BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #67
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

in lieu if I can find a kick ass deal on the BMWPE that will be the deal, but until then the BERK is my personal preference
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #68
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

and to the STIG: thanks brosepticon they do sound great IMO but Ill keep my fingers crossed in regards to a sale
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #69
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884
@Bimmer-bob.....theres different strokes for different folks. There are VERY few SR-intakes for the 128i that show any performance gain let alone a dyno proving they lose *any substantial* amount of power. I appreciate the sound and the throttle response. In regards to the exhuast we don't have many options let alone EVEN FEWER show any gains. The BMWPE is nice *thus why it is on my list* however I prefer a tone thats aggressive and deep thus the berk. And from a time/financial standpoint the berk can be had for $520 shipped new the BMWPE for $700 or so...since I can cut and weld myself I don't see much of an issue
How do you really know what the Berk 135i exhaust sounds like on a 128i? Seen one in person? I understand "different strokes for different folks" but I don't really get modifying your car in a way that's outside the norm for the sole sake of being different. IMO there should be a clearly identifiable objective for any mod.

Regarding the intake, I also don't get how any loss of power, however slight, is an acceptable consequence to a mod. You're literally paying for less! It's your car and your money, however, so by all means spend it as you wish. But if you start posting about wanting a tune or looking for more power, don't be surprised if someone tells you to start by losing the Injen intake.
      09-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #70
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL theres a guy in the area with a Berk exhaust and after hearing it im sold. And thanks for your concern over the whole *performance* thing but I am thoroughly aware of the capabilities (or even lackthereof) for the injen intake. I personally haven't seen any dynos regarding the injen causing the loss of power but hey if you find some feel free to post or shoot me a link. If i wanted more power obviously the DISA manifold and the Evolve tune is where I would go *since I've seen dynos showing the gains*
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #71
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
How do you really know what the Berk 135i exhaust sounds like on a 128i? Seen one in person? I understand "different strokes for different folks" but I don't really get modifying your car in a way that's outside the norm for the sole sake of being different. IMO there should be a clearly identifiable objective for any mod.

Regarding the intake, I also don't get how any loss of power, however slight, is an acceptable consequence to a mod. You're literally paying for less! It's your car and your money, however, so by all means spend it as you wish. But if you start posting about wanting a tune or looking for more power, don't be surprised if someone tells you to start by losing the Injen intake.
You are one of my favorite posters/users.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #72
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

PE exhaust for $611.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=321171557525
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #73
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

lol FUK and it just sold HAHAHHA well hopefully they stock them regularly
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #74
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:

You are one of my favorite posters/users.
Likewise.

And I'm honestly not trying to be an ass to Berk/Injen guy, but I guess I get impatient with typical tuner mentality. Not that I know everything - but I do know the open design that Injen uses is prone to heat soak (no dyno needed to prove simple physics, btw).
      09-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #75
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL funny but @bimmerbob I understand the point your getting across and I am aware of the "heat soak" but nonetheless I am still enjoying the "mod" if you will.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #76
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Likewise.

And I'm honestly not trying to be an ass to Berk/Injen guy, but I guess I get impatient with typical tuner mentality. Not that I know everything - but I do know the open design that Injen uses is prone to heat soak (no dyno needed to prove simple physics, btw).
There are a large number of people who just need to change things, most of whom do not realize how well the stock parts are made on these cars or the functionality of what they are installing.

Large heavy weak "luxury wheels", slamming a car that is already near its optimal ride height limit, open air intakes, "custom exhausts", spacers, and all the rest. I'm definitely losing my patience for it. Especially when the owners talk about how much better the car "feels" after.

Could be worse though. At least we don't get too much of the "stretched euros" stancetard crowd here.
      09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #77
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Mechavore, do your thing man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
There are a large number of people who just need to change things, most of whom do not realize how well the stock parts are made on these cars or the functionality of what they are installing.

Large heavy weak "luxury wheels", slamming a car that is already near its optimal ride height limit, open air intakes, "custom exhausts", spacers, and all the rest. I'm definitely losing my patience for it. Especially when the owners talk about how much better the car "feels" after.

Could be worse though. At least we don't get too much of the "stretched euros" stancetard crowd here.
^You know how flattered I get when you talk about me!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #78
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Well said.

Sometimes I worry that this place is becoming too dumbed down, but then I head over to E90Post and I'm reminded that we actually have a pretty solid community. It's mind-numbing over there. Having a niche vehicle certainly limits aftermarket support somewhat, but it sure seems to keep out a lot of stupid, too.
      09-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #79
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Well said.
+1.

I've always kept my cars stock... I leave well enough alone.
      09-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #80
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
+1.

I've always kept my cars stock... I leave well enough alone.
For most people, that's a good option.

For those of us who are willing to do what it takes(spend a lot of money/research) to upgrade over stock components, there are options.
      09-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #81
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Snapped a quick pic as promised. M3 front arms make the car feel better than new (even at just 26,500 miles, there was quite a bit of slop in my old arms). Alignment & corner balance along with a bunch of other work I've done in the last month (wheels, tires, springs, subframe bushings - see my garage for detailed info if interested) and the car is absolutely transformed and driving better than it ever has. Now I just need to do the DISA intake manifold (currently sitting in my garage) + tune and I should be pretty good for a while.
Attached Images

09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #82
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Snapped a quick pic as promised. M3 front arms make the car feel better than new (even at just 26,500 miles, there was quite a bit of slop in my old arms). Alignment & corner balance along with a bunch of other work I've done in the last month (wheels, tires, springs, subframe bushings - see my garage for detailed info if interested) and the car is absolutely transformed and driving better than it ever has. Now I just need to do the DISA intake manifold (currently sitting in my garage) + tune and I should be pretty good for a while.
those LCI tails look great!
      09-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #83
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stop tempting me on the arms!

Your car looks excellent by the way. And who am I kidding, they are on the list.
      09-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #84
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Snapped a quick pic as promised.
I liked your silver wheels (your sig pic) more.
      09-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #85
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Window regulator fix... Fun
Oil Change.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #86
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Stop tempting me on the arms!

Your car looks excellent by the way. And who am I kidding, they are on the list.
+1 Red & black mmm

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #87
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Window regulator fix... Fun
Oil Change.
Interesting you had one go, generally the coupes are fairly immune compared to the sedans. I've done a ton though, so I imagine it won't be so bad.
      09-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #88
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting you had one go)
The fail point was the end cap on the top rear cable.
From there the motor chewed up the spindle thing & defromed cable

I have attempted to recrate the end cap and flatten the cable much. But due to the cable being deformed in the spindle/motor. I was not able to make the fix last long on dry runs ( no glass, attached to motor & power). Buyign new regulator assembly :S

Hot tip - Once your window drops, DO NOT use window controls more than once. This way you may have a chance to fix the failed point.

Appreciate 0