheels immediately, and had a great week of driving. Experienced both snow and rain. The DSC got us through everything and the car was a blast on everything from one lane mountain roads to the autobahn.
Attached Images

01-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #46
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Well yeah even a 135i will be less fun to drive if it's a steptronic. A 6mt 135i would be a little more fun than a 128i 6mt I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #47
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
I'm still in the pre-purchase phase but I notice nobody mentions the difference in suspension between the 128 & 135. I prefer the softer suspension on the 128....yes I'm an old fart. :smile:
As a fellow old fart who had had it with my (non-sport) Z4's unforgiving ride, I test drove both sport and non-sport 128is over the same under construction and badly potholed route. My conclusion was that while the handling (and seats) with the SP was much better, the ride quality was almost the same. I ordered the 128i with the SP and 13,000 miles later, I'm very happy I did.
Please carefully evaluate both versions before ordering.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #48
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtravel View Post

A man and his car. What a great picture!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #49
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

+1 what Rawhide said. That must have a fantastic time. It makes me want to dust off my high-school German.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #50
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
... the ride quality was almost the same...
Tom
Yes, very close but noticeable and I think the same with the handling with the minimal 'spirited driving' that I did. I'll order the PP so the seats will be upgraded. The sport seats were OK but not that much better than the PP seats IMHO. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #51
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Yes, very close but noticeable and I think the same with the handling with the minimal 'spirited driving' that I did. I'll order the PP so the seats will be upgraded. The sport seats were OK but not that much better than the PP seats IMHO. Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like you've done your homework! But are you sure that the PP seats are an "upgrade"? On my Z4, they were simply the standard seats with power assist and memory added. My understanding is that to get the adjustable bolsters and thigh support, one needs to order the SP.
Whatever your choice, you'll love the 128i.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #52
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
..But are you sure that the PP seats are an "upgrade"? On my Z4, they were simply the standard seats with power assist and memory added. My understanding is that to get the adjustable bolsters and thigh support, one needs to order the SP.
You also get 4 way electric lumbar suppport....more important to me than thigh supports. The sports seats fit real snug and feel nice for a bit but I need lower back support for any driving of distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #53
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Wow, people here are so much more easy going than on m3post. Good write up, it's nice to see these cars from all viewpoints.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #54
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

SP + PP = Sport Seats w/ Lumbar

Quote:
You also get 4 way electric lumbar suppport....more important to me than thigh supports. The sports seats fit real snug and feel nice for a bit but I need lower back support for any driving of distance.
If you get both the Sport Package and the Premium Package you get the best of both worlds, the outstanding sport seats plus the power lumbar support and memory seats. Sport package is a bargain plus it will help resale value of any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #55
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

MrHarris-People here certainly on the easy-going side, and willing to see other viewpoints. That's why people who own/are considering a 128 (like me) get to have their say, and I can understand why some 135 owners still want to take their car to another level.

Jerez Black with Fox leather--when I daydream on the BMW configurator, that's the combo I always seem to "build." It must look tremendous!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #56
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
good read. i see what you mean about the 128i being more of a daily driver....because you're right, few of us (myself included) can use the power of the 135i. the power of the 135i is amazing....but how often can anyone really redline the thing in any gear except 1 and 2???

I, sadly, didn't drive a manual 128i before ordering my car. i only had the opportunity to drive a 128i automatic (super LAME)...to this day, i dont' know if i didn't like the 128i, or just the automatic. i do wish i at least had the opportunity to drive the 128i manual.... if i had, i may have a 128i parked outside instead of the 135i.
looks like you made the right decision, enjoy your car.
i test drove a 328 just to get a feel for the N52 with a manual transmission. it seriously made all the difference in the world.

to the OP, i had settled on the same conclusion, the 135 was just too much engine, if youre not paying close attention you will double the posted speed limit before you even know it. and to take advantage of what lies underneath your right foot cannot be done on public roads. the 128 at least lets you push its limits within plunging beyond the depths of sanity.

that being said, when i looked at the numbers in consideration of the wheels, steering wheel, brakes and cosmetics, there is no way i would have settled for the 128. mainly because it didnt offer the fuel efficiency i would require to justify that amount of compromise.. but you seem to have gotten much different fuel economy differences than what were originally being posted by owners...
Appreciate 0