BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Scoops for intake

Has anyone got scoops for their intake installed?

If so, do you think they did anything? I just picked up an intake with plenum and was wondering about getting some scoops to force a bit more air in. Seems like it would be more benificial over standard if you are not running the stock intake/box.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

you mean bonnet scoop?
forced air induction doesn't work with turbocharged cars.. the turbo will only suck in as much as the compressor wheel(s) are spinning, which will be inline with how fast the exhaust wheels are spinning
      01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
While it won't 'froce' any air in; it may drop the overall temperature of air being taken in by the turbos making them slightly more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Sorry, I meant the scoops you can buy from someone like Riss Racing that install underneath the factory air intake above the radiator. They puch cold air into the intake rather than the intake suck in air.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've heard mixed responses from people. Some people think it's a waste and others think it adds a few ponies. It's hard to quantify any gains on the dyno though. I'd go for it, seeing as though they're roughly $100 and they can make the car look a lot more aggressive as well, plus it can't really hurt the car. What intake + plenum did you end up going with? How's the car been running anyway? Notice any gains from the intake?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I have the BMS dual cone on there at the moment. I can't say I noticed much difference, just the sound :-D

I picked up the Riss Racing intake and plenum which looks a lot nicer and more effective as it isn't just a pair of cone filters, it's actually a filter, plenum to force the air right onto the filter and pipes etc which place the filter to the corner of the engine bay which is away from the heat of the engine.

So if anyone wants the BMS dual cones I may not be using them soon.

Reason for the scoops is that when you look at the factory intake, the cold air is sucked in by the filters through the front of the car. Now with the aftermarket intake on there it is not sealed so there is no suction of air from the outside so the factory intake may not be actually getting much cold air. If the scoops work as stated, then it should push air in there at speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

How come you went with RR? They don't have a very good reputation
on these forums anymore and many people have had issues with fitment of their parts. How did yours go? Any noticeable gains?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I went with it because I picked it up very cheap :-)

I know they have a bad rep now, but for the cost I wasn't too worried. I haven't fitted it yet so will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Fitted the intake, was reasonably easy. Will let you know how it goes. Doubt I will notice anything, but it should definitely get some cooler air where it is now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Sweet. I'm keen to see how it goes. I'm looking at JB 2.0 as soon as beta testing is finished. I'll get an axel back too. I haven't really given much thought to an intake but there's a few options out there. I should try and make the next meet up so I can check your car out.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

SBM's 135i, scoops behind BMW Performance Grills

Close up of one scoop

I'd like to answer your question but cannot as i am currently not a vendor and cannot get vendor status for a while yet as i still have infractions over me.....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #12
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
You can't answer a question?! That's lame... How is that anything to do with being a vendor? You're not selling me anything...

Oh well, thanks anyway Andrew!

Update: After going for a drive, I can't say I've notice much difference, definitely not a noticeable difference in power. Although it may just be in my head, but it may feel more responsive and a bit more 'eager' to go?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

I can answer anything, no probs, but i couldn't suggest the price as most would realise i would have some in stock that i was keen to get rid of. I had them in the items for sale section for a while. my bad if i misread your post.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
You can't answer a question?! That's lame... How is that anything to do with being a vendor? You're not selling me anything...

Oh well, thanks anyway Andrew!

Update: After going for a drive, I can't say I've notice much difference, definitely not a noticeable difference in power. Although it may just be in my head, but it may feel more responsive and a bit more 'eager' to go?
Relax dude, Andrew just doesn't want to get banned again, this time permanently! We all benefit from him being here so it's best he doesn't do anything to change that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Andrew; Thanks for that, what I was interested in is knowing if they do anything. Will it have an effect.

Way; I understand that, was just crazy to think that he couldn't answer my question. Which he just stated that he was ok to do. I never mentioned buying anything...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Sweet. I'm keen to see how it goes. I'm looking at JB 2.0 as soon as beta testing is finished. I'll get an axel back too. I haven't really given much thought to an intake but there's a few options out there. I should try and make the next meet up so I can check your car out.

After having it on there for a little while now, seat of the pants dyno can't tell much difference. Biggest difference is the noise, it's not as loud. Might be because it's further away in the engine bay, or maybe it doesn't suck in as much air?

Or because it's only one filter, so both turbos are sucking in from the one filter, which always concerened me... Wouldn't the air sucking from one source cause friction between the two pipes? Because one turbo has better flow than the other? I've always thought this is why a dual cone intake would be better than a single...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
After having it on there for a little while now, seat of the pants dyno can't tell much difference. Biggest difference is the noise, it's not as loud. Might be because it's further away in the engine bay, or maybe it doesn't suck in as much air?

Or because it's only one filter, so both turbos are sucking in from the one filter, which always concerened me... Wouldn't the air sucking from one source cause friction between the two pipes? Because one turbo has better flow than the other? I've always thought this is why a dual cone intake would be better than a single...
That's unusual that it's making less noise. I assumed most aftermarket intakes would enhance the noise. You'll probably notice the extra ponies when you really push your car to the limit and in much cooler conditions. Lately my car has felt so slow because of the heat. Yesterday was a killer!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I meant that it makes less noise than the BMS dual cone I had in it before the RR. Agreed about the heat it was crazy!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I meant that it makes less noise than the BMS dual cone I had in it before the RR. Agreed about the heat it was crazy!
Oh ok I'm with you now. Just wait until winter comes around... your car will pull and sound like an animal
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Andrew; Thanks for that, what I was interested in is knowing if they do anything. Will it have an effect.

Way; I understand that, was just crazy to think that he couldn't answer my question. Which he just stated that he was ok to do. I never mentioned buying anything...
Well, the crazy one isn't Andrew, it's the rules that governs this board!

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I was in there recently and Andrew has a set of those scoops as seen on his car on special. I can't remember the exact price now, but I do recall thinking that is pretty good. Give him a call if you guys are interested, don't PM him as he will get in trouble again! I'm not affiliated with Andrew at all moderator, in case you want to ban me for saying the above. I am just his customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #21
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Yes agreed, very crazy! But thanks Way
Appreciate 0