06-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Review: BBS Ri-D (DBK) on 1M

sparoz presents BBS Ri-Ds

Courtesy of American Express, dort.jp, and Nix transport my BBS Ri-D has arrived after a two and half weeks wait.

The BBS Ri-D was developed by BBS Japan. Rather than using the aluminium 6061 for light weight wheels, it is forged with Duralumin A7000, a super aluminium alloy that is reserved for aviation and military use. The result is a wheel that is stronger and lighter than the original BBS FI.

I was lucky to have made it in this production run as BBS Japan only produces the wheels when they have enough order for a manufacturing run. It also takes five times as long to produce due to its strength.

The fronts are 19x9 ET22, and rears are 19x10 ET25. They are 7.2kg and 7.5kg respectively, ie, a savings of 19.2kg of unsprung weight. This reduction was immediately felt as I put my foot down the accelerator. The car felt like it has lost a substantial amount of weight, and I felt the engine sings up the rev ranges much happier than it was. Braking of the car has also improved, where the car slows down much quicker even with less pressure applied.

One of the expected benefits is a much more comfortable ride. I don't know why but I was expecting a smooth ride where less of the road surface could be felt. However, the reduced weight did not do that. I could easily felt every bump on the road. What had changed was the magnitude of these bumps. I could feel them through the cabin, and through the steering, but the suspension now can much better handle this; the car is now much more settled, and you no longer feel the jars from the imperfection of the road.

I was expecting a loss of grip due to the brand new tyres (although they are PSS). May be it is a combination of the reduced weight and the wider stance, the cars feel much more planted with the used to be nervous 1M backend becoming more predictable. Turn-in is much sharper, and the car feel more stable through corners.

All the above had been sort of expected with a hugh reduction of unsprung weight. However, there was one last thing I definitely wasn't expecting. I have reset my fuel consumption driving back home. This is my usual route that I do everyday. The only difference is that now I have a FMIC which was installed last week, which should mean an increase in fuel consumption due to the denser air.

My average fuel consumption before my ESS tune was 10.3 l/100km. After the ESS tune, it has jumped to 11.7 l/100km. My spirited driving trip on my way back from work was an amazing 9.8 l/100km!

To me, this mod is a no brainer for all the 1Ms and M3s out there. There is no other single mod that can have some many facets of improvements on the performance, dynamics and economy of the car. It certainly doesn't come cheaply, but compare to say and Akrapovic Evolution System, this surely is much better value for your money.

For the people who are interested in obtaining the wheels, BBS Ri-Ds are available from dort.jp, studie, and Fuji Corporation from Japan, a-workx from Germany.

PS - This is my half ass attempt on independent journalism. I do not receive any benefits from any supplier or product mentioned in this and I paid for the product at normal commercial prices. Big thanks to Miki from American Express who organised and followed up with the purchase.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You can also checkout my 1M thread here on the Australian Forum

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701629
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Nice review but how much more expensive are they compare to the already expensive FI?
I'd like to see your car with H&R springs (or KW's), I'm sure it will look way cooler than it already is.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luial View Post
Nice review but how much more expensive are they compare to the already expensive FI?
I'd like to see your car with H&R springs (or KW's), I'm sure it will look way cooler than it already is.
Because I am in Australia, they are only about $1000 difference. Shipping from USA or Japan would have been about the same. For our friends in NA, I guess it would really be the extra shipping cost. That's for 3lbs a corner, still fairly significant.

I will be doing the springs after I got my brakes which are unfortunately not be ready till late September.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Nice review ! Fuel consumption wise, a decrease (if confirmed on the long term) cannot be a consequence of swapping to lighter wheels. The theoretical fuel burn advantage of a 19kg decrease in overall mass would be around half a percent, ie negligible. So my guess: it's your new intercooler that brings the improvement in consumption. Fresh air has always be benefitial to turbo-charged engines !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Looks so nice!!!

What size tires did you go with? And do you have any low shots from the front and back? I assume no rubbing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
NjSant
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Beaut! May i ask what brakes you plan to do? brembos will look awesome behind those wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein
Looks so nice!!!

What size tires did you go with? And do you have any low shots from the front and back? I assume no rubbing.

Thanks!
No rubbing. I just went with stock sizes. I can take some on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcrazy
Beaut! May i ask what brakes you plan to do? brembos will look awesome behind those wheels.
Not ready to reveal yet. It only comes in one colour.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

RI-Ds
      06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Please lower your car NOW!!! Wheels are nice though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Please lower your car NOW!!! Wheels are nice though.
Will certainly do - still eagerly awaiting what Ohlins will come up with first.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
amazing wheels!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

How much are a set of these? Anybody know?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Pricey.... Sent you a PM
      07-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Around 10k for the set including shipping, ie another 2k for about 3lbs each corner compare to the BBS-FIs .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Beautiful

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

my fave wheels

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
sparoz presents BBS Ri-Ds

Courtesy of American Express, dort.jp, and Nix transport my BBS Ri-D has arrived after a two and half weeks wait.

The BBS Ri-D was developed by BBS Japan. Rather than using the aluminium 6061 for light weight wheels, it is forged with Duralumin A7000, a super aluminium alloy that is reserved for aviation and military use. The result is a wheel that is stronger and lighter than the original BBS FI.

I was lucky to have made it in this production run as BBS Japan only produces the wheels when they have enough order for a manufacturing run. It also takes five times as long to produce due to its strength.

The fronts are 19x9 ET22, and rears are 19x10 ET25. They are 7.2kg and 7.5kg respectively, ie, a savings of 19.2kg of unsprung weight. This reduction was immediately felt as I put my foot down the accelerator. The car felt like it has lost a substantial amount of weight, and I felt the engine sings up the rev ranges much happier than it was. Braking of the car has also improved, where the car slows down much quicker even with less pressure applied.

One of the expected benefits is a much more comfortable ride. I don't know why but I was expecting a smooth ride where less of the road surface could be felt. However, the reduced weight did not do that. I could easily felt every bump on the road. What had changed was the magnitude of these bumps. I could feel them through the cabin, and through the steering, but the suspension now can much better handle this; the car is now much more settled, and you no longer feel the jars from the imperfection of the road.

I was expecting a loss of grip due to the brand new tyres (although they are PSS). May be it is a combination of the reduced weight and the wider stance, the cars feel much more planted with the used to be nervous 1M backend becoming more predictable. Turn-in is much sharper, and the car feel more stable through corners.

All the above had been sort of expected with a hugh reduction of unsprung weight. However, there was one last thing I definitely wasn't expecting. I have reset my fuel consumption driving back home. This is my usual route that I do everyday. The only difference is that now I have a FMIC which was installed last week, which should mean an increase in fuel consumption due to the denser air.

My average fuel consumption before my ESS tune was 10.3 l/100km. After the ESS tune, it has jumped to 11.7 l/100km. My spirited driving trip on my way back from work was an amazing 9.8 l/100km!

To me, this mod is a no brainer for all the 1Ms and M3s out there. There is no other single mod that can have some many facets of improvements on the performance, dynamics and economy of the car. It certainly doesn't come cheaply, but compare to say and Akrapovic Evolution System, this surely is much better value for your money.

For the people who are interested in obtaining the wheels, BBS Ri-Ds are available from dort.jp, studie, and Fuji Corporation from Japan, a-workx from Germany.

PS - This is my half ass attempt on independent journalism. I do not receive any benefits from any supplier or product mentioned in this and I paid for the product at normal commercial prices. Big thanks to Miki from American Express who organised and followed up with the purchase.
I think your butt dyno is suffering a huge placebo effect. Insrtumented runs would likely be minutely better if measurable! They are nice looking tho!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Nice review ! Fuel consumption wise, a decrease (if confirmed on the long term) cannot be a consequence of swapping to lighter wheels. The theoretical fuel burn advantage of a 19kg decrease in overall mass would be around half a percent, ie negligible. So my guess: it's your new intercooler that brings the improvement in consumption. Fresh air has always be benefitial to turbo-charged engines !
Although I agree the difference is almost unbelievable, the merit of lighter wheels is not just in overall mass decrease. Lighter wheel needs less energy to spin up (and require less energy to dissipate while slowing down) ...

Sparoz is the fuel consumption gain is still in effect and from your POV related to the light weight wheels?

OP, nice wheels and in spite of their price: tempting, ... thx for posting.

Last edited by eeghie; 11-10-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

By far the best wheels for a VO 1M or maybe any 1M! Definitely tempting, even seducing...despite crazy pricing I am having daydreaming about those like I ruin the stocks by "accident" and have to give the car and myself an expensive gift

God help all the addicts and midlife victims!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-10-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Talking about an old thread revival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I think your butt dyno is suffering a huge placebo effect. Insrtumented runs would likely be minutely better if measurable! They are nice looking tho!
Possibly, but the only thing I would say that related to my butt dyno is really only the reving and braking. Quite posible the feeling of smoothness is more due to its effect on suspension. Theoretically, it is worth only about 2% of equivalent mass the most.

Grip, turn-in and ride are substantially better. Bumps on regular routes no longer trigger traction where it used to whilst MDM is on. Comfort was improved - specifically I can feel more little bumps, but bumps doesn't feel as harsh - now, and I am only comparing regular routes that I travel. Turn-in was quicker despite the PSS which everyone says which was worse than the stock ps2. These were substantially different enough - as I personally wasn't expecting the difference to be this much. This make sense because all these related to the difference in wheel plus brakes alone - which is >20% difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Although I agree the difference is almost unbelievable, the merit of lighter wheels is not just in overall mass decrease. Lighter wheel needs less energy to spin up (and require less energy to dissipate while slowing down) ...

Sparoz is the fuel consumption gain is still in effect and from your POV related to the light weight wheels?

OP, nice wheels and in spite of their price: tempting, ... thx for posting.
It settled around 10.6 whilst I was still DDing the car. Theoretically the difference shouldn't be that big - so probably something else is at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
By far the best wheels for a VO 1M or maybe any 1M! Definitely tempting, even seducing...despite crazy pricing I am having daydreaming about those like I ruin the stocks by "accident" and have to give the car and myself an expensive gift

God help all the addicts and midlife victims!
It is seducing, as long as you don't ruin the axle at the same time:

Appreciate 0