BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #23
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Im contemplating taking off the 135i badge and replacing it with a BITURBO badge.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #24
imported_NoelSmart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I will de-badge my 135i same as I have de-badged every car I have owned.

It is more aesthetically pleasing to not have words cluttering the design of my vehicle. Brand badges like the roundel are integrated into the design and look nice. The model names and numbers are afterthoughts stuck on there with a different name in every country it's sold practically.

I am especially prone to removing badges when they are as asinine as BMW's current nomenclature. 135i implies there is a 3.5L engine. This is not the case, and makes me want to remove the offending badge even more.
      10-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #25
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Well said Templedogg. How the hell did we get to a point in society where people actually believe they are improving their car by taking parts like the factory badging off? Its the most insanely stupid trend going right now. Oh wait...I get it, the car will be lighter and faster without a badge.

Remember all the fools in the early to mid 90s that wore their jeans hanging half way off their ass and their underwear sticking 3 inches up over their pants, a la Marky Mark? Those dumb asses most have all grown up and decided to start taking the badges off their cars.

Every decade there's sure to be another retarded trend that spreads like wildfire. What ever happened to baby Daytons and wheel spacers? 10 years ago, you couldn't beat wiggers out of that stupid crap with a Louisville slugger. And debadging is every bit as stupid.
Wow, I am glad that I am not that close minded ^

I can see it both ways and I haven't decided which I will wanna go with. It certainly is not a stupid trend carried on by "dumb asses", but rather a matter of personal taste.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #26
tilldayfalloff
Rep
Drives: watining on 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
whats with all the debadge haters?

comparing it to wearing pants that dont fit? please. get a grip.

I don't debadge my cars because I think it will improve my car. I don't think it will make the car lighter or faster. Its nowhere near as "trendy" as baby daytons and wheel spacers. A lack of a tiny badge on the back won't ever be "out of style".

I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I have a lower model, so that I can beat them in a race. I also don't feel it necessary to advertise what type of car I have. I buy cars for myself and my own enjoyment, not to get "props" from people I don't know and don't care about.

The only reason I do it is because I like the way it looks. I like symmetry. So sue me. I think the back of car looks cleaner without all the uneccesary badging. The badges themselves actually serve no purpose. So why have them?

I fully understand if you want to leave the badges on, but I really don't see why some of you are getting so hot cause someone wants to take them off.
:thumbup:

Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries
Every decade there's sure to be another retarded trend that spreads like wildfire. What ever happened to baby Daytons and wheel spacers? 10 years ago, you couldn't beat wiggers out of that stupid crap with a Louisville slugger. And debadging is every bit as stupid.

whats a wigger guy?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #27
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

I don't think I would debadge my 135i. I did debadge my Z4 the same day I got the car, I didn't like the Z4 nor the 2.5i on the side it just looked so much better without the badge. But I like the 330i in my current car.

I also like debadged 6-series, it looks very good. This is something that you either like or dont like in my case I think it works on some cars. But what I don't like is when people badge cars with other model names... like the classic E36 325i with M3 badges all over the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 11:36 PM   #28
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I debadge cars because it's a much cleaner look afterwards, and I appreciate fine design. The rear end of the 135i needs all the help it can get to remove some of the busy-ness.

Also, it makes waxing easier.

Those of you who are vehemently opposed to it, or even care at all for that matter, are ummmmm interesting, to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #29
blitzed310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Well said Templedogg. How the hell did we get to a point in society where people actually believe they are improving their car by taking parts like the factory badging off? Its the most insanely stupid trend going right now. Oh wait...I get it, the car will be lighter and faster without a badge.

Remember all the fools in the early to mid 90s that wore their jeans hanging half way off their ass and their underwear sticking 3 inches up over their pants, a la Marky Mark? Those dumb asses most have all grown up and decided to start taking the badges off their cars.

Umm BMW started doing this in the early 80's with the E21. If you got the iS model, it came debadged from the factory, not even an option. And this was before BMW started using adhesive badges where there were actaully holes in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #30
1Power
Rep
Drives:

Badge delete is the norm in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Badge deleting is very common in Europe. So much so that it is an option there. I believe I recall the E46 M3 having that as a no cost option in the U.S. too, but I could be wrong. I decided to debadge my 3 after seeing footage (on Fifth Gear I believe) on the streets and really liking the clean look it provides.

As for the original question, even if it is not an option, they are easy to remove yourself and there are no visible signs of it being there before if done right.
Exactly. You rarely see the model badge in Germany - the greatest car culture in the world - and it's not a fad for them. There it's considered poor taste to display the badge.

I personally prefer the clean debadged look also, and used dental floss to debadge 2 BMWs. This discussion appears to boil down to personal taste, so don't be hatin'.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #31
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

ONLY reason to leave the badge on is so people dont think its a 135i rip off of a 128i IMO. Thats the exact reason why I left my S4 badge on my audi.... so people dont think its a A4. It depends on the car.... for example an evo or STI would be badgeless for sure... my cobra was badgeless as well... BMW... not a performance model i wouldn't!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #32
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I still see people with their pants around their asses and they have to walk with their legs wide so their pants don't fall down.

I will probably badge delete for 2 reasons: # 1 and most important is the cleaner look. # 2 is this being completely new model for BMWUSA people will look at it and say "what the hell was that that just drove by?" kind of low-profile to the point of mystery (international-man-of-) :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #33
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Why not take the BMW badges off, too. Maybe people will mistake it for an Elantra!
It's my car. 'Nuf said. People are way too touchy here and need to calm down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #34
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Hey WOB-er don't forget that badge delete is a factory option in Germany :biggrin: I agree that it's a matter of taste/preference. I ordered my '01 A3 without badges but left them on the MINI. After seeing the rear end of the 135 "in the flesh" I figure I'll probably have the badge pulled off of mine. It (IMO) just gives the back end a much cleaner look

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #35
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I am surprised no one has photo shopped it yet. hint hint

<Just to throw some flame retardent out there, I don't have the program so no I can't just do it myself>
      10-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #36
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilldayfalloff View Post
:thumbup:

whats a wigger guy?
You don't want to know my friend. Its an abomination that should be punishable by death.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #37
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I am surprised no one has photo shopped it yet. hint hint

<Just to throw some flame retardent out there, I don't have the program so no I can't just do it myself>
Well all I have at work is Paint but.... :iono:
Attached Images

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #38
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Well all I have at work is Paint but.... :iono:

a cleaner look indeed
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #39
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You don't want to know my friend. Its an abomination that should be punishable by death.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #40
HotDogWater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race 1 View Post
ONLY reason to leave the badge on is so people dont think its a 135i rip off of a 128i IMO. Thats the exact reason why I left my S4 badge on my audi.... so people dont think its a A4. It depends on the car.... for example an evo or STI would be badgeless for sure... my cobra was badgeless as well... BMW... not a performance model i wouldn't!
maybe it's just me but i really don't care what people think of my car -- they're not the ones driving it. mine will be debadged as soon as i get it to the us
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #41
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Funny, my Dad used to go to a dealership in Toronto that had a little green Ford Fiesta (or maybe it was a GM-something) they used for parts delivery or somehting that had been re-badged 123i. Not sure they'll be doing that much longer.

I'm on the fence on the whole de-badging thing. If I do it, it would be purely for esthetics. But I'm not sure I'm too bothered either way. The car is what it is. Spotless and well-maintained are my priority...
      10-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #42
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'd like to get a 135i rebadged to 118d.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #43
HKF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No Comment

Debadging? That's tight, yo!!! Just kidding. IMO, it's a silly practice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #44
Imprezin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi A4

I like both looks ... i think they are to different kinds of styles

2008 Audi A4 2.0T 6mt, Old Car- 2005 WRX
Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0