BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

2 Slashed Tyres. Does BMW insurance cover this?

So i get in my car yesterday afternoon, and go for a ride, when i notice that my car is pulling to the left pretty hard. I hop out have a look, and saw that both my left side tyres are low, and after checking realize that theres 0 psi in both. I get the car to a service station so i can pump them up, and thats when i hear the air gushing out of 2 punctures in the sidewall. Needless to say that now im in need of 2 new tyres.
On that note i was wondering if anyone knows wether the BMW tyre insurance covers vandalism? If anyone can shed some light on the subject i would greatly appreciate it.
      02-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Sorry to hear.

Doubtful that BMW tire insurance will cover it.

If anything it may be covered under your personal auto insurance policy's conprehensive section.

However, depending on your deductable, it might not be worth it to file the claim.

Shop around on here or on ebay...there are decent deals to be had. I just scored a set of rear OE tires off ebay with 85% tread left for only $240.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Yea your comp would cover it and in most states comp claims dont affect your rates since they are not "at-fault" losses....however most deductibles are 500 but i keep mine at 250 for stuff like this....Like he said your best best is to shop for some used OE tires
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Find them.
      02-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Yea your comp would cover it and in most states comp claims dont affect your rates since they are not "at-fault" losses....however most deductibles are 500 but i keep mine at 250 for stuff like this....Like he said your best best is to shop for some used OE tires
The last time I inquired about claiming vandalism, my insurance agent warned me that while the first time wouldn't affect my rates, a subsequent claim would likely see me classified as parking in a dangerous area and that would. Insurance companies, at least in Canada, never want you to file a claim for everything at risk of enormous rate increases.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlash View Post
The last time I inquired about claiming vandalism, my insurance agent warned me that while the first time wouldn't affect my rates, a subsequent claim would likely see me classified as parking in a dangerous area and that would. Insurance companies, at least in Canada, never want you to file a claim for everything at risk of enormous rate increases.
Really? They can raise rates if a general area is classified as higher risk but thats generally a blanket rate increase for everyone in that area...not just one person but maybe things are different in Canada.....Ins is what I used to do (crooked industry by the way) and ive proabably at least 8 comp claims on my vehicles in the last 4 yrs from vandilsm, flying debris, and animal hits.....Never had a rate increase
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Sounds like you TPMS never went off?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Sounds like you TPMS never went off?
LOL...now that you mention it, no it didnt; i was so pissed, that i didnt even think of that...lol.

Thanks all for the info, im gonna talk to my broker, im sure my package policy will cover it.
      03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Highend2
bmwfan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlash
Your Agent is an idiot. I work for an insurance company and what he told you is illegal. They can't raise rates for a Comp claim as it is for all intensive purposes " Beyond your control". I would switch insurance companies.
Appreciate 0