E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 order a now or wait to see the 2006 IS350

06-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
macintoshse
Registered
Rep
Drives: B

E90 order now or wait to see the 2006 IS350

What do you guy think of the specs. and looks of the new Lexus IS350. I like the looks of the E90 but from what I have seen so far the Lexus does not look that bad. Have driven the 330/sp I love the car but I want to make am informed choice because I plan to keep the car 7 to 8 years. This being the case, Lexus great reliable comes into play. I have listen to; to many stories about don’t keep a BMW pass its' warranty period.

In my heart I want the BMW but my mind says wait and check out the IS
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
BMW Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 Maxima

I heard initially there won't be a MT available, at least not in the first year(could be wrong). I haven't seen it in person but from the pictures I'm not that impressed. Plus I doubt a Lexus will even come close to giving you the same driving experience as a BMW. If you don't go with your heart you may be disappointed later. Just MHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

wait untill you can test drive it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

if ur in no hurry, then wait til u can personally compare them urself. dont let others make up ur mind for u for a 30-40k investment, perhaps more. all we can do is tell u what we would do, and im sure u already kno we're all gonna tell u to get the bmw, afterall, it is a better car
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggax23
if ur in no hurry, then wait til u can personally compare them urself. dont let others make up ur mind for u for a 30-40k investment, perhaps more. all we can do is tell u what we would do, and im sure u already kno we're all gonna tell u to get the bmw, afterall, it is a better car
Very true. You know I was going to get the IS350 in the fall, but I didn't want to wait and I wanted to have a new car for the summer. But, if you are going to spend over $30,000 for a car, you might as well wait and see which of the two you like better because after all, you don't want to be paying for something every month you didn't even want in the first place. However, I'm very satisfied with my new bimmer and I couldn't ask for anything else, so the new lexus is kind of the last thing on my mind now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

for the ultimate luxury/dependable/boring as heck to drive
you can't beat a lexus. I read you will only be able to get a manual tranny with the smaller motor, 350 will be auto only

BMW's are well built and will last you 7-8 years if you care for them. If you're an enthusiast there's only one choice. but if you consider your car more of an appliance than something you enjoy driving the lexus may be for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
If you have the time, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to wait. I think the IS350 will come with SMG. Echoing what's already been said, don't let others discourage you from getting what you feel is the best value for your money. I personally can't wait to experience how the new IS will perform for myself. I'm sure it's going to be a real solid competitor to the 3 series for the long-term, and I'm sure Lexus has put in a lot of effort and resources into this.

Then again, we all know who sets the bar. It's lonely at the top, and everyone wants to take their shots. Oh well... I will always prefer the situation where the competition is fierce to earn my money!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

check out this thread. I don't see Lexus or Inifiniti in there making a splash.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep

I read all the car mags and haven't seen/heard a thing about the lexus having SMG in any model in it's line or upcoming. I'd be very surprised for such a laggard in performance related technology give it's customer such a high tech gizmo. many people confuse step,tip, whatever tronic with a true SMG
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Oh no, I mean an SMG with the paddles and such. I've seen the pictures from the car shows. In fact, I could have sworn someone posted a interior picture of the new IS on this very forum somewhere, and you can see the paddles. Whatever Lexus's reputation is, they've clearly stated that this new IS will be very performance orientated and that it is important to them for this to be successful. I'm sure they've done their market research and will put out a car suitable of competing with the 3 series. Let the games begin!

Last edited by RedStripe; 06-03-2005 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep

I'll believe it when I see it,

they said the same thing about the IS300 before it came out

the competition is good since it makes BMW raise the bar
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
CorporalCarrot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW M3

Personally

I would wait and check out the IS350. Here in Ireland, with our Registration plate system, it doesn't really make sense to buy a private car in the second half of the year, since its instantly one year old as soon as January 1st hits. So I'm gonna wait and check it out.

Lexus have improved their cars no end with every iteration, and I find it curious that here and elsewhere people are automatically writing the IS350 off without having ever seen it in the flesh let alone driven it.

Personally as far as looks go, I think the IS350 is just as good looking as the E90 which is nothing special, it will undoubtedly be superb value with tons of stuff standard that are costly options on the E90, so the only thing that remains is the driving experience.

I doubt it will touch the E90 here, but I am prepared to hold judgement and see.

C
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
Gnosis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i on order :-)

Actually - I don't get the way you're thinking. You want to buy a brand new car of the latest model - but then you want to keep it for about 8 years?

If you like to have the newest car on the block then you wouldn't keep it for 8 years.....

And if you want to be economical about it you wouldn't buy a brand new car. Then it's better to buy a slightly used car and keep it for 2-3 years.

Like the current BMW 540 for example - buy a good second hand example and keep it for about 2 years. It won't lose that much of it's value. And you can trade it in for a nice second hand BMW E90 - which you'll keep for 2 years and so on..... get my point?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
shipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5-Speed

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Oh no, I mean an SMG with the paddles and such. I've seen the pictures from the car shows. In fact, I could have sworn someone posted a interior picture of the new IS on this very forum somewhere, and you can see the paddles.
If I recall correctly, the IS350 will have paddles to shift the slushbox that connects its (seemingly) fine motor to its rear wheels. So far at least, any transmission beyond the already announced automatic is purely speculation by the masses. Personally, I'm doubting that Lexus will step up to the plate on this one as they seem to moving away from the pure sporting intent of current IS300. So, for the moment at least, no 3-Pedal manual for the IS350, and no SMG/DSGesque transmission for either new model.

Best Regards,
Shipo
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
HiTEC
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Oh no, I mean an SMG with the paddles and such. I've seen the pictures from the car shows. In fact, I could have sworn someone posted a interior picture of the new IS on this very forum somewhere, and you can see the paddles. Whatever Lexus's reputation is, they've clearly stated that this new IS will be very performance orientated and that it is important to them for this to be successful. I'm sure they've done their market research and will put out a car suitable of competing with the 3 series. Let the games begin!
Just because a car has paddles to shift the car does not mean it's SMG. An SMG transmission is a manual transmission that automatically operates the clutch for you (it has NO torque convertor). To my knowledge there are only a couple companies selling such a transmission today (BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Toyota MR2). Any other car, such as Pontiac that pushes the fact their car has paddles is just trying to confuse people. These cars are still regular automatic transmissions with torque convertors with the addition of paddles that let you select what gear you are in from the paddles (just like moving automatic stick).

Truely the auto cars out with paddle shifting autos (step, tip, etc..) are no different from the autos we've always seen other than they are computer controlled and maybe have an extra gear or two over what we saw 20 years ago. The torque convertor which is the main component of the auto tranny contributes to a lot of drive-line power loss. Manuals and true SMG type transmissions do not have torque convertors.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

do you think youll be able to turn off traction controll on the new IS if it has traction controll?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #17
ward
Major General
Rep

I know you can't turn it off on the new GS, the testers complian that the computer intervenes much earlier than they'd like.

The IS may try and be sportier, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put over agressive stability control on that too
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #18
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Actually - I don't get the way you're thinking. You want to buy a brand new car of the latest model - but then you want to keep it for about 8 years?

If you like to have the newest car on the block then you wouldn't keep it for 8 years.....

And if you want to be economical about it you wouldn't buy a brand new car. Then it's better to buy a slightly used car and keep it for 2-3 years.

Like the current BMW 540 for example - buy a good second hand example and keep it for about 2 years. It won't lose that much of it's value. And you can trade it in for a nice second hand BMW E90 - which you'll keep for 2 years and so on..... get my point?
While you make some vaild points, you need to consider that if one does plan on keeping a car for 8 years, they darn well want to make a purchase that maximizes the fiscal and physcial (design model) characteristics. In other words, by buying a brand new model, they will be driving a "current" design for 5-6 years of that time. I share this perspective - which is why I purchased an '06 E90 330i over a used S4.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #19
ward
Major General
Rep

a bmw will be the current style for longer than most manufacturers,
look at the last 3 3 series
E30- 84-91
E36 92-99
E46 99-05
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #20
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
a bmw will be the current style for longer than most manufacturers,
look at the last 3 3 series
E30- 84-91
E36 92-99
E46 99-05

Indeed!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2005, 05:29 AM   #21
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTEC

Truely the auto cars out with paddle shifting autos (step, tip, etc..) are no different from the autos we've always seen other than they are computer controlled and maybe have an extra gear or two over what we saw 20 years ago. The torque convertor which is the main component of the auto tranny contributes to a lot of drive-line power loss. Manuals and true SMG type transmissions do not have torque convertors.
Thanks HiTEC.... I was about to start my "The Mechanical Differences Between Automatics and Manuals" class. I hate that these poser companies like Pontiac confuse the difference between a sequential-manual gearbox and a traditional auto slush-box. What makes it even worse is that 80% of the Automotive Journalists out there don't seem to know the difference either. After reading a very misinforming article about BMW's SMG tranny and how the author didn't like how jerky it shifted, I actually emailed this journalist (thetruthaboutcars.com) and asked him what was the mechanical differences between a Triptronic transmission and a DSG/SMG. Of course he tried to sidestep my question and give a bunch of BS, but I knew right away he didn't have a CLUE. BTW, you can also add Smart to the list of sequential transmissions too. I used to own one that had a 6 speed sequential manual transmission with an automatic clutch.

Automatics and manuals are completely different beasts. Not only do they have different coupling devices (torque-converters vs clutches), but the entire gear assembly is completely different. Manuals are pretty straight forward in their concept. They have rows of gears and levers that engaged and disengage them. Automatics have a LABERYNTH of hydraulics, clutch-packs, and huge ring gears. Automatics are extremely complicated whereas manuals are not. Manuals have the advantage that their clutch provides SOLID connection between the engine and transmission, whereas an automatic's torque converter provides a liquid connection that is designed to have slipage between the two.

Last edited by voltron1011; 06-05-2005 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #22
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

You should wait and check out the Lexus IS350 to satisfy yourself. However a Lexus is not a BMW. The e90 is the best in the world in its class. If money is an issue, just do Euro Delivery.
Appreciate 0