BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

LUX V3 installed but got some questions!

Hey guys,

I just installed my lux angel eyes but i have two questions post installation.

1. When putting the bulb in I didn't manage to turn the lux unit as much as I had turned the oem bulb to take it off. I could only go about 45 degrees before it being too tight to turn anymore. Is this enough? =/

2. The lights seem to whine a little when I turn my car on. Is this normal? It's a high pitch sound. Not sure if it stops after while but it seems to soften slightly. It's louder when the bonnet is up.

Three other notes:

a. A massive bitch to put it into the passenger side in a 125i. Gave up and had to lift the airbox cover in the end.. Even on the driver side, there's a dumb pipe on the 125i that blocks the cover.

b. They also look amazing and totally worth the installation time and money and effort. Reallyyyyy nice.

c. Pics soon! But only garage pics for now.

Edit:
Realised I didn't take many shots that show the real brightness of the bulb xD Oh well, you can tell they are just a bit less brighter than OEM, but the white is just so much sexier. And any brighter, the uneven distribution between the two rings grows larger.

Last edited by Jon.; 08-14-2011 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Hey they look great!

To answer your questions..

1. I can't speak for LUX bulbs, but I know my HID bulbs don't turn as much either. As long as you turn them as far as you can, and then try to jiggle a bit and pull straight back and they don't come out at all, then they're locked into place and sealed. The little tabs that lock the bulbs into place are sometimes different from the OEM ones, so if they're a little wider, then they won't go all the way.

2. I'm assuming it's normal. Is it like the buzzing noise fluorescent lights sometimes make? My HIDs sometimes make that noise, but then again they have a big ballast box. Since the LUX bulbs have a small ballast as well, that's probably what's producing the buzzing. Whatever electrical components in there are allowing you to safely run the LUX bulbs are transforming/resisting/whatevering (my knowledge of electronics only extends to simple circuits haha) the current that comes through from the car, and sometimes that makes a bit of a buzz.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Haha thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help in my older thread 1speed

But yeah, hopefully they won't fall out! I twisted them as hard as I couldn't and they wouldn't go much further. Although I couldn't twist too hard as I could barely get fingers in lol I'll just keep checking after every drive for the next two or so weeks in case they do decide to bump off during a drive.

And you're probably right about the buzz as well. It's not very loud anyway!

Can't wait to drive tomorrow hehe
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
Haha thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help in my older thread 1speed

But yeah, hopefully they won't fall out! I twisted them as hard as I couldn't and they wouldn't go much further. Although I couldn't twist too hard as I could barely get fingers in lol I'll just keep checking after every drive for the next two or so weeks in case they do decide to bump off during a drive.

And you're probably right about the buzz as well. It's not very loud anyway!

Can't wait to drive tomorrow hehe
No problem, I'm glad to help out. Take some more pictures (in the daylight!). I never really see pictures of the LUX bulbs in full daylight with the sun actually facing the front of the car. I'm curious to see how it looks.

But otherwise, they look great! Definitely the best LED bulb out there, and it shows.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
No problem, I'm glad to help out. Take some more pictures (in the daylight!). I never really see pictures of the LUX bulbs in full daylight with the sun actually facing the front of the car. I'm curious to see how it looks.

But otherwise, they look great! Definitely the best LED bulb out there, and it shows.
To be honest, I haven't seen them outside either. I live in an apartment and I have rented indoor parking at university so I only get to park indoor. Really want to find some time to find a nice location to take pictures in the daylight too. Will post them up when I get the chance
Appreciate 0