BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Wonder if BMW is purposely building the 135i for the masses, so the enthusiasts have to pay more for the Tii (which may have a much more sporting cornering attitude)?
Unfortunately, I would probably say that this theory is more likely than the others. Im sure that once the 135i goes on sale there will be many people that will try and diagnose any handling problems and we can go from there. But I would really, really surprised that any problems could not be fixed with simple suspension changes. I can not believe that the 1 hatch can have sweat handling (granted, with a tad balance towards understeer but still easily capable of rotating) and the longer coupe plows through a corner like a 1980s Buick.

Regardless, for me, knowing that a tii would be coming (assuming BMW officials confirm it for US production), I can not see myself going to a BMW dealer and picking up a 135i. I'd kill myself for missing out on a tii. :roundel:
      11-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #24
imported_NoelSmart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The thing has 300 ft/lbs of torque... push the pedal harder, that back end will come out just fine. If it really is a problem, I'm sure the after market suspension companies will just put some stiffer springs in the back on their setups, and offer a stiffer sway. You'll be spinning in circles.
      11-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #25
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Or just lift off mid-corner and reapply. Put some new tires on and make a few adjustments to the suspension and I bet you can change the understeer tendency.

Remember for your average buyer understeer is safer as you get the "Oh shit" moment you just reduce throttle as opposed to oversteer where you have to apply opposite lock and throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #26
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Remember for your average buyer understeer is safer as you get the "Oh shit" moment you just reduce throttle as opposed to oversteer where you have to apply opposite lock and throttle.
Don't forget to pack a clean pair of shorts, kids; you won't want to wear the soiled pair home!!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #27
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I am not worried about the understeer, though I am unhappy that they dialed so much into the setup from the get go. Regardless, this car has an incredibly staggered tire fitment, 215/245? Fix that problem with new tires and wheels (kind of expensive) of a more equal fitment or install a thicker rear sway bar and you should be good to go. I think BMW was a bit too worried about younger/inexperienced people wrecking their fast 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #28
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I wonder if the testers are turning off all the driving aids...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #29
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightohio View Post
From what I understand, you only get idrive if you get nav.

Yeah, his phrasing was little confusing, but the jist of it is that he would not personally order NAV, because then you get iDrive. Meaning that you do not get iDrive without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
Crashspeeder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 TiAg M3

I don't know about most of you but I can't say I've pushed my 325 to any sort of limits like any of these testers may have. I'm a spirited 21 year old driver. I play with my car on occasion but I think I only push it in one direction at a time, which is to say I either go balls out full speed or I take it around corners in a fun fashion but never both. I'm not a racecar driver and know I've got limitations.

How many of you are actually going to take your expectations of any other car you may have driven and apply them to the 135? Hopefully none. I expect you'll learn to drive the 135 and accept its limitations as a car or yours as a driver. Some of you may take it a step further and do something about the understeer (not that we even know HOW MUCH understeer there is yet) and modify it to be more to your liking.

I've always adapted to my car, mainly due to the fact that I don't have enough money to modify the car, but also because I don't track it or drive it hard enough to warrant spending money making it a better track car.

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0