BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
TwinPower Turbo Oil Feels Sluggish

I thought I would try BMWs new twin-power turbo motor oil. Changed it in at 45,XXX. Over all I'm pleased with it. Mpg did bump up slightly. However over the past few weeks the car has just felt Sluggish at 48,5XX now. Just doesn't seem to be its perky self. Even when pressing the sport button on the DCT it doesn't do its little dance it once did (aka feels like the car lost 5 buckets of concrete out of the boot).

Could this be the oil? I know I'm due for intake valve cleaning at 60,000 but it seems to have set in pretty rapid over the last month. Is it in my head?
      09-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
I thought I would try BMWs new twin-power turbo motor oil. Changed it in at 45,XXX. Over all I'm pleased with it. Mpg did bump up slightly. However over the past few weeks the car has just felt Sluggish at 48,5XX now. Just doesn't seem to be its perky self. Even when pressing the sport button on the DCT it doesn't do its little dance it once did (aka feels like the car lost 5 buckets of concrete out of the boot).

Could this be the oil? I know I'm due for intake valve cleaning at 60,000 but it seems to have set in pretty rapid over the last month. Is it in my head?
What grade did you run before changing your oil?

This sounds more like an overfilled sump, rather than any effect of oil grade/brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
Quote:

What grade did you run before changing your oil?

This sounds more like an overfilled sump, rather than any effect of oil grade/brand.
Before I just ran Castrol Sae-5w30 (non BMW brand). However this last time I wanted try BMWs new oil. Mpg did go up so I guess that explains the performance drop.
      09-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Before I just ran Castrol Sae-5w30 (non BMW brand). However this last time I wanted try BMWs new oil. Mpg did go up so I guess that explains the performance drop.
I don't think your change in oil would have anything to do with it. You did not change grades, so it should not affect your engine performance. Maybe if you switched to a 5W-50 or 10W-60, I could see problems, but you did not.

Overfilling your sump however (even 1/2 quart, which may not show on your electronic OLS), can affect idle roughness and engine performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think your change in oil would have anything to do with it. You did not change grades, so it should not affect your engine performance. Maybe if you switched to a 5W-50 or 10W-60, I could see problems, but you did not.

Overfilling your sump however (even 1/2 quart, which may not show on your electronic OLS), can affect idle roughness and engine performance.
Now that I'm thinking about it. Last oil change I did put 7 quarts in the car. Since I don't have a half empty bottle of that oil anywhere that I can see.
      09-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking about it. Last oil change I did put 7 quarts in the car. Since I don't have a half empty bottle of that oil anywhere that I can see.
For some reason, I've only been able to drain about 6-6.5 quarts out of my engine when I do my changes.

Last year, I put in 7 quarts and later measured that I only drained out 6.5 quarts. My idle was rough and it felt like my engine was not as smooth at full throttle. The OLS read max, but no "overfill" warning.

On my next oil change, I only added ~6.5 quarts or so and my OLS was just short of full (max) and my engine ran much smoother.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
For some reason, I've only been able to drain about 6-6.5 quarts out of my engine when I do my changes.

Last year, I put in 7 quarts and later measured that I only drained out 6.5 quarts. My idle was rough and it felt like my engine was not as smooth at full throttle. The OLS read max, but no "overfill" warning.

On my next oil change, I only added ~6.5 quarts or so and my OLS was just short of full (max) and my engine ran much smoother.
Crazy how it can make that big of a difference. Glad it's nothing too serious. After a oil change and intake cleaning at 60k she should be back to her old self hopefully.
      09-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post

I have a question since you helped me out last time with my oil problem. I was about to order some new oil since I'm due for a change in 500 miles. I noticed that BMW now has a BMW M TwinPower Turbo 10W-60. I currently run the 5w-30.

What are the benefits or consequences of using the 10W-60 oil?
      09-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a question since you helped me out last time with my oil problem. I was about to order some new oil since I'm due for a change in 500 miles. I noticed that BMW now has a BMW M TwinPower Turbo 10W-60. I currently run the 5w-30.

For your engine, I would recommend you not use this oil. I believe it was only designed for M3 owners who were having bearing failures, so they needed a very high viscosity oil for protection. It would most likely lower your gas mileage and make your engine feel sluggish (might be too heavy for your oil pump).

Personally, I use Castrol 0W-30/0W-40, since it is LL-01 approved and very inexpensive at Walmart/on sale at Advance AP (Mobil 1 0W-40 is also an excellent choice). Actually, any LL-01 approved oil should work well in your engine, though I prefer a 0W for the better start-up protection it provides.

Right now, Mobil 1 is offering $12 back on a purchase of 5Q, so you could get Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart for ~$25-28, plus $12 back with a rebate check. They allow two rebates, so you could end up with 10Q for around ~$32.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

For your engine, I would recommend you not use this oil. I believe it was only designed for M3 owners who were having bearing failures, so they needed a very high viscosity oil for protection. It would most likely lower your gas mileage and make your engine feel sluggish (might be too heavy for your oil pump).

Personally, I use Castrol 0W-30/0W-40, since it is LL-01 approved and very inexpensive at Walmart/on sale at Advance AP (Mobil 1 0W-40 is also an excellent choice). Actually, any LL-01 approved oil should work well in your engine, though I prefer a 0W for the better start-up protection it provides.

Right now, Mobil 1 is offering $12 back on a purchase of 5Q, so you could get Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart for ~$25-28, plus $12 back with a rebate check. They allow two rebates, so you could end up with 10Q for around ~$32.
Awesome thanks for the information.