BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #45
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
LOL...
Porsche builds race cars then sells them barebones to teams, ready to go. They support that whole clubsport mentality that made P-Cars synonomous with racing.

The Tii Concept follows the same trend..! Albeit not as fully fledged, but who knows, perhaps BMW is going that direction.
Dude, what's your point :iono:

That the Tii is like a barebones, purpose built Porsche race car?

Riiiiiiiight.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #46
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

I think I like the standard M front bumper on the 135i but ill definitely take those skirts!! overall this car is sweeeet! If it comes with a better engine than the single-turbo everybody is talking about then im sold for sure :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #47
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Surely cars such as the RS and GT3 are as much of a "full blown track car" as anyone on here needs? What more could you want, or need for that matter? I don't however think the Tii is as set up for the track as it may appear. Yes it has cf hood and bucket seats but why bother with all of the weight saving materials and such like when it's wheels are still wrapped with runflats? should it not have the same style slicks as the M3 CSL if it were to be anymore than a pimped up 135? This is just an amatures point of view so maybe i'm just talking shit? The cosmetic changes do look cool though, apart from the cf and stripes which are just a bit too much for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #48
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
I think I like the standard M front bumper on the 135i but ill definitely take those skirts!! overall this car is sweeeet! If it comes with a better engine than the single-turbo everybody is talking about then im sold for sure :biggrin:
What single-turbo engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #49
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123d View Post
What single-turbo engine?
I think he's referring to the turbo-charged 4 cylinder option that was mentioned as a possibilty in one of the reports

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #50
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Surely cars such as the RS and GT3 are as much of a "full blown track car" as anyone on here needs? What more could you want, or need for that matter?
Definitely not disagreeing with you there, however, they're still not "full blown track cars".

Can you take them to lapping days and even mild SCCA events? Sure.

Can they be driven on the street? Yes.

That fact alone means they're not "full blown track cars".
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #51
Dinos120ci
Private
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #52
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosteeley View Post
Dude, what's your point :iono:

That the Tii is like a barebones, purpose built Porsche race car?

Riiiiiiiight.

LOL...

Yes, how can you miss that. Did you happen to READ the press release..?

When a manufacturing giant such as BMW releases a car or a concept, they are showing the rest of the wrold their products, the TEXt they release along with that car isn't a lie or fluff. Its the design and direction they want to go with that product..!

Here let me elighten you:
  • Design study based on the BMW 1 Series Coupé with an uncompromising focus on motorsport.
  • Implementation of specific requirements for motorsport ensured through the design of the car.
  • Design study following the tradition of BMW’s compact, light and extremely sporting coupés. The characteristic features of models particularly successful in motorsport have gone straight into BMW Concept 1 Series tii.
  • BMW Concept 1 Series tii underlines the extremely sporting potential and the youthful, temperamental character of the BMW 1 Series. The design study raises the focus on pure driving pleasure already associated with the BMW 1 Series Coupé to an even higher standard.
That is in the first paragraph of their press release... you starting to get the idea..?

BTW do you see the opening in the front facia for the tow hook..? Hmmm wonder if thats ment for racing..? 5-point harness seating...?

BMW hasn't released the chasis or engine spec, but that is the second design phase and I am sure it will not dissapoint!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #53
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

^^Guessing either tow hook or camera.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #54
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

it's gotta toe hook. Must be a race car!

So it's a bare-bones race car because BMW SAYS it's used some cues from motorsport? Are you really that gullible?

You show me where they say it's non street-legal and for sale only to certified race teams and I might agree with you
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #55
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Race Car

A BMW Race Car

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #56
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
it's gotta toe hook. Must be a race car!

So it's a bare-bones race car because BMW SAYS it's used some cues from motorsport? Are you really that gullible?

You show me where they say it's non street-legal and for sale only to certified race teams and I might agree with you

Lol..

Listen, it's a design concept. BMW is definatly going after the clubsport mentality with this car. Your definition of race car is bording on INDY/LaMans.

Offcoarse, the appeal to this new concept is streetability so there is obviously some compromise to be had, but I was giving you the benifit of the doubt in understanding this.

Since you so staunch and hardline about what a racing car is... how many Production cars are race cars..? Hunh...? You know the context in which I say "race car", your just trying to backpedal out using a symantical argeument.

The 135Tii is squarly aimed at Motorsports. The outward styling cue give this away, but would be nothing but cosmetic unless BMW further the concept with a proper chasis and engine.... which coincidentally we will see when the second phase of this concept.

What is YOUR argument..? That the Tii concept is just a different trim..? With absolutly no engineering or functional changes..?

Riiiight!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #57
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Garrett yes you can by a Formula 1 car. By yes I mean there are people who have done it, you just have to have the money for it. Ferrari Clienti program check it out. Better yet let me find you a video of some '0x and earlier F1 cars being driven. Can't find the one from here in the states but it was amazing.

GT3 is still not a full-blown race car!

**WARNING VIDEO MIGHT CAUSE ERECTION**

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #58
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Do you guys just argue for the sake of arguing? It is still a concept...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #59
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #60
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
Garrett yes you can by a Formula 1 car. By yes I mean there are people who have done it, you just have to have the money for it. Ferrari Clienti program check it out. Better yet let me find you a video of some '0x F1 cars being driven here in the states.

GT3 is still not a full-blown race car!

LOL..

Offcoarse you can. But your not going racing with it. It becomes a piece of nostalgia. F1 cars arn't bought off a pruduction line or made for you by just writting million dollar cheque.

Formula1 is alone in it's pedegree.. and yes, I agree anything else is not a true motorsport. I love F1

The are various venues of Motosport. People race their pruduction cars every day, Some modified, some stock... but the Tii concept is squarly aimed at Motorsports. Wether it's Track, Autocross, SCCA, Trans-Am Series...etc.

There are many classifications and governing bodies, and to ignorantly call one form of racing over another one, as only a "race car" as Toosteely has argued is non-sense.

The Iceman pulled it off... Grats Kimi!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #61
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Nice drop and wheels.

The rest is tacky. Maybe that's what the "t" in "tii" stands for?

And now we have Garrett talking about BMW challenging the 911 with a cosmetic package? Cluelessness marches on...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #62
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
That the Tii concept is just a different trim..? With absolutly no engineering or functional changes..?-Garrett
Finally! Signs of brain function. That's exactly what it is Garrett. Dig deep in that noggin. There's something in there. You're starting to get a clue. Keep going...!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #63
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Are you really that gullible?
From all past evidence, I would say that he certainly is, or he's just pulling our leg. But it persists. So it's either gullibility or he's 14 years old, or both.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #64
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Do you guys just argue for the sake of arguing? It is still a concept...
NO IT'S NOT!

(kidding, kidding..)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #65
MontegoTwinTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6mt

wow... I want everything in this car on my 135i (minus all the stickers). Looks sick. Realistically if this car comes out I'm gonna look into the wheels and seats, possibly even the gauge cluster to swap into my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #66
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegotwinturbo View Post
wow... I want everything in this car on my 135i (minus all the stickers). Looks sick. Realistically if this car comes out I'm gonna look into the wheels and seats, possibly even the gauge cluster to swap into my 135i.
Love those wheels as well;
It's just too bad that they aren't forged.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0