BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #45
Ryan L
Private
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
It's not about the M badge. Read the entire thread. Like many other 1M owners, I'm a prior 135i owner.

Or better yet, read 2 posts right above yours. Suspension upgrades + an LSD doesn't quite cut it.
I think I saw you drive past the St Johns Town Center the other weekend... I was in my Jeep though.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #46
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
It's not about the M badge. Read the entire thread. Like many other 1M owners, I'm a prior 135i owner.

Or better yet, read 2 posts right above yours. Suspension upgrades + an LSD doesn't quite cut it.
I've read the thread. Why don't you read the mods listed in his signature above for his 135i? A Quaife LSD, BMW performance suspension, tires and an M3 front sway bar isn't going to give you the 1M feel. Duh! If he were to install the front control arms and tension rods, rear subframe bushings, rear lower control arms and links in addition to what he did I will bet you his 135i would feel damn near the same given they were dialed in the same way and had similar tires. I know there are additional differences that all contribute to the bigger picture, but those components I mentioned will get you almost there if you really cared about comparing the two.

The 1M is undeniably a better car right off the bat and is built by BMW so you get the factory reliability, resale value benefit and so on, but I stand by my comment that the 135i can be everything the 1M is and can be for less.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #47
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
I think I saw you drive past the St Johns Town Center the other weekend... I was in my Jeep though.
Yup That was me. I have the only orange one around and I was at the TC this past weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #48
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
I've read the thread. Why don't you read the mods listed in his signature above for his 135i? A Quaife LSD, BMW performance suspension, tires and an M3 front sway bar isn't going to give you the 1M feel. Duh! If he were to install the front control arms and tension rods, rear subframe bushings, rear lower control arms and links in addition to what he did I will bet you his 135i would feel damn near the same given they were dialed in the same way and had similar tires. I know there are additional differences that all contribute to the bigger picture, but those components I mentioned will get you almost there if you really cared about comparing the two.

The 1M is undeniably a better car right off the bat and is built by BMW so you get the factory reliability, resale value benefit and so on, but I stand by my comment that the 135i can be everything the 1M is and can be for less.
Not really. Cannot replicate the wider track, cannot replicate the better steering ratio (which is a huge difference in the handling game between a 135i and a 1M), cannot replicate the over boost feature. In the end, if you were to spend all that money in upgrades to make it be "almost" a 1M, not only have you spent beyond the price of a 1M itself, but it's still not a 1M and at this point what sense would it make to purchase a 135i and spend all that money on mods? Just buy a 1M which is what he (and I) did.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #49
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not really. Cannot replicate the wider track, cannot replicate the better steering ratio (which is a huge difference in the handling game between a 135i and a 1M), cannot replicate the over boost feature. In the end, if you were to spend all that money in upgrades to make it be "almost" a 1M, not only have you spent beyond the price of a 1M itself, but it's still not a 1M and at this point what sense would it make to purchase a 135i and spend all that money on mods? Just buy a 1M which is what he (and I) did.
2-3 inches wider, so what? Same spec wheels and tires as the 1M would shorten that gap just by that alone. I don't know where that width comes from so I can't comment beyond that. Steering rack, sure. Not a huge deal though. So you will have to go hand over hand more frequently on an autocross course. Overboost feature? That's gotta be a joke... BMW artificially limits the car and then gives you an overboost feature so you feel special. Reflash both ECU's and they'll be more or less the same.

Get a nicely maintained, pre-owned 135i and add the modifications you need to even the playing field and you'll have a car that feels similar and is just as quick for less. No chance would it cost more. Spend sticker price for a 1M versus a nice, pre-owned 135i with the difference in modifications and I bet the car would be faster in every measurable test.

It really doesn't even matter, this is stupid. If you think the feel and performance of a 1M can't be had for less than the cost a 1M then you're ignorant. It's better to be built than bought IMO with the best driver being king no matter what he's driving. That's what I am in this for.

Last edited by IGoFast1589; 12-13-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #50
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion01 View Post
Fender rubbing issues on those rim widths, I'd have thought.
I am running 235 front 265 rear Nitto 555s on stock rims with absolutely no rubbing right now. (Stock height)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #51
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

Quote:
Um...yes you can.

Go to evolution racewerks site. Wider fenders and you can run a square 285 setup. (more if you want as they only stopped there do to their race series restrictions)

The 1m is just using M3 suspension parts. You can get all of that....for cheaper than the 1m premium. And throw in better where needed...for even more savings over bmw oem parts. (coilovers being the prime example)

Over boost is a crock of crap. All the tune developers have said they couldn't find any such feature.

I am not hating on the 1m as i think it is a great car. Clearly better part for part or stock for stock. But dollar for dollar you can build a faster more personalized car for cheaper with a 135i. Especially if you buy used. I can understand the resale argument but that isn't a factor for many tuners as they care about a car that fits them...cars are not investments, rarely can you make money on one.

So for a guy willing to do some modding...you are getting an M badge and a better looking body. Though my car has M badges all over it from the factory. And i bet all those body panels could be made to fit...ER widebody if they don't.

Just my $.02

Edit...I bet the steering rack could be swapped as well honestly. (they said it came from the M3 parts bin....that means junk yards have them)

That HP car had a lot of un necessary parts adding to the total $. Could spend mush less and make it all work.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #52
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2-3 inches wider, so what? Same spec wheels and tires as the 1M would shorten that gap just by that alone. I don't know where that width comes from so I can't comment beyond that. Steering rack, sure. Not a huge deal though. So you will have to go hand over hand more frequently on an autocross course. Overboost feature? That's gotta be a joke... BMW artificially limits the car and then gives you an overboost feature so you feel special. Reflash both ECU's and they'll be more or less the same.

Get a nicely maintained, pre-owned 135i and add the modifications you need to even the playing field and you'll have a car that feels similar and is just as quick for less. No chance would it cost more. Spend sticker price for a 1M versus a nice, pre-owned 135i with the difference in modifications and I bet the car would be faster in every measurable test.

It really doesn't even matter, this is stupid. If you think the feel and performance of a 1M can't be had for less than the cost a 1M then you're ignorant. It's better to be built than bought IMO with the best driver being king no matter what he's driving. That's what I am in this for.
Ignorant? oh boy...I'm ready to get on a track with you tomorrow and put my money where my mouth is, are you?!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #53
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED AIR View Post
Um...yes you can.

Go to evolution racewerks site. Wider fenders and you can run a square 285 setup. (more if you want as they only stopped there do to their race series restrictions)

The 1m is just using M3 suspension parts. You can get all of that....for cheaper than the 1m premium. And throw in better where needed...for even more savings over bmw oem parts. (coilovers being the prime example)

Over boost is a crock of crap. All the tune developers have said they couldn't find any such feature.

I am not hating on the 1m as i think it is a great car. Clearly better part for part or stock for stock. But dollar for dollar you can build a faster more personalized car for cheaper with a 135i. Especially if you buy used. I can understand the resale argument but that isn't a factor for many tuners as they care about a car that fits them...cars are not investments, rarely can you make money on one.

So for a guy willing to do some modding...you are getting an M badge and a better looking body. Though my car has M badges all over it from the factory. And i bet all those body panels could be made to fit...ER widebody if they don't.

Just my $.02

Edit...I bet the steering rack could be swapped as well honestly. (they said it came from the M3 parts bin....that means junk yards have them)

That HP car had a lot of un necessary parts adding to the total $. Could spend mush less and make it all work.
Sure
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #54
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ignorant? oh boy...I'm ready to get on a track with you tomorrow and put my money where my mouth is, are you?!
If we are just simply talking about being faster than 1M with a 135i then it's even easier if you don't care about feel and crisp driving feedback. Pixelblue did it with an open differential and stock power... Sorry to disappoint.

If I had the $ I would totally get a 1M also, but a 135i can still be everything a 1M is and can be without a doubt. Same deal with an STi and WRX. Plenty of WRX's out there that are faster than STi's without much $ put into them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #55
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
...with R spec tires, hardly counts!
Yes, but an LSD and an additional 100+ whp over a factory 135i > than 245 race spec tires, the factory open differential and stock 135i power. $.02

I would love to see track telemetry and and times here. I don't see why it's that hard to believe that it's not that difficult... Take The $18,000 or so spent in modifications to the 135i in the article and add it to a used 135i for let's say $28,000 and it's done. Use the $18,000 the spent in the article even more wisely by using the money spent on useless cosmetic changes towards wider fenders to fit wheels and tires that are the same size as a factory 1M and there you go. Done.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #56
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If we are just simply talking about being faster than 1M with a 135i then it's even easier if you don't care about feel and crisp driving feedback. Pixelblue did it with an open differential and stock power... Sorry to disappoint.

If I had the $ I would totally get a 1M also, but a 135i can still be everything a 1M is and can be without a doubt. Same deal with an STi and WRX. Plenty of WRX's out there that are faster than STi's without much $ put into them.
Dude I'm talking about you and me, on a track, with straight aways and corners. End of story.

Oh and I certainly care about feel and crisp, if I didn't I would still drive a 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #57
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Funny how this promo article didn't do any laps, they must have been really confident, or hoping 135i owners are about to dump huge $ in mods!!

Simple solution...get a modded 135i (without R spec tires, as shown is earlier post) & a stock 1M on the track with same driver.

My money is on the 1M
I'm with you buddy...both you and I come from a 135i background and understand what many seem not to. I'm gonna leave it here and go for a drive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #58
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dude I'm talking about you and me, on a track, with straight aways and corners. End of story.

Oh and I certainly care about feel and crisp, if I didn't I would still drive a 135i
I didn't post in this thread to compare driver skill with you or anyone else. That was stupid to even say because you have no idea wether I am Ayrton Senna or old lady with arthritis. Nor did I post here to prove the 135i is better than a 1M because it really isn't. I just posted to back the articles conclusion that a 135i can be everything the 1M can be for less. Hell, they didn't need the Stoptech Trophy's to set a faster lap time or a second set of wheels and tires either. Nice additions, but if we are talking about a single fast lap here then definitely not.

What do you think, HPA? You've got the relevant experience here to say for sure. Despite what some may consider a bias opinion due to the potential profits of the more accessible 135i market.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #59
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

interesting read!
I thought about this topic the second I heard the 1M hadthis engine

performance aside... the 1M is wayyyy hotter
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #60
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

My ideal world would be the 1M stock for weekend driving and sporadic track days (given the collectible factor) and getting a used 135i to modify and turn it into a track/race car.

One of these days....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #61
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I do not know how I missed this article until now, It was a great read and a great exposure to Harold and the others at HP Autowerks, which in my opinion is one of the most standup vendors out there for the 1 series.

I have always said I would love to put my car up against a 1M and see the outcome. I do love the look of the 1M, but when all is said I walked out of the dealer $8K below sticker with a new 135I and done 100% of the labor on mods myself and I figure I have about $8K still to play with (which should cover turbo, fuel system and a few other upgrades) and with that I would have my sights on much more than a 1M. I would bet my car is a better DD for my 100 mile round trip to work with a much better stereo!!!

This article did make me think my next mod should be a new 1M steering rack, which should be easy enough to get.

All joking aside, because I would hate to ruffle up all the M purist, the 1M is an awesome car without a doubt.
JB4 l Berk AB l AP Mids l PLM DP's l RSD CP l Injen CAI l BSH OCC l ETS FMIC l Koni FSD's l BMW Performance Springs l Complete M3 Frt & Rear l Dinan Shock Mnts & Camber Plates l Quaife LSD l Morel Speakers l Zapco Amps l BMW SS Pedals l Pearlescent Brake Handle l 30% Tint l ICarbon Dry Diffuser l Matte / Gloss Grills l Black 135i emblem l P3 V2 Gauge l SF-71's l Conti DW's 235/265-19's l LCI Tails l Lux H8

Last edited by 1fastbmw; 12-14-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #62
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Am I the only one that noticed they are comparing a N54 1M to a N55 135i? Regardless, this shouldn't change the outcome of how the two handle, but I would think you would want to compare more apples to apples and have a N54 135i instead of the N55. I've never driven a N55 equipped BMW, but I would think the power output is completely different. Your going from twins to a twin-scroll single.
I was thinking the exact same thing. They should have modded an N54 135i because then it would be the same base engine.
      12-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #63
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW....yet

very nice

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #64
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastbmw View Post
I do not know how I missed this article until now, It was a great read and a great exposure to Harold and the others at HP Autowerks, which in my opinion is one of the most standup vendors out there for the 1 series.

I have always said I would love to put my car up against a 1M and see the outcome. I do love the look of the 1M, but when all is said I walked out of the dealer $8K below sticker with a new 135I and done 100% of the labor on mods myself and I figure I have about $8K still to play with (which should cover turbo, fuel system and a few other upgrades) and with that I would have my sights on much more than a 1M. I would bet my car is a better DD for my 100 mile round trip to work with a much better stereo!!!

This article did make me think my next mod should be a new 1M steering rack, which should be easy enough to get.

All joking aside, because I would hate to ruffle up all the M purist, the 1M is an awesome car without a doubt.
If I could afford to make an exchange for a 1M, I would..but I can't. So I've been looking into the M cars' steering too.
These are the only part #s I found different, so is this the part that makes the steering tighter on the M cars?

The BMW 135 part I found on REALOEM is
hydro steering gear 32106777463 $1,394.37.

The BMW 1M part I found on REALOEM is
hydro steering gear 32102283633 $1,673.24.

The BMW M3 part I found on REALOEM is
hydro steering gear 32102283633 $1,673.24.

Part #1

12-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #65
Prince ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I need to change the steering rack of my 135i due to a car accident. Is it possible to install the 1M unit without any other modification and, if so, with what kind of results in terms of steering wheel effort considering that also the steering pump is different on the ///M?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #66
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince ///M View Post
I need to change the steering rack of my 135i due to a car accident. Is it possible to install the 1M unit without any other modification and, if so, with what kind of results in terms of steering wheel effort considering that also the steering pump is different on the ///M?
Good question and I don't know. But I did notice the pump are different.

BMW 135 steering pump

BMW 1M steering pump