BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

ESS or COBB or GIAC

I need to make moves as I need to complete this to get my car back! I am not a drag racer but have all my fun in the corners. I want consistency and the best possible option for my vehicle. I have some mods on stand by and some in trans it.

Installed, on standby or in transit:

-Exhaust: Akrapovic Evolution System installed

-Downpipes: Stock

-Diverter Valves: Forge Diverter Valves on stand by

-Charge Pipe: BMS Charge Pipe on stand by

-FMIC: Forge 1M/N55 FMIC shipped Thursday of last week!

-Air Intake: Stock Box with K&N or AFE ProDry

Software! I can not decide amongst the following:
GIAC, COBB or ESS!

GIAC - I have been in a similar set up car with GIAC and loved it, it was just very aggressive and that concerns me for everyday drive ability/ reliability although the car I went in still to this day has had no issues.

ESS - based on Biglares experience with them, and the way they develop their products I have been won over by ESS since day 1 and is still my gut choice. Only negative I hear is under power!

COBB - no experience with this software other than a '05 stage 2 STI which I love everytime I get into!

There are so many solid options but which is the best for me, I want my car to feel like it oves the way its set up not as if I am pushing it harder than it wants/ needs
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
So if you have your fun in the corners, why are you listing power mods? Shouldn't you be asking about tires, wheels, and suspension?

I'm in the same boat as you regarding tunes. Seems like GIAC has the least issues and you're not the beta tester like you are for COBB and Evolve. I've driven a 1M with the COBB Stage 1+ and it was quite smooth, but the car would also throw codes from time to time. From looking at the E9X forums, the Stage 2 Vargas turbo upgrade with a good tune may yield a linear power curve that doesn't drop off before redline.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
I've had my Cobb AP since Sept of last year and I'm currently running a Cobb stage 1+ 91 octane map. I could load the 93 octane map, but I'm a pussy. I love this thing and I've never had any issues with it. Its silky smooth. In fact, I bought the AP used from a buddy with a 09 335i for $625 and I have access to ANY map Cobb has listed on the site.....unlike others who make you pay for each stage upgrade.

I'm getting DPs soon and loading up the Stage 2+ map for guess how much $$$.........free. Plus, have you seen the latest developments from Vargas and Pro Tuning Freaks (PTF)? Exactly!!! You can also go to a Cobb Pro Tuner for a custom map or go the etuning route from PTF for $249. I've heard great things from a friend regarding the etune through PTF.

Just my .02.
BMWCCA #454364

Last edited by mikewills; 04-22-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
I need to make moves as I need to complete this to get my car back! I am not a drag racer but have all my fun in the corners. I want consistency and the best possible option for my vehicle. I have some mods on stand by and some in trans it.

Installed, on standby or in transit:

-Exhaust: Akrapovic Evolution System installed

-Downpipes: Stock

-Diverter Valves: Forge Diverter Valves on stand by

-Charge Pipe: BMS Charge Pipe on stand by

-FMIC: Forge 1M/N55 FMIC shipped Thursday of last week!

-Air Intake: Stock Box with K&N or AFE ProDry

Software! I can not decide amongst the following:
GIAC, COBB or ESS!

GIAC - I have been in a similar set up car with GIAC and loved it, it was just very aggressive and that concerns me for everyday drive ability/ reliability although the car I went in still to this day has had no issues.

ESS - based on Biglares experience with them, and the way they develop their products I have been won over by ESS since day 1 and is still my gut choice. Only negative I hear is under power!

COBB - no experience with this software other than a '05 stage 2 STI which I love everytime I get into!

There are so many solid options but which is the best for me, I want my car to feel like it oves the way its set up not as if I am pushing it harder than it wants/ needs
Go with Cobb AP all the way. The support from Cobb is unparalleled. Every time I called, I got a tech on the line that stayed with me for however long I needed to get legitimate help with issues. They're awesome. Also Tony Vargas just broke almost 600 whp with Cobb Pro Tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Go with Cobb AP all the way. The support from Cobb is unparalleled. Every time I called, I got a tech on the line that stayed with me for however long I needed to get legitimate help with issues. They're awesome. Also Tony Vargas just broke almost 600 whp with Cobb Pro Tune.
He actually hit 725whp .
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
GIAC if you want the most dependable/linear tune out of all of them.

All the cars than ran the competitive events/races over here in Cali and won used GIAC. They had no failures out on the track either with overheating or any of that.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

if you are talking about horsepower you need to go with renntech
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
So if you have your fun in the corners, why are you listing power mods? Shouldn't you be asking about tires, wheels, and suspension?

I'm in the same boat as you regarding tunes. Seems like GIAC has the least issues and you're not the beta tester like you are for COBB and Evolve. I've driven a 1M with the COBB Stage 1+ and it was quite smooth, but the car would also throw codes from time to time. From looking at the E9X forums, the Stage 2 Vargas turbo upgrade with a good tune may yield a linear power curve that doesn't drop off before redline.
Come on rich , you know what those codes were from

(Mechanical issue unrelated to tune or anything like that)

I plan to add a road course e tune from ptf soon. They still make around 375-400 whp on 93 octane with dp and fmic while running around 15.5 psi, at the expense of some of the very low end tq that you get with the cobb ots maps.

Iat are very low from the logs I've seen, perfect for a reliable and more linear dd that sees track time
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am going with GIAC Stage 2 with flash loader!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
The one that I would put in my car if I would go that way! Did you check with GIAC if and when they will release their new flash that Harold (from HPA) was talking about?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
They finally got a flash loader?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
They finally got a flash loader?
It's really just a switcher.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Your local to me, perhaps just round the corner. Was going to say try RENNtech, they are local in West Palm and all the support your need.

I have been running their tune for over one year and 0 issues. I use the car as a DD also
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
If ECU removal is an option, let us know. We are more than happy to bench flash the ECU for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

ESS all the way fella!!!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions. I can make sure you get a file that meets your specific needs.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
PLAY_HRD
GOT M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

COBB Tuning:

I've noticed that many tunes calculate their gains based off the 135i base performance numbers. COBB actually gives an estimated gain for the 1M, 4% HP and 15% TQ. Based on stock 1M numbers(335 HP and 332 TQ) I come up the gains of 13 HP and 50 TQ, bring the new number to 348 HP and 382 TQ.

My questions are these: Are these numbers right? IF so, why so little HP gains? And how much do you notice the difference between normal to tuned?

Thanks, PH
      05-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY_HRD View Post
COBB Tuning:

I've noticed that many tunes calculate their gains based off the 135i base performance numbers. COBB actually gives an estimated gain for the 1M, 4% HP and 15% TQ. Based on stock 1M numbers(335 HP and 332 TQ) I come up the gains of 13 HP and 50 TQ, bring the new number to 348 HP and 382 TQ.

My questions are these: Are these numbers right? IF so, why so little HP gains? And how much do you notice the difference between normal to tuned?

Thanks, PH
I can't speak for Cobb as I don't use it. I have GIAC Stage 1 and am going to Stage 2 in about 2 weeks. If you look at the stock 135 n54 numbers and tuned 135 n54 numbers you will see a large delta. The 1M comes stock with about half the delta of a tuned 135 n54. So a tuned 1M is on par with the tuned 135 n54.

With a stock 1M I made the GIAC Stage 1 advertised gains of deltas +44whp and +63wtq on 93 octane. Hope this helps you make your decision. I love this tune and you can certainly feel it.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY_HRD View Post
COBB Tuning:

Thanks, PH
all of these tunes basically make the same amount of power, the main difference is the functionality of the tuning mechanism (between flash tunes) and how they work (flash tune vs piggyback).

the other difference is ability to customize the tune and make an individual map for your car based on e tuning or dyno tuning.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am sure you have the GIAC on your 1M for a couple of weeks now. Please share your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I am sure you have the GIAC on your 1M for a couple of weeks now. Please share your impressions.
Here is my initial impression from my build thread titled, "My 1er", I still so in love with this software! I should have some dyno charts/ results by next weekend, everyone has been too busy getting ready for SOWO and I have been pushed aside.

I am so in love with this GIAC Stage 2 software! My 1er is a true beast now! From idle to the way she goes in every gear, I could not be ANY happier/ want anything more/ different! I can not believe the idle, it is so strong sounding! She is perfect/ BETTER than I ever could have expected/ or imagined! Words can not express how much I love my car even more now! This new set up is just so right! Thanks to Harold @ HP Autowerks for all of the assistance with parts and educating me! I will try and get to a dyno done over the weekend to report back my gains.

For someone like myself who used to be so anti-tuning, and for me to feel this way now says a whole lot. Burger ruined the idea of tuning for me due to the problems I had with my 135i and JB+. But when you do a flash, and coupled with all the correct hardware/ bolt ons etc, there is such a difference. GIAC you rock/ have made a true believer out of me when all hope was lost!

When the tuning is done properly, it makes all the difference
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Congrats on your decision to go with GIAC Stage II! I also love my Stage II on my 335i. I converted from Cobb Stage II on my 135. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with this tune in a 1M

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0