BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Musicar Sub Upgrade

I am having a really hard time deciding which package I wanna go with. I swore I wasn't going to modify the audio system in the next car I bought when I went to purchase my 1er and is why I made sure to buy one with an HK in it, but after two years I just can't take the lack of low end bass (sub 200Hz) anymore. I have tweaked and tweaked the EQ, research that to death, and taken the advice from some of those threads. It's just not gonna do it for me. I need a sub, but it has to be plug and play. I settled on the Musicar upgrade after a lot of researching. It seems to be the best way to accomplish my goal as I am fine with the rest of the HK speakers in the car. I just don't know which sub-only package of theirs to go with. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'd suggest the full bass version which amplifies the underseat 8" speakers. They really come alive just form the power boost alone. And gaining crossover control for them is a nice bonus to help balance the sound and not have too much overlap between them and the sub.

I have similar / more thoughts when I went through my upgrade decisions here if you have time and interest to read:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121294
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'd suggest the full bass version which amplifies the underseat 8" speakers. They really come alive just form the power boost alone. And gaining crossover control for them is a nice bonus to help balance the sound and not have too much overlap between them and the sub.

I have similar / more thoughts when I went through my upgrade decisions here if you have time and interest to read:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121294
Thank you, sir. I had read your thread before posting. Definitely appreciate the advice. I am going to go with custom with a JL Audio 12TW3, 300 watt amp, and the Technic HK harness (already ordered). I thought about it a lot and I think, for what I want out of this upgrade, it's the route to go. Not worried about look that much (going to just get the PowerWedge CS112LG-TW3 setup) as I don't show off my trunk to people. For the rare occasion that I fold down the back seats, I will have the amp remote mounted so I can quickly disconnect the box/sub and move/remove it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I would suggest relooking the sub enclosure. Do some reading on Infinate baffle installs. IB installs are 2-3 times more efficient and much better sound quality when done correctly.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I would suggest relooking the sub enclosure. Do some reading on Infinate baffle installs. IB installs are 2-3 times more efficient and much better sound quality when done correctly.
I will definitely look into that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Sure, different goals for different people. After ~ 25 years of 12V stereos as a hobby, I wanted tried & true this time and was willing to pay a little extra. I knew the sub would match well, the amp would work for signal sensing as a turn-on lead and not drain my battery, it would mount where I wanted it, I didn't have to go shop for ring terminals and such for the battery, I didn't have to figure out a way to anchor the sub in place, and so on. I also felt I did indeed want to amp and cross over the underseat 8"ers as well. With a new baby taking my spare time, and my plans to keep the car for a while, just made the most sense.

Anyhow - cool, congrats on the decision and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Sure, different goals for different people. After ~ 25 years of 12V stereos as a hobby, I wanted tried & true this time and was willing to pay a little extra. I knew the sub would match well, the amp would work for signal sensing as a turn-on lead and not drain my battery, it would mount where I wanted it, I didn't have to go shop for ring terminals and such for the battery, I didn't have to figure out a way to anchor the sub in place, and so on. I also felt I did indeed want to amp and cross over the underseat 8"ers as well. With a new baby taking my spare time, and my plans to keep the car for a while, just made the most sense.

Anyhow - cool, congrats on the decision and good luck!
Absolutely, and if I needed the cargo space (seriously, this box takes up NO room due to it being a shallow mount 12), I would've gone your route. I won't have any issue securing it and the amp will be mounted out of sight and away. Since reading other threads from other forums concerning the frequency measurements of the HK system in the 1, I am confident I can tune it to my liking between the built in EQ and the amp's crossover settings.
Appreciate 0