BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Talking Full m3 suspension on 135i

Hey guys was wondering will i be left wanting more if I did this with nothing eles on the chassis maybe way down the line a LSD, I won't be tracking the car,but I don't wanna be left behind by my brothers m3 and m5
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

You'll always want more, but it's a good start. If, or should I say when, you start swapping out wheels, tires, springs, coilover, camber plates, etc., the M3 bits keep paying dividends. That being said, I think your brothers will be surprised how capable the 135 can be on the street in stock trim.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Hey guys was wondering will i be left wanting more if I did this with nothing eles on the chassis maybe way down the line a LSD, I won't be tracking the car,but I don't wanna be left behind by my brothers m3 and m5
If what you "want" has nothing to do with what you "need" you will always be wanting more. Clearly you have already been "left behind". If that depresses you, change the dynamic. Do a track school and learn how to actually enjoy your car. I applaud you for thinking about the suspension before adding power though - says there is hope! Go find out what you need by experiencing what you have on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Well, "full" M3 suspension would include the M3 rear camber links, and they require new rear shocks, so you'd be replacing the POS shocks too. Also, HPA Shop has aftermarket rear toe arms as an option with their M3 conversion kit, which is also a big improvement. So yes, full M3 conversion is all you need for an awesome street suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Haha yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
If what you "want" has nothing to do with what you "need" you will always be wanting more. Clearly you have already been "left behind". If that depresses you, change the dynamic. Do a track school and learn how to actually enjoy your car. I applaud you for thinking about the suspension before adding power though - says there is hope! Go find out what you need by experiencing what you have on the track.
I most certainly have been left behind,yea I feel the car has more motor then chassis from the factory, I just was thinking of going with this set up cause I'd like the car to drive like a "natural" M feeling car and not so choppy in the back when I get into the twisties
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd like my car to be a complete driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Well, "full" M3 suspension would include the M3 rear camber links, and they require new rear shocks, so you'd be replacing the POS shocks too. Also, HPA Shop has aftermarket rear toe arms as an option with their M3 conversion kit, which is also a big improvement. So yes, full M3 conversion is all you need for an awesome street suspension.
do you think this is more cost effective then going with aftermarket coilovers with m3 control arms ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I most certainly have been left behind,yea I feel the car has more motor then chassis from the factory, I just was thinking of going with this set up cause I'd like the car to drive like a "natural" M feeling car and not so choppy in the back when I get into the twisties
Ditching the RFT's will get rid of a lot of the bouncy-ness. Replaced the rear axle bushings with the M3/1M ones will also get rid of the rear end wiggle and slop from the rear end when really throwing the car into the twisties.

My next mod will be the M3 suspension with probably Koni Yellows and Eibach lower springs. I really want the entire M3 suspension on my car. But so far just installing the M3 suspension bushings and switching to Michelin PS3's has transformed the way the car drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
do you think this is more cost effective then going with aftermarket coilovers with m3 control arms ?
I think for street the highest priorities are non-RFT tires, better shocks and M3 front swaybar and rear subframe bushings.

If you buy Koni Sport shocks, you can convert them to coilovers later to lower the car.

http://www.hpashop.com/Koni-Coilover...on-e82-e9x.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Have a look at this thread with our project. Feel free to comment and give feedback as well.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=project+135i
Appreciate 0