BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

128 to Vt.?

...yeah I know, stupid question but the lack of driving my 1er is getting to me. Would you take your 1 on a ski trip?
Anyone else been to snow country with your 1?
I bought my 1 with the cold package, and pass thru. Already know my skis will fit. Also purchased the all weather floor mats.
Bottom line, Im torn, really want to drive the one on a road trip but dont want to end up in a ditch.(or the wall by that geico kid)
..btw if i see theres any chance of bigtime snow, no way Jose.
Oh yeah, no winter set up, just the GY 17" rf's.
So wanna drive her but my other choice is my work vehicle..GMC savanah van
:iono:
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I would only do it if you pickup a set of all weather tires to go with the all weather floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

from what i've heard the 1er's DTC holds up really well on icy road conditions. from what i know i've slipped 3 times going 25 mph on snowy roads with the summer set up just a couple weeks ago. i could keep control. the dumbass in the jeep, yes a jeep, tailgating me couldntand quite literally slipped into the shoulder. go carefully and EXTREMELY slow and even the summer setup will be manageable. but from what i've heard from other people, even the all seasons with the variety of traction control options will be better than most RWD cars. please correct me if i'm wrong, i only have access to my car about once every 2-4 weeks since i spend most of my time in school in baltimore, i know other people on here drive their baby more than that!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

With only the summer tires, I'd highly recommend against it.

Even with snow tires, I found that it was pretty easy to break traction/limit control. This was with me testing the car to see how far it could go before losing control.

actual driving wasn't too bad. with my snow tires i'd say i'm slightly better than an FWD car in All season tires and havn't had any oh-sh*t moments yet.

the traction control helped a lot, but making a left hand turn on compacted snow (basically ice) I had to make the turn at a littleral crawl to keep the TDS from kicking in.

no amount of traction control or ABS will keep your car on the road if you end up taking a turn too fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Oh yeah, no winter set up, just the GY 17" rf's.
:iono:
If by GY you mean the summer NCT5s, forget driving on snow or ice and be very, very wary of freezing temps - even on dry roads.
Put on a set of good winter tires (not the so-called 'all-seasons') and have at it!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Nobody has said it clearly enough.

Summer tires (the defaults with the 135) = certain death
Winter tires = good fun and better than many FWD cars with all seasons.
All Seasons = You can get by but it will be a bit dicey on occasion

It isn't the going that's the problem with summer tires. It is bad enough that you can't get the car moving but you're not likely to hurt yourself spinning the wheels. It is much worse when you're doing 20MPH and helplessly watch yourself slide right off the cliff and down the side of the mountain because the summer tires do not work at all in the snow.
      12-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
If by GY you mean the summer NCT5s, forget driving on snow or ice and be very, very wary of freezing temps - even on dry roads.
Put on a set of good winter tires (not the so-called 'all-seasons') and have at it!
Tom

Actually they are they LS 2!
Had some snow here in NY.
Dont think I can bring myself to take out the 1er just around town to check it out in the snow, let alone taking it on a road trip up Rt.100 N in Vt.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Actually they are they LS 2!
Had some snow here in NY.
Dont think I can bring myself to take out the 1er just around town to check it out in the snow, let alone taking it on a road trip up Rt.100 N in Vt.
It probably would be a good idea to get a sense of the traction provided by your "all-season" tires on a safe, local road - or, better still, a deserted parking lot.
But without winter tires, I'd stay away from Vt in the winter. Enjoy Rt. 100, Rt. 7 and all the other great roads when the weather warms up and there is no chance of the white stuff.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

With winter tires you shld hve no problems...hve fun

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
If you're going this week, don't go or buy winter tires. Up to 2 1/2 feet of snow in northern VT.

Wait.. I have snow tires so that means I can go to Jay !
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I just put winter tires on spare wheel set on mine, and spent plenty of time in the snow last 3 days here in CT - we got it pretty good. Anyway, after years of driving front drive all seasons, I've again confirmed what is well known. A rwd with good weight balance and snow tires is essentially only limited by the skill of the driver and the depth of the snow (if the car is lifter the tires spin no matter what).

(edit) - forgot to add that the DST/DCT is so good it's scary; with it on I can not get the car to fishtail much more than just a bit. Really very happy with this whole set-up. Surprised frankly.

Short version - get the winter tires on now, 'cause it's fun, safe and unless the snow is deep you can go skiing just like the 4x4's.

Pictures coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
If you're going this week, don't go or buy winter tires. Up to 2 1/2 feet of snow in northern VT.

Wait.. I have snow tires so that means I can go to Jay !
Well gonna take my other ride, a GMC Van try to get to Mad River Glen:headbang: on Thrusday.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
shmee150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 123d SE Coupe

My UK 123d is going to the french alps in 5 days; that's a 12hr drive or so and it is definitely braving the snow! Mind you it will by then have some winter tyres on it, and some chains in the boot! Through load ski system and roof rack will be loaded with 11 pairs of skis between 2 people, and an awesome road trip, owwww yeahh!

Tim
      12-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
post pics of your 11 pairs of skis on the car !
have a nice trip..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

so winter tires will survive VT winters?

just curious b/c i'll be moving up there for work and i dont want to ditch the 1er or have to buy another car.
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
Maine1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235xi

With winter tires on you'll be fine. I've had plenty of snow to deal with over the past week and it's been no problem. It's been fun switching into DTC and letting the back end cut loose a bit (make sure there is no traffic around of course). I did go with the 205 17" tires to get as much traction as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
shmee150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 123d SE Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
post pics of your 11 pairs of skis on the car !
have a nice trip..
We've decided to only go with 8 or maybe 9. Roof rack only take 6, and the through load system only really fits 2, 3 possibly at an uber squeeze.

Photos of my trip and the car in the mountains will definitely be put up!!

Tim
      12-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep

Thanks for the input on whether or not to bring my 128 to vt.
I did NOT! and glad I didnt.
Btw...even if I did get snows, I dont know if I could bring myself to take the 1er to snow country in the winter...
I forgot all the other issues when bringing a vehicle to the mountains, let alone skiing.

>Road debris, such as small rocks, kicked up, from sanders and other vehicles.

>Tons of pot holes, dont think I would want to get a flat without a spare, in Vt.! Some of these pot holes fill up with water and you cant see em. Or possible damage the pot holes can cause.

>Frost heaves, who knows what might happen if you hit a big one.

>Warmed up one day and had a lot of standing deep slushy water...can you say "hydrolock!"

>Our windshields crack just by looking at them, let alone having a snowplow in front of you. Not to think having to get 1/4" of ice off of it.

>Read something about "frozen windows" in very cold weather. Dont think I want to drive to the ski area with the window down while its snowing.(even with heated seats)

>Wet boots trashing the interior, even with winter mats.

>You dont smell so good after skiing all day, wouldnt want my 1er smelling like a locker room.

>Other skiers walking past your one with their skis and boards..you know your gonna get scratches!

>Probably have to wait for 2 days in Vt. or other remote areas to have BMW assist respond if theres a problem, dont think I would want a "no toothed" tow truck driver touching the 1.They dont always have flatbeds!

After all these thoughts, me thinks I leave the 1 in the garage for the winter. No matter what car you own, winter ages and trashes vehicles! I know these cars are meant to be driven, but you still gotta have common sense about where you drive em,(guess bottom line...depends on how passionate you are about your 1.)
:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
boxerdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Saphire 135i Spt & Prem

I agree with most of you.. the summer tires that came with my 135 almost kill me. I had no idea that it was going to be so bad in the snow. Slow or fast (if you can get any speed) it's a huge no. Now I have the 17" F11 Sport edition wheels from Tire Rack with their recommended Dumlops snow tires and I feel very safe in it. I also have an 08 Rabbit with front wheel drive (all season tires) and I prefer the 135 in the snow any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
boxerdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Saphire 135i Spt & Prem

it's your decision and you make some good points but most of the things in your list may never happen either. I live in Minnesota and snow and winter is something that I have to deal with all the time. I'm paying to much money for my 135 to sit in the garage and the way I see it, it was made to be driven an keeping a smile in my face when I'm driving it.
For some time I was debating between snow tires and getting an old Jeep or bitter for winter until a good friend asked me that how can pay to have a nice fun car and drive a piece of junk... that's when I decided to get the snow tires and enjoy it. This does not mean that I don't take good care of my 135. I also have an small electric pressure washer, I clean the salt off everywhere as often as often as possible and keep it a heated garage at home.. my advise, drive it every time you can...
Appreciate 0