BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

kw v3 or kw clubsport PLEASE HELP

I'm trying to decide on what coilovers to get I'm kinda getting dizzy with all these coilover option's . how do these compare to tckline or ohlins how she the kw v3 for track and some daily driving? or the clubsport kw?
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

I have the kwv3's with Dinan camber plates, m3 arms f&r, apex wheels with 245 F and 265r tires and my car with alignment at -2.5F and -1.6 r camber.
I have done a lot of track days with past cars, so I set my car up where I consider it to be a good balance between street and track capable. This car is not going to see a track as its a convertible, but the setup is neutral and wants to oversteer when pushed hard. You need to respect it as it will rotate, and it is light years better than stock.

I talked to TC Kline for about a half hour on car setup, they know there stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy there setup. I got a smoking deal on the KW's or that is what I would have.

I may end up purchasing the swift spring rear conversion on my car so I can go stiffer in the rear after I get more accustomed to this setup. Coming from an S2000 all I can say is I like rotation!!!

For a street car, the KWV3 ride is excellent. Exactly what I expected firm, controlled, and confidence inspiring.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

IMO, I think the money is well spent for TCK DAs.

I run them, and the knowledge is incredible. I have #400 fronts and #700 rears.

The valving is tuned to TC's liking and is wonderful. I can run full soft and not even notice the stiff springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Talk to Harold at HP autosport. They sell all the top brands and will give you a better idea what you should buy based on your car and your driving habits.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
I have the kwv3's with Dinan camber plates, m3 arms f&r, apex wheels with 245 F and 265r tires and my car with alignment at -2.5F and -1.6 r camber.
I have done a lot of track days with past cars, so I set my car up where I consider it to be a good balance between street and track capable. This car is not going to see a track as its a convertible, but the setup is neutral and wants to oversteer when pushed hard. You need to respect it as it will rotate, and it is light years better than stock.

I talked to TC Kline for about a half hour on car setup, they know there stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy there setup. I got a smoking deal on the KW's or that is what I would have.

I may end up purchasing the swift spring rear conversion on my car so I can go stiffer in the rear after I get more accustomed to this setup. Coming from an S2000 all I can say is I like rotation!!!

For a street car, the KWV3 ride is excellent. Exactly what I expected firm, controlled, and confidence inspiring.

hope this helps
How's tire wear with -2.5 up front? I take it you have 0 toe? Also does KW reuse stock spring perch, was that why you were able to use Dinan plates or did you have to modify anything? I'm considering the KW Street Comforts + Dinan...
      04-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

For that money? Ohlins+Swift conversion.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
How's tire wear with -2.5 up front? I take it you have 0 toe? Also does KW reuse stock spring perch, was that why you were able to use Dinan plates or did you have to modify anything? I'm considering the KW Street Comforts + Dinan...
A bit early to tell with only 400-500 miles on the setup so far. Yes, I have zero toe and I dont expect wear to be too bad.
Yes, as far as I know KWv1/2/3 and street comfort all reuse the stock spring perch and top hat. (I think the clubsport has integrated camber plates).
The Dinan plate just bolts to the stock top hat after you remove the 3 OEM studs from the top hat (I had a shop install mine). Nothing modified other than removing those studs.

BTW, my cars -2.5 camber was the least even camber I could get with my setup using the limited adjustment. I could get a bit more, maybe -2.7 or so if I wanted.

***I just put two and two together, thanks for selling me the camber plates! love them
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
A bit early to tell with only 400-500 miles on the setup so far. Yes, I have zero toe and I dont expect wear to be too bad.
Yes, as far as I know KWv1/2/3 and street comfort all reuse the stock spring perch and top hat. (I think the clubsport has integrated camber plates).
The Dinan plate just bolts to the stock top hat after you remove the 3 OEM studs from the top hat (I had a shop install mine). Nothing modified other than removing those studs.

BTW, my cars -2.5 camber was the least even camber I could get with my setup using the limited adjustment. I could get a bit more, maybe -2.7 or so if I wanted.

***I just put two and two together, thanks for selling me the camber plates! love them
LOL all good, I sold them thinking I would stick with factory suspension but that was before I saw KW had their Street Comfort setup, seems exactly what I'm looking for. Linear springs but comfort focused at a decent price point.