BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
ironclaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 130i

130i E87 - Engine Bay to Interior Wiring (via Bulkhead)

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me the best way to navigate some auxiliary wiring between the engine bay of an E87 (130i / 2007) and the interior? I usually pass via the bulk head as there is a multitude of grommets but I can't spot any from a summary inspection. I'd rather do some homework and ask the community first.

I have access to BMW TIS and the Wiring Diagrams if anyone has a link / document number or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
ironclaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 130i

To answer my own thread, the method I found is quite tricky and very time consuming. I would suggest giving yourself about two hours. You'll need a socket set and a Torx screwdriver. I'd personally rank this as a moderate to difficult thing to do.

On a RHD car:

Engine Bay: Remove the cabin air filter and the two covers on the left and right, one of which covers the fuse box, the other covers the ABS module (Marked A) in the photo. Then look down near where I have marked B in the photo. You should see a large-ish grommet with two cables come through it.

In the Drivers Footwell: Remove the 'ceiling' of the footwell with the Torx screwdriver and the retaining push-pin on the center console. Careful as it falls away as the light is attached. Directly above the accellerator, you should see the same grommet you found in the engine bay, likely one of which is spare. You can cut or pierce this to pull wiring through.

Its an incredibly tight car to work on, so I would suggest ample light and time with an extra pair of hands to help if you have it.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

Nice work! what are you installing?
Appreciate 0