BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Some people shouldn't buy BMW's

Namely, the original owner of my 2011 128i. I spent all of last Saturday compounding it, and the damage to the clearcoat is irreparable. Water spotting, scratches, you name it. I don't think this car ever saw another coat of wax after it left the dealer- in Florida, of all places. I did the best I could with it, and it actually looks pretty good outside from 10 feet away. Inside my garage, close up under bright LED lights is another matter. Even the windshield has heavy water spotting and wiper scratches.
I bought it from a dealer who did a respectable job with the paint, but plastered glaze on it to hide the original paint damage. Three months later, after claying the car, the true condition of the paint was painfully obvious. I was considering wet sanding, but I just couldn't make myself get that aggressive, without knowing the actual thickness of the paint. I guess I'll just have to live with it. I told my wife that the car really needs a respray. She was not cool about that!
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure many of you can sympathize.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
My car is black and has hard water spots on the flat surfaces(hood, roof, trunklid). I hit up the hood yesterday with Meguiars M105 and then followed with M205 while applying some pressure using an orbital buffer and it looks awesome now(almost new). I would say it removed all the water spots and like 98% of swirl marks and light scratches. If it's really severe you can do wet sanding, I did it once with a kit from 3M and it does work wonders. I would recommend trying some compounds from Meguiars and see how far they get you.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Tallicia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1 series

Garage List
2013 X6  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i M Spo ...  [0.00]
Time for a vinyl wrap?
      07-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallicia View Post
Time for a vinyl wrap?
I thought about that. I wonder what the cost would be to wrap an entire 1er.
I used Chemical guys V32 on the hood, which is pretty aggressive. I am extremely nervous about the thickness of the clear coat, even though I seriously doubt the first owner ever put compound to it. The dealer I bought it from definitely DA'd it, though. There were tons of DA polishing marks in it.
Bottom line is that I just have to get used to it. If I could find someone with a paint thickness tester, I might get the nerve up to wet sand. I do have some 3M Trizact sheets if I decide to go that route. That stuff is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
If you plan on keeping the car long enough, pay a professional to do full paint correction via wet sanding, and then have it protected with a ceramic coating. I won't come cheap, but you'll be wishing you had it done earlier.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

If it had polishing trail marks it probably came through an auction house. I second the ceramic coat that stuff looks awesome. I have used chemical guys version of it and have been happy with the results. Can't think of the name but it's $150 for an ounce. Carbon flex I think? Ceramic coat is probably 100 different and better at 100 times the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Namely, the original owner of my 2011 128i. I spent all of last Saturday compounding it, and the damage to the clearcoat is irreparable. Water spotting, scratches, you name it. I don't think this car ever saw another coat of wax after it left the dealer- in Florida, of all places. I did the best I could with it, and it actually looks pretty good outside from 10 feet away. Inside my garage, close up under bright LED lights is another matter. Even the windshield has heavy water spotting and wiper scratches.
I bought it from a dealer who did a respectable job with the paint, but plastered glaze on it to hide the original paint damage. Three months later, after claying the car, the true condition of the paint was painfully obvious. I was considering wet sanding, but I just couldn't make myself get that aggressive, without knowing the actual thickness of the paint. I guess I'll just have to live with it. I told my wife that the car really needs a respray. She was not cool about that!
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure many of you can sympathize.
Oh man I think we're in the exact same position. Florida. Overall my paint is in good shape. Outside in sunlight it's a 5ft job. Shiny, pretty deep and uniform.

In my garage with my "working on the car" bright fluorescent lights on, there's water spots, swirls, oxidation, you name it. I've clayed it I think 3-4 times now (usually every time I wax it, which is every 3 months). Then I've tried polishing it, and paying a friend who knows more to do it but it only reduced the damage, not got rid of it. The clear coat is really hard so even a medium cut didn't do a whole lot. We both ended the session with "I don't know how deep the clear is so I don't want to cut too heavy."

The polishing got rid of a small layer of "haze" I didn't even know was there, which made the swirls even more visible (although they're still minuscule in the grand scheme of things).

Not to mention the PO installed dings. Some of them I can't blame him for, though, they look like parking lot dings. But I did finally get around to using a little bit of compound and getting traded paint out of the rear bumper where something was dropped loading it into the trunk, and the side skirt that who knows what happened.

But let's not talk about the state my front bumper is in.

I've just learned to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hear you, Desertman. Everybody says my car looks great, but I'm a picky guy when it comes to paint. I ordered a MINI Cooper S in 2003, chili red body and matching roof. The paint on that thing is one of the best factory jobs I've seen on anything short of high end luxury/exotic cars. Especially the roof, which gets painted white before the body color, so it's extremely thick. I told my wife I am ready to sell it, but honestly it's hard to, since I have so much invested in it!
Appreciate 1