BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

QR BMW track day

Chaps after seeing the footage kindly
Posted from the QR track day all I can say is it looks like a nice and friendly track and I for one am keep to have a go.

I thinking that of we could organize a BMW day would anyone be interested?

So the Mexicans while more than welcome I appreciate it is a long way! But for the nsw folk I was thinking drive up the day before stay the night and drive the next day and drive home the following day. So a Friday or Monday track day would be good???? And the cane toads well they are there so I guess any day would be good??

So is anyone interested in a casual drive up north and a less casual drive around what looks like a pretty friendly track?

I guess I'd be looking to one of the QLDers to help with track availability
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sounds like a great idea. We could have a friendly QLD v NSW competition

All I can say is, after doing the Bris to Sydney run before, you need more than a day to recover. That being said I get tired doing long drives very easily.

If it's planned well, we could even do a photoshoot.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Posted from the QR track day all I can say is it looks like a nice and friendly track and I for one am keep to have a go.

So the Mexicans while more than welcome I appreciate it is a long way! But for the nsw folk I was thinking drive up the day before stay the night and drive the next day and drive home the following day. So a Friday or Monday track day would be good???? And the cane toads well they are there so I guess any day would be good??

So is anyone interested in a casual drive up north and a less casual drive around what looks like a pretty friendly track?

Just how much free time do u have Pav? Don't you work?
I get sick a lot
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:

God dam it Pav i struggle to get to Easton Creek and that is only 10 minutes from work . QLD raceway would never happen for me, The boss would have me driving around all over the place looking for Antique shops and wine tasting

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 08-31-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Quote:

God dam it Pav i struggle to get to Easton Creek and that is only 10 minuets from work . QLD raceway would never happen for me, The boss would have me driving around all over the place looking for Antique shops and wine tasting
Pete...... Grow a set man!

Btw there is no wine worth drinking north of the hunter

Edit:Pete I know if you want it to happen, it will!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If you can organise the NSW team to come up for QR for a Stage of Origin. I will be there. Just to remind you I struggled to get you guys to go Coffs Harbour last year.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

All I can say is, after doing the Bris to Sydney run before, you need more than a day to recover. That being said I get tired doing long drives very easily.

Morgan Park at Warwick may be a good spot for such a thing. A bit closer for the NSW folk and a more interesting track.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal
Quote:

Morgan Park at Warwick may be a good spot for such a thing. A bit closer for the NSW folk and a more interesting track.
Is it 'forgiving' for novices ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal
Quote:

Any footage? I liked the QR track as it looked like plenty of runoff, looked pretty smooth and it looked pretty easy for everyone, while still providing the option of pushing it

I also like the sound of a state of origin that nsw actually have a chance of winning, cause we all know we've got stuff all chance in the footy.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Any footage? I liked the QR track as it looked like plenty of runoff, looked pretty smooth and it looked pretty easy for everyone, while still providing the option of pushing it

I also like the sound of a state of origin that nsw actually have a chance of winning, cause we all know we've got stuff all chance in the footy.
QR is a safe track but it's very hard on the engine and brakes. I've only ever done a half day which is 6 sessions and my car has probably completed 5% of the sessions without limp, ever. Definitely need to make sure everything is running right before you head out there. The problem most of the time is that you don't know you have any issues until you go out there because it's hard to replicate or simulate that kind of abuse on the street, so you assume everything is perfect. Plenty of run off except for the last corner heading onto Dick Johnson straight so just be wary of that as a lot of us like to go around that last bend sideways QR is horsepower first, handling second. Very fun if you've got a quick car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I would be interested in something like this but maybe a halfway meet.
If it happens it will have to be in the next 3 months cause summer is coming.
BTW Only good thing in QLD is taking the kids to the theme parks.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Would be great to see you guys come up here. I'd even dig out my Blues jersey!
While QR is the safest track I've been on & there's heaps of run-off, I've still seen guys run off at turns 1 & 6 & hit the wall. Morgan Park in Warwick may be a good option but it's not as safe - & dealing with the track owner is (well certainly used to be) much harder than dealing with the guy who runs QR & Lakeside. Lakeside would be a more memorable, fun circuit but's a bit scarier when you push it.
      09-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
kb135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey

This sounds really interesting. I've never tracked before but I've always wanted to. only got the JB4 and DCI but a whole heap of performance parts FMIC, DPs suspension components etc on order from Stu@BMR. Hopefully they arrive before this but even still I'm keen. If its a weekend event I'd be even more likely to attend. I will watch this space.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Would be great to see you guys come up here. I'd even dig out my Blues jersey!
While QR is the safest track I've been on & there's heaps of run-off, I've still seen guys run off at turns 1 & 6 & hit the wall. Morgan Park in Warwick may be a good option but it's not as safe - & dealing with the track owner is (well certainly used to be) much harder than dealing with the guy who runs QR & Lakeside. Lakeside would be a more memorable, fun circuit but's a bit scarier when you push it.
He is still, shall we say....... difficult.

Google Morgan Park raceway - Warwick and check out the layout.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb135 View Post
This sounds really interesting. I've never tracked before but I've always wanted to. only got the JB4 and DCI but a whole heap of performance parts FMIC, DPs suspension components etc on order from Stu@BMR. Hopefully they arrive before this but even still I'm keen. If its a weekend event I'd be even more likely to attend. I will watch this space.
Give it a go kb. Even if you were the slowest guy/girl on the track (not likely), you'll still go home with a big smile on your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
He is still, shall we say....... difficult.

Google Morgan Park raceway - Warwick and check out the layout.
It's be quite a few years since I've been to Morgan Park & I haven't seen the new layout. 'Used to be a fun circuit.
      09-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

dafuq is wrong with you pcock. Travel interstate just to go track? Total nutjob lololol.

Anyway I don't mind a long drive, just did melbourne and back last weekend. At least with driving to Melbourne you end up in a decent place. I can't help but think that the best part about going to QLD would just be the drive itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90
dafuq is wrong with you pcock. Travel interstate just to go track? Total nutjob lololol.

Anyway I don't mind a long drive, just did melbourne and back last weekend. At least with driving to Melbourne you end up in a decent place. I can't help but think that the best part about going to QLD would just be the drive itself.
Woah....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0123 View Post
Woah....
eyyyy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
He's just worried if he visits here he won't want to go home again... like most other mexicans!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
He's just worried if he visits here he won't want to go home again... like most other mexicans!
Shall I extend an invite to Tay and Rossi as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Oh hell yes! I know a great coffee shop nearby. Although, I doubt they'd want to bring their supercars that far? Might get dirty...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
kb135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Give it a go kb. Even if you were the slowest guy/girl on the track (not likely), you'll still go home with a big smile on your face.
Yeah from what I've read theses track days are loads of fun! and considering I'm running out of licence points (not due to racing btw!) I need to start going to a track to make use of my horses.
Appreciate 0