BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #177
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Balls! It's the N54, so looks like I should've ordered an extra bottle. Nevermind, it has been dispatched now, so it's too late. I saw other threads saying that it held less, so thought I'd be OK. Nevermind.

Same for the diff. I ordered 2 litres, so I assume that isn't enough? Maybe I can amend that order though.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #178
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Balls! It's the N54, so looks like I should've ordered an extra bottle. Nevermind, it has been dispatched now, so it's too late. I saw other threads saying that it held less, so thought I'd be OK. Nevermind.

Same for the diff. I ordered 2 litres, so I assume that isn't enough? Maybe I can amend that order though.
You will have enough to change the fluids once.

Like I said the N54 trans holds just over 2.1L and the diff holds 1.2L. You will be fine for that first fluid change. For the next one you will need more oil though.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #179
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah well, I ordered the bottle of each. Managed to catch the diff order before it went out, but the transmission fluid is separate. As you say, at least I have enough to do the first one this weekend (weather permitting).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #180
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ah well, I ordered the bottle of each. Managed to catch the diff order before it went out, but the transmission fluid is separate. As you say, at least I have enough to do the first one this weekend (weather permitting).
Make sure you have a 14mm hex socket for the diff plug and something sturdy to suck out the old fluid.

For the trans you will need a stuby 8mm hex(less then an inch in total length) on a socket or a short L-shaped allen wrench. You can use a 7mm or 8mm deep 1/4 socket(on the end of a LONG 1/4 extension) on the end of the L-shaped allen for extra leverage to open the fill hole. It won't be that tight anyways.

The clearance gap is tight between the upper trans and the car's body/tunnel area. IF you have a 1/4 inch ratchet and a stubby 8mm hex, you will be ok. I would also have a traditional 8mm L-shaped allen on hand just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #181
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Dackel, luckily I checked my tools yesterday morning and realised I didn't have those sizes, so ordered them yesterday. Well, I had an 8mm, but it was pretty long. I hope the new one I ordered is short enough to fit.

I think I probably have the correct allen wrenches too, just in case. I also have some magnetic drain plugs to use in the transmission and diff which have been waiting around for a few months to be fitted! Can you rememeber what the torque specs are? I hope I can get my torque wrenches in the small gaps...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #182
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so I did the fluid this weekend. This was how the old stuff looked. Lots of little gold bits in it. Is that to be expected? Car has just under 39k on the clock.

Also the fluid at the bottom of the diff was pretty horrible looking...

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #183
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so I did the fluid this weekend. This was how the old stuff looked. Lots of little gold bits in it...

That is not good. Those little gold bits are probably brass from your synchro rings inside your gearbox.

Do you have any shifting issues?

Does your trans shifter better or worse now - post fluid change?

IF it was my trans I would send that oil sample out for annalist. AND I would change the oil again and see IF you are still getting those gold bits. They are coming from somewhere. I would change your oil again - soon.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #184
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh great. So yours didn't have any of that in when you did it?

I'm doing another change soon, maybe in 2 weeks, to ensure I get everything out.

Now the fluid is new it feels about the same. Maybe a little smoother, but I've not yet gone far since I changed it. Only issue I have is sometimes not being able to get into first at a set of lights when I've stopped and sat with the car in neutral. I just let the clutch out and put it back in again and it goes in. Otherwise it's mostly fine. A bit stiff between first and second, but I think it's normal, I dunno.

What would an analysis tell me? The oil is now in the bottles that the new fluid came in, ready for the bin men to collect. Is it worth grabbing it in then?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #185
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Remember, until now the fluid was most likely never changed. The car is at approx 39,000 miles (just under). I was hoping that was pretty normal for the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #186
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

Quote:
Ok, so I did the fluid this weekend. This was how the old stuff looked. Lots of little gold bits in it. Is that to be expected?

There's Gold in them thar Hills!

lol And BMW considers this to be a "lifetime" oil eh? Pfft... I guess life is short.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #187
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I'm definitely glad that I changed it, I'm now just sh*tting bricks that there's something up with my transmission. I sent the pics to my local BMW garage to get the opinion of their techs. I guess if it's the synchros then some particles are to be expected, as that's the part of the gearbox most likely to experience wear, right?

In the fluid I couldn't see the particles, it was just at the bottom of the black drip tray that they became apparent.

The diff oil actually looked a lot more bitty (especially the dregs at the bottom) but again, I suppose that's to be expected in some ways, as the oil has been in there for 39,000 miles and there's not a great deal of it, so all the crap is going to be in one concentrated bit at the bottom.

As I say, I have enough fluid todo two changes, and already planned to double change to get as much of the particles out as I could.

But are my findings really abnormal? I mean, somebody on here did a change at just 1,200 miles and already had sediment...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #188
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

I have the same issue as you do russ with the first gear. I have to double clutch sometimes to get the gear to sit right in first. I am about to change my trans and diff fluid for the first time in 90k miles..................
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #189
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Let us know what you find Tommeh. Take pics if you can and look specifically for particles in the bottom of the pan (usually seen as you're pouring the last little bit out of the pan into a container).

My car only has under 39k though.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #190
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm definitely glad that I changed it, I'm now just sh*tting bricks that there's something up with my transmission...

All that "gold" is most likely brass from your trans synchro rings. Sounds like this could be the reason why its hard to shift into first gear.

You said you are the 2nd owner right>?

Maybe the first owner had a bad habit of grinding 1st(or other) gears. When ever you hear grinding from the gearbox... the synchros and gears take a beating. Of course your problem of not being able to get first gear could also be a hanging clutch(not disengaging).

This is the very reason why one should change your tranny fluids. Fresh oil is the BEST oil! These gold brass bits get suspended in the oil... the oil circulates around the tranny and gears... when one of those brass bits gets smashed or munched by two gears... that little brass chunks makes an impression on those two gear's teeth. Over time this can cause a gear to chip and or shatter. Then you have an even bigger problem. This is one reason why BMW only offer's new rebuilt trans and does not let their dealers rebuilt them.

I would change your fluid again and see how much gold you see.

I would not worry too much about the diff fluid. My old diff fluid looked pretty nasty too.

Here is what my old trans fluid looked like. This was the second time I changed it.

Here is what my old trans oil looked like...

(left)old LT4 trans oil... only used for 30K kms! Center: New MTF-LT-4 oil. New Redline ATF-D4(right)
Name:  trans fluids old new redline IMG_5882 (1).jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  132.2 KB

You never said which oil you decided to go with? Which trans and diff oil did you use?

You might want to look at my post #25 here - about approved BMW trans and diff oils...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=471019&page=2
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #191
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm actually the 5th owner. My car was owned by BMW, then 3 other people. It didn't have one owner for very long.

I refilled the transmission with Pentosin MTF-2 in the end, and used Motul 300 gear oil for the diff. Maybe I'll do another change next weekend. What would I expect/not expect to see after the second change?

I'd imagine there would be fold particles in the oil regardless of use, as the synchros will always wear with use, and this is still the original fluid from when the car was new.

As it's so easy I might start changing the trans fluid yearly, just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #192
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually the 5th owner. My car was owned by BMW, then 3 other people. It didn't have one owner for very long.

I refilled the transmission with Pentosin MTF-2 in the end, and used Motul 300 gear oil for the diff. Maybe I'll do another change next weekend. What would I expect/not expect to see after the second change?

I'd imagine there would be fold particles in the oil regardless of use, as the synchros will always wear with use, and this is still the original fluid from when the car was new.

As it's so easy I might start changing the trans fluid yearly, just to be safe.
Pentosin MTF-2 is NOT the correct fluid!

MTF-LT-3 is the correct fluid for your car!

All 135i's (N54's) came with MTF-LT-3 from the factory. I did not even think BMW sold LT-2 anymore - it was last used in the e46 generation cars)

When I changed my fluid(the first time) almost three years ago - my dealer told me that LT-3 had gone to LT-4 specs. I think now, LT-5 is the norm. All N55 6MT models(and the 1M) use MTF-LT-5 trans oil.

I think you should be running a LT-4 or LT-5 trans oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #193
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No, I think the Pentosin is fine - the number 2 in its name does not directly relate to the BMW LT numbers, as far as I'm aware. I think the MTF-2 is the latest fluid that Pentosin make. I don't think the way they name it has anything to do with how BMW classify things.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #194
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

According to the Pentosin website the MTF-2 is for: "BMW with ZF & Getrag manual transmissions (1997 on)".

It's a GL-4 spec fluid. Here's the info:

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_MTF-2.pdf

Edit:

Hmm, actually the top one of the two BMW reference numbers does actually refer to LT-2 fluid. FFS!! I asked about this for ages and deliberated for weeks on BITOG and here, and nobody said it was the wrong fluid, then as soon as I put the stuff in somebody says it's not right! ARRRRRRGH!

What is the difference between the LT-2 and LT-3 then? Pentosin don't seem to make anything other than MTF-2...

Last edited by TheRuss; 06-24-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #195
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

What is the difference between the LT-2 and LT-3 then? Pentosin don't seem to make anything other than MTF-2...

I don't know. I just know they are different!

IF you want to stay with a BMW fluid... I would buy some Pentosin MTF-LT5 from a Porsche dealer. See the 1M fluid change DIY "sticky" for the part number. Its cheaper thru Porsche than BMW. Go figure.

I am also using the wrong fluid. I have been using Redline's ATF-D4 but I am very happy with it. When I changed fluids from LT3 to LT4... I did not noticed any difference. IF anything when cold the trans was a little bit harder to shift. I always had a rough 1st to 2nd gear gear change when cold. Then I switched to Redline ATF-D4 and was very happy I did. Shifts feel a lot smoother and more slicker. The shift effort is less when cold too.

I will change my fluid soon, so maybe I will post some pics for you all.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #196
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Seriously Dackel, you're giving me a heart-attack here!

I researched this for ages on BITOG and everything, then as soon as I put it in you say it's wrong, so now with that, and the fact that my transmission had bits in the fluid, I'm sat here sh*tting a brick that in trying to do the best for my car, I'm instead destroying the trans! Help!

Technically, being the right viscocity and Pentosin saying it's OK, I'd have thought it'd be OK? I even emailed Pentosin and they told me it was compatible with my car...

Now I don't know what to do?!

Do Pentosin even make the MTF-LT-5? The only manual trans fluid I can find on their website is the MTF-LT-2. I just wonder if they updated the spec without changing the name or something?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #197
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Seriously Dackel, you're giving me a heart-attack here!

I researched this for ages on BITOG and everything, then as soon as I put it in you say it's wrong, so now with that, and the fact that my transmission had bits in the fluid, I'm sat here sh*tting a brick that in trying to do the best for my car, I'm instead destroying the trans! Help!

Technically, being the right viscocity and Pentosin saying it's OK, I'd have thought it'd be OK? I even emailed Pentosin and they told me it was compatible with my car...

Now I don't know what to do?!
Well... I would think LT2 is close enough to LT3 to run for a short amount of time. But like I said I would be running LT3 or LT4 or LT5 fluid in your trans.

Why not ring up your local BMW dealer and see what fluid BMW says to run? I bet they will say LT3. And THEN ask them if you can use LT2.

But I think you should be using a LT3 fluid.

But what do I know!? I am using a non approved fluid too. Redline ATF-D4.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #198
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well during my research I read that they were putting in less friction modifiers in newer fluid because of government legislation etc, so it's possible the newer fluid is worse for the transmission, but just complies with more government environment regulations?

I've emailed Pentosin, who came back straight away to confirm that it should be OK in my transmission, but they are checking with the actual manufacturer in Germany. I've also asked them to try to clarify the difference between LT-2 and LT-3 and whether I should be using LT-4 or LT-5. For all we know, it could just be that the fluids are getting thinner and thinner to reduce emissions (at the expense of protection).

I'll throw the answers up on here once I know more.

With regards to the gold bits in my old fluid, is it possible that that's just a product of normal synchro wear?
Appreciate 0