BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #23
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
Because all dynos are different and you only have your run with the Dinan Stage 2. If you had dyno'ed on the same dyno totally stock, THEN again with the Dinan we would be able to see what gains you made. It's possible your dyno reads high and a stock run may have been 300 at the wheels. Then your 330rwhp run with the Dinan would not have been as impressive. Always get a baseline so you can see where you started from to compare each of your mods to. A run on a different dyno simply can't be accurately compared to someone else's results.
There is a lot of logic in this, but there's another way to get fairly accurate comparisons. Go to your local BMW club dyno day which will very likely have other N54 equipped cars to compare against. I didn't have time to dyno my car stock before the Dinan stage 2 upgrade, but after a recent dyno day where 5 other N54s were on the rollers, I have a good average to compare it against.

There were two stock 335s that put down almost identical numbers which averaged 270hp/278tq.

Same dynojet, same day, SAE corrected numbers.

270hp/278tq - Stock 335i
271hp/278tq - Stock 335i
327hp/356tq - Dinan Stage 2 135i
329hp/360tq - Dinan Stage 2, Dinan CAI, AA exhaust 335i
340hp/367tq - Proceed V3, Vishnu DCI 335i
405hp/422tq - Vishnu V4, Vishnu DCI, Meth Kit, AR catless DP, Helix FMIC, Trick 101 335i

What I see as a result of the dyno day is that the Dinan Stage 2 adds about 55-60whp and about 70-80wtq.

For discussions like this thread, I think quantity and averages is a better method of providing real world data to people asking questions. As individuals there will always be anomalies (such as the octane issue mentioned earlier) that affect us personally, but don't always represent a general audience.

From everything I've seen, the Dinan Stage 2 ECU is comparable, but on the lower end of the ECU upgrades available.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #24
Abester135
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-Sport 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Because all dynos are different and you only have your run with the Dinan Stage 2. If you had dyno'ed on the same dyno totally stock, THEN again with the Dinan we would be able to see what gains you made. It's possible your dyno reads high and a stock run may have been 300 at the wheels. Then your 330rwhp run with the Dinan would not have been as impressive. Always get a baseline so you can see where you started from to compare each of your mods to. A run on a different dyno simply can't be accurately compared to someone else's results.
I don't think my dyno reads high because my results are comparable to others with Stage 2 on the N54. I posted mainly so I could toss my hat in the ring along with those others for another data point. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #25
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abester135 View Post
I don't think my dyno reads high because my results are comparable to others with Stage 2 on the N54. I posted mainly so I could toss my hat in the ring along with those others for another data point. That's all.
And yet yours is 30hp higher than the OPs. My only point is that all cars and dynos are different and in order to see how far you've come with your car, you need a baseline to compare to. If all Dinan Stage 2 should be making 330rwhp, then there is either something seriously wrong with the OPs car (or the tune), or the dyno is WAY off base.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
acivick Thanks cus thats the answer I was looking for...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Abester135
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-Sport 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
And yet yours is 30hp higher than the OPs. My only point is that all cars and dynos are different and in order to see how far you've come with your car, you need a baseline to compare to. If all Dinan Stage 2 should be making 330rwhp, then there is either something seriously wrong with the OPs car (or the tune), or the dyno is WAY off base.
I fully understand your point. My intent was not to post my -gain- vs stock baseline. As previously stated, I posted to simply add another data point for folks to view.

Regardless of what MY -gain- might be, my dyno'd 333rwhp is very close to other Dinan Stage 2 results that have been posted (see post by Revelate). Mine might be ever so slightly higher, possibly attributable to the BMW Performance Exhaust vs stock, but it's not like 333rwhp is way off in left field. Others have posted similar results for the N54 engine and Dinan Stage 2.

If anything, the OP's Dinan Stage 2 result appears low compared to the other Dinan Stage 2 results we have seen.

Last edited by Abester135; 07-30-2010 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0