BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

HPFP = FMIC Delay? Thoughts PLEASE!

So, my HPFP has just started to show regular signs of a potential upcoming failure. The longish cranks have begun and seem to becoming more frequent.

This being said, I had planned on having my HPF FMIC installed on Wednesday. My car is being brought in to my shop to have final ride height and corner balancing done. And, I was going to have them install the FMIC at the same time.

Mods so far are a complete suspension change (all M3 components, AST coilovers), StopTech BBK, and axle-back Meisterschaft GT exhaust. As I'm currently waiting for my PROcede (back ordered) and have not installed any other engine/power-based mods (other than the axle-back exhaust), SHOULD I WAIT TO REPLACE THE HPFP BEFORE I HAVE THE FMIC INSTALLED? I suppose the big question is ...how long is it likely to take for my HPFP to fail now that "it" has begun? And, if I don't wait to have the FMIC installed, will an axle-back exhaust along with a HPF FMIC result in a bad "warranty related experience" at the dealer? I'll always take the PROcede out should I have issues after installation, but I won't ever want to take the FMIC or exhaust off.

THOUGHTS? PLEASE.

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
sysfailur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I believe that the burden of proof is on the dealership, meaning they have to show that your mod caused the failure. A front-mount is part of your air-handling system, not your fuel system, and so there really shouldn't be any way to correlate your HPFP failure to the FMIC.

Personally, I would just avoid the issue entirely by having the dealership replace the HPFP now and install the FMIC later.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysfailur View Post
Personally, I would just avoid the issue entirely by having the dealership replace the HPFP now and install the FMIC later.
Well, I haven't thrown any codes yet. And, from time to time it does start right up. I don't think the dealer will replace it until I throw a code and/or it cranks long EVERY time?

Of those that have had failures, how long did it take to throw a code, go into limp mode and/or long crank every time?

And, has anyone been able to have their HPFP replaced PRIOR to any of these things happening?

THANKS! (I need to decide by tomorrow whether or not I'll install the FMIC!)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I definitely do think you should take it into the dealership prior to installing the IC purely to avoid the hassle of installing and re-installing soon thereafter for the HPFP issue. Even if the code is not thrown, you could express to your dealer that you have concerns relating to being stranded, which might convince them to go ahead and change it out immediately. Moreover, I've also heard of dealers doing pressure tests on the pump to determine if it is due for a change, but I am not sure if they would only resort to the pressure test in the event that the car throws a code.

As another point, For long cranks, the protocol seems to be that the dealer first updates the car to the latest software to see if it solves the problem. If it doesn't sort it out, then the dealer will replace the pump. This route might entail that you wait a bit till you get your new pump. In this case, since the HPF intercooler is a relatively simple install, it may not be too much of a hassle to install and re-install.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Dealership would not touch my car until i threw codes. I had bad long cranks for 6 months before i finally got the codes to make the dealership change my HPFP.

That being said, i would also remove the FMIC before a big service like a fuel pump just to avoid problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
sysfailur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Doesn't the HPF FMIC come without branding (logos, etc)? I thought it looked stock from the photos I saw. The mechanics/SA might not even notice it isn't stock.

I'll tell you what... I'll buy the FMIC off of you and then you won't have to debate about whether you should install it before or after your HPFP craps out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just spoke with a service guy at my dealership. He suggested that I bring it in, even though I have not thrown any codes. He stated that they would plug her in and do a cold start to see what happens. (I'll need to leave it for at least a day.) POTENTIALLY, he said that they would check the spark plugs, update the software and, if the HPFP looked liked it was on its way out, replace it.

I'm going to schedule it for one week from today. And, NOT install the FMIC just yet. (As I'm still waiting for my PROcede, this makes it a bit easier to let that pretty HPF FMIC sit in my garage for a bit longer.)

Now, I just need to worry about them abusing my car on the "test" drive! And, I suppose I'll see whether or not they comment on the full suspension remake and axle-back exhaust.

Thanks to all for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysfailur View Post
Doesn't the HPF FMIC come without branding (logos, etc)? I thought it looked stock from the photos I saw. The mechanics/SA might not even notice it isn't stock.

I'll tell you what... I'll buy the FMIC off of you and then you won't have to debate about whether you should install it before or after your HPFP craps out.
The HPF FMIC will be pretty obvious if/when they remove the plastic covers to potentially access the engine. It also has reinforcement brackets that mount to the sway bar mount. Obvious stuff.

I appreciate the offer for it, but ...NO.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
OP-
That's my thoughts.
While I appreciate the thoughts, the query presented does not ask whether or not to do mods, but the timing surrounding a specific mod as related to a pending HPFP failure.

I have noticed from many of your posts that you're quite opinionated. Well, I am as well, so I'm not going to fault you there. But, I have learned that sometimes it's best to keep my opinions to myself. This holds especially true when they serve no true purpose. I don't mean to "beat you up" over this small lapse in judgment, as it is small, but you seem to have a habit of stirring the pot when it's entirely unnecessary.

That's my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
OP-

Mods can void your new vehicle warranty per the terms of the warranty so Mod at your own risk and be willing to accept full financial responsibility for the loss of your warranty if you chose to Mod. No one should expect a car maker to warranty a product in a form they did not sell it, aka Modded, aka in legal ease "alterations".

When in doubt pay for a legal opinion on your new vehicle warranty and see if the attorney will represent you on a 100% contingency basis after they provide their legal opinion.

That's my thoughts.
blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
BLACK MJB+
HELL OF A LIFE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

My dealer wouldn't replace the fuel pump until it failed completely. The dealer ran the updated software and still was an issure. I literally drove my car in limp mode into the service department. ( Left the car on with it's last breath) It's not an issue of replacing it, but rather getting confirimation from BMWNA. I just installed my HPF FMIC yesterday an it feels good. The dealer shouldn't give you crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
BLACK MJB+
HELL OF A LIFE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
OP-

Mods can void your new vehicle warranty per the terms of the warranty so Mod at your own risk and be willing to accept full financial responsibility for the loss of your warranty if you chose to Mod. No one should expect a car maker to warranty a product in a form they did not sell it, aka Modded, aka in legal ease "alterations".

When in doubt pay for a legal opinion on your new vehicle warranty and see if the attorney will represent you on a 100% contingency basis after they provide their legal opinion.

That's my thoughts.
You have a valid point here, but it doesn't matter legal/illegal mod; the problem still rest on the fuel pump. BMW knows what they're in for= Lemons!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MJB+ View Post
I just installed my HPF FMIC yesterday an it feels good. The dealer shouldn't give you crap.
I'm still going to wait to do the FMIC. My AST's need to have the tender springs removed to get the ride height right for me. Also, after I had the full suspension done I started to get an odd creaking sound coming from what appears to be the dash, strut brace or something maybe rubbing on the underside of the AC filter housing. It's gotten fairly loud and fairly regular. I'm hoping it's not the camber plates. Anyway, point being that my shop has to remedy this issue, remove the tender springs and set the ride heights, so they have enough to do for now. Hopefully, I'll get the HPFP sorted soon and then have it installed.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Personally I'd wait. BMW has been known to deny even HPFP failure claims because of modifications. You might fight them and win (because it's such a widespread failure) but the hassel just isn't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Personally I'd wait.
My only problem with waiting is the fact that I have no idea how long it's going to take to fully fail, throw a code, go into limp mode, etc. I'll wait until after this first service visit. But, if they don't fix it then, the FMIC MUST go on! (I'm not going to wait weeks or months for a full failure.)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
My only problem with waiting is the fact that I have no idea how long it's going to take to fully fail, throw a code, go into limp mode, etc. I'll wait until after this first service visit. But, if they don't fix it then, the FMIC MUST go on! (I'm not going to wait weeks or months for a full failure.)

Well, look at it this way: worst case you're paying out of pocket for a pump, or removing the intercooler before taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think FMIC would cause any warranty issue with HPFP failure claim. My car has the long crank problem for more than 6 months now and my HPFP still working and refuse to die. So if your HPFP acts like mine, then it could be a long wait for it to die.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Well, look at it this way: worst case you're paying out of pocket for a pump...
I agree. I don't WANT to pay for a new pump and labor, but the good news surely is that it won't be too bad if the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I don't think FMIC would cause any warranty issue with HPFP failure claim. My car has the long crank problem for more than 6 months now and my HPFP still working and refuse to die. So if your HPFP acts like mine, then it could be a long wait for it to die.
Exactly! I'm not waiting past the first service. They'll do whatever they'll do and I'll then install the FMIC!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0