BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #23
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I wouldn't waste your money and time with the BMW touch up paint as it's difficult to use. Dr. ColorChip appears the way to go. My kit arrived, but I haven't tried it yet.
I tend to agree with this -- the BMW stuff is not very user friendly. Just a bottle of blobby paint and a bottle of clearcoat with little in the way of direction for rank amateurs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I tend to agree with this -- the BMW stuff is not very user friendly. Just a bottle of blobby paint and a bottle of clearcoat with little in the way of direction for rank amateurs.
It is more or less the exact same sort of product used by multiple car manufacturers. I have purchased essentially the same sort of two bottle set of touch up paint from an Audi dealer, a VW dealer, a Subaru dealer, and now a BMW dealer, within the last 2 years. Certainly, this sort of product could be improved, however if you go back 2 or 3 more years, all of these dealer-sold touch up paint products were a single bottle presumably containing a mixture of paint and clearcoat.

But it is not particularly useful to hear people say that the dealer sold, brand name product sucks; everyone with any experience with these things knows THAT.

But this alternate product, is it any good? Just because the dealer-sold product stinks, does not mean that the one mentioned in this thread that costs 2.5X as much, is any better. Comments by people with no experience with the competing product, who assume it must be good, are useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #25
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
It is more or less the exact same sort of product used by multiple car manufacturers. I have purchased essentially the same sort of two bottle set of touch up paint from an Audi dealer, a VW dealer, a Subaru dealer, and now a BMW dealer, within the last 2 years. Certainly, this sort of product could be improved, however if you go back 2 or 3 more years, all of these dealer-sold touch up paint products were a single bottle presumably containing a mixture of paint and clearcoat.

But it is not particularly useful to hear people say that the dealer sold, brand name product sucks; everyone with any experience with these things knows THAT.

But this alternate product, is it any good? Just because the dealer-sold product stinks, does not mean that the one mentioned in this thread that costs 2.5X as much, is any better. Comments by people with no experience with the competing product, who assume it must be good, are useless.

OK, then! Let me be clear. The Dr. ColorChip product is MUCH better than usual dealer stuff for small chips. Passes the 2 foot test for VO in decent light. Anything bigger than 2-3mm (in my reasonably practiced but not expert) hands will only pass the 6 foot test, if that. It is not hard to use and still very cheap compared to hiring a pro for a panel!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #26
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
OK, then! Let me be clear. The Dr. ColorChip product is MUCH better than usual dealer stuff for small chips. Passes the 2 foot test for VO in decent light. Anything bigger than 2-3mm (in my reasonably practiced but not expert) hands will only pass the 6 foot test, if that. It is not hard to use and still very cheap compared to hiring a pro for a panel!
The dealer paint in decent daylight passes the 1km test for VO with flying colors.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #27
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The BMW VO paint stick is hard to work for small chips and road rash because of how thick the paint is. I'm not sure how you could apply a thin enough color layer to have enough room to apply a clear coat.

The best I was able to do was to apply a color layer and then use Langka to cut down the blob/excess. From all the reviews I've read and videos I've watched, Dr. Colorchip is the easiest to uses and provides the best results.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #28
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Canadian jokes aside, anyone try the Dr color chip on VO?
I have used Dr Colour Chip on a VO... in Canada too... works great, I'm sure I'll be using it again next spring.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #29
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Another vote for dr colorchip .
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #30
Papethova
Banned