BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Strange cricket-like noise as rpm's rise/under load

So I figured I would post this in case it happens to any other member.

A couple of days ago I started up my car in the morning and it was making an awful, loud cricket-like sound, which seemed to vary with the rpm's. First thought was either a belt or tensioner, neither of which ended up being the problem. After much reading and research, it appears that it could be the famous "waste gate rattle", which apparently is rather common among cars equipped with the N54 engine. The car is currently at the dealer where they have diagnosed the issue and are performing a waste gate recalibration on the turbos.

The loud went away and has not repeated ever since; however, the sound that you will hear on the videos below continued to occur, specially under load or while blipping the throttle.

Here's a video of the sound (can't see anything because I placed my phone on the ground next to wheel to capture the sound while I blipped the throttle):

And here is another video of the car under load. Listen for the cricket sound:

If anyone has heard/experienced this before please feel free to chime in - so far the dealer has decided to proceed by recalibrating the waste gates.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Before I listened to your video clip my initial guess was going to be some Vanos chatter, but that doesn't sound like that at all. It's usually more metallic. I don't know what that might be, sorry. But will keep my ears peeled for that sound on my car now.
      03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

wastegates... as its somewhat metalic sounding to me..

otherwise my other guess is the waste gate solenoids aka Pressure converters..
      03-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Sorry, I can't help with that sound, but I will say that I'm lovin' your photobucket username: CubanitoLindo lol

que bola, acere?
      03-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Sorry, I can't help with that sound, but I will say that I'm lovin' your photobucket username: CubanitoLindo lol

que bola, acere?
LOL I knew deep down inside that one day my user name from when I was 11 years old would come back and bite me in the a** haha

Aqui acere, tranquilo, tu sabes como es eso! Como anda la cosa por el sur?

Thank you all for the comments. I forgot to mention that the car is not throwing any codes and checks out perfectly fine. The sound is indeed somewhat metallic from underneath, but sounds more like a cricket noise from elsewhere. I found a few similar videos online and everything points at the wastegate(s) or something definitely mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

I think mine does this on low tick over, blip the throttle and it disappears until the revs settle again. Anything to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
I think mine does this on low tick over, blip the throttle and it disappears until the revs settle again. Anything to worry about?
This is not to be confused with regular direct injection and/or ignition ticking, which they all have. If it sounds at all like what you hear on my video, mainly under load or while blipping, take it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
This is not to be confused with regular direct injection and/or ignition ticking, which they all have. If it sounds at all like what you hear on my video, mainly under load or while blipping, take it in.
I'll take another listen, thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
So I figured I would post this in case it happens to any other member.

A couple of days ago I started up my car in the morning and it was making an awful, loud cricket-like sound, which seemed to vary with the rpm's. First thought was either a belt or tensioner, neither of which ended up being the problem. After much reading and research, it appears that it could be the famous "waste gate rattle", which apparently is rather common among cars equipped with the N54 engine. The car is currently at the dealer where they have diagnosed the issue and are performing a waste gate recalibration on the turbos.

The loud went away and has not repeated ever since; however, the sound that you will hear on the videos below continued to occur, specially under load or while blipping the throttle.

Here's a video of the sound (can't see anything because I placed my phone on the ground next to wheel to capture the sound while I blipped the throttle):

If anyone has heard/experienced this before please feel free to chime in - so far the dealer has decided to proceed by recalibrating the waste gates.
That's odd. I wouldn't say that this is a common issue with N54's after the 2008 model year. It was an issue with early N54's. Many early '08 135's and 07-08 335i's had that "rattle" sound attributed to the waste gates. BMW tried to fix it with software with limited success. Some of those early N54's also had greater lag due to leaking waste-gates. The issues were related. There was greater success with limiting the lag, but the rattle was still there though quieter.
There are some fixes out there for those mechanically inclined and without warranty, or a lot of mods such that a warranty will be declined.
If you want some links I can get them, but if you do a search for "N54 wastegate rattle fix", you should find some.
The only real fix, for those with a warranty, is a new set of turbo's with the better waste-gates that were used after the 08 model year.

If you have waste-gate rattle, let them try to fix it. But if their fix doesn't work, then insist on new turbo's. There's no reason why should have to put up with malfunctioning waste-gates, especially since it's likely affecting your overall performance.
Do you notice any lag off idle since the rattle started?

Last edited by RPM90; 03-15-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I can't quite hear it on your video's.
I've got the volume cranked but can't hear it very well.
These laptop speakers do suck.

I'll have a listen tomorrow at my work station with a very nice set of monitors. I use that one for audio and video production work.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's odd. I wouldn't say that this is a common issue with N54's after the 2008 model year. It was an issue with early N54's. Many early '08 135's and 07-08 335i's had that "rattle" sound attributed to the waste gates. BMW tried to fix it with software with limited success. Some of those early N54's also had greater lag due to leaking waste-gates. The issues were related. There was greater success with limiting the lag, but the rattle was still there though quieter.
There are some fixes out there for those mechanically inclined and without warranty, or a lot of mods such that a warranty will be declined.
If you want some links I can get them, but if you do a search for "N54 wastegate rattle fix", you should find some.
The only real fix, for those with a warranty, is a new set of turbo's with the better waste-gates that were used after the 08 model year.

If you have waste-gate rattle, let them try to fix it. But if their fix doesn't work, then insist on new turbo's. There's no reason why should have to put up with malfunctioning waste-gates, especially since it's likely affecting your overall performance.
Do you notice any lag off idle since the rattle started?
Thanks! I agree, I mostly found the results for cars that had the earlier n54's, and this being a 1M, it has the latest iteration of the N54 which includes the latest turbos as well as the latest HPFP, so I shouldn't be seeing this issue...however, after 2 days of inspection by the dealer and involving a regional master tech, they are all leaning towards waste gate rattle.

I also agree that I shouldn't be putting up with waste gate malfunction - they are being understanding about my requests and following the proper course of action from BMW, and they have already been approved to order a new set of turbos, but not before recalibrating the waste gates first which is required by BMW.

I'll keep the thread up date as I find out what's taking place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I can't quite hear it on your video's.
I've got the volume cranked but can't hear it very well.
These laptop speakers do suck.

I'll have a listen tomorrow at my work station with a very nice set of monitors. I use that one for audio and video production work.
Yes laptop speakers are not the best, however, all those who heard it at the dealer were listening to the videos on their cells, and considering cell phones tend to amplify the higher frequencies, the sound was very obvious - specially on the first video.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
LOL I knew deep down inside that one day my user name from when I was 11 years old would come back and bite me in the a** haha

Aqui acere, tranquilo, tu sabes como es eso! Como anda la cosa por el sur?
Aqui en la lucha, compadre. No es facil.

Arregla ese carro y no jodes mas!
      03-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Aqui en la lucha, compadre. No es facil.

Arregla ese carro y no jodes mas!
Esta del carajo esto...dicen que tengo que esperar hasta el lunes para recoger el carro...vamos a ver que pasa.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Well, a month later the same exact sound started on my car. I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine is under light throttle and even idle.

Crickets have invaded! BTW, <4k miles on the car, just barely out of break-in.

Any updates with your car???
      04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Well, a month later the same exact sound started on my car. I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine is under light throttle and even idle.

Crickets have invaded! BTW, &lt;4k miles on the car, just barely out of break-in.

Any updates with your car???
Yes sir - mine was addressed back when I started the thread. The recalibration took care of it with 0 reoccurrences so far. Call your local dealer and plan to be without your car for anywhere between 2-7 days. Even when the problem has been identified, BMW still makes them undergo a lengthy sequence of diagnosis processes.

You are instance #3 so far with this issue, but I'm willing to bet others who drive 99% of the time with the windows up may not know that it is already happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Sorry for the lack of update w/respect to me case. Work/home have been hectic, to say the least.

They replaced the whole turbo. It's all back together and the noise is gone. Also (and this may be optimistic delusion), it seems like power delivery is a bit smoother. I have been meaning to scan the service note as a reference for others...if I can find it in my office.
      04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys. Will make appointment with me SA.
      04-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE
Sorry for the lack of update w/respect to me case. Work/home have been hectic, to say the least.

They replaced the whole turbo. It's all back together and the noise is gone. Also (and this may be optimistic delusion), it seems like power delivery is a bit smoother. I have been meaning to scan the service note as a reference for others...if I can find it in my office.
Wow, your waste gates must have been in bad shape if they replaced the turbos. I know for a fact that bmw na instructs them to have them recalibrated and tested before they opt to have the turbos replaced. If they are unable to recalibrate them back to spec or if the noise comes back after recalibration, then the turbos get replaced. Either way, glad you got taken care of as well!

MrMetak, best of luck and keep us posted. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that this will be a very useful thread in the (near) future for others.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Wow, your waste gates must have been in bad shape if they replaced the turbos. I know for a fact that bmw na instructs them to have them recalibrated and tested before they opt to have the turbos replaced. If they are unable to recalibrate them back to spec or if the noise comes back after recalibration, then the turbos get replaced. Either way, glad you got taken care of as well!

MrMetak, best of luck and keep us posted. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that this will be a very useful thread in the (near) future for others.
You guys are making me drive windows open with no music all the time! Just kidding, I drive like that as long as weather permits and if I am slow enough anyway. As the OP said, this can be a keeper thread. I don't even know what most of us 1M owners do without this Forum!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
They bypassed the recalibration in my case. Their first step was check to if there were any exhaust issues, since there were some thoughts about an abnormal exhaust smell, etc. No problems there. They were able to replicate the sound and consulted higher level BMW tech staff. The advice was to just replace the entire turbo assembly. I don't know the rationale behind this. I was curious if it's just cheaper, from a labor standpoint, to just do that instead of spending an exorbitant amount of time trying to recal. TBH, I have not idea what their reasoning was.

In any event, it's fixed. I'll try to find the service note as a reference.
      04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE
Quote:
They bypassed the recalibration in my case. Their first step was check to if there were any exhaust issues, since there were some thoughts about an abnormal exhaust smell, etc. No problems there. They were able to replicate the sound and consulted higher level BMW tech staff. The advice was to just replace the entire turbo assembly. I don't know the rationale behind this. I was curious if it's just cheaper, from a labor standpoint, to just do that instead of spending an exorbitant amount of time trying to recal. TBH, I have not idea what their reasoning was.

In any event, it's fixed. I'll try to find the service note as a reference.
Very interesting to say the least! They definitely went the more expensive route with your car, since recalibration requires the same amount of work given that the turbos have to be out of the car. Same amount of labor plus new turbos is definitely more costly than reusing the existing turbos.

Now you keep saying turbo (singular)...in my case both waste gates needed recalibration, I'm guessing only one was off on your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
Wastegates but seems normal volume
Appreciate 0