BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #67
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
LOL..
The are various venues of Motosport. People race their pruduction cars every day, Some modified, some stock... but the Tii concept is squarly aimed at Motorsports. Wether it's Track, Autocross, SCCA, Trans-Am Series...etc.

There are many classifications and governing bodies, and to ignorantly call one form of racing over another one, as only a "race car" as Toosteely has argued is non-sense.

-Garrett
Sorry, who's backpedaling?

I've been very firm in my argument that you can't call a production car a " Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" as you have. However, you're now saying it's "squarly aimed at Motorsports".

I can agree with you in the latter, and if that was your position (and wording) in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I've participated in many of the motorsports you've listed, but that doesn't make either my S2k or wagon race cars. They are, as you said, production cars I choose to take to the track. The Tii is no different.

See dna550's post for what a " Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" is.

You made the statement, it was obviously incorrect. I'm merely pointing that out. I think I'm justified in my "symantical argeument" :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #68
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Is it just me or do these lights have a different surround than the standard lights. They seem to have a black surround as oppose to the silver? might just look different because of the contrast against the white? could just be wishfull thinking?! :iono:

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #69
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosteeley View Post
Sorry, who's backpedaling?

I've been very firm in my argument that you can't call a production car a " Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" as you have. However, you're now saying it's "squarly aimed at Motorsports".

I can agree with you in the latter, and if that was your position (and wording) in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I've participated in many of the motorsports you've listed, but that doesn't make either my S2k or wagon race cars. They are, as you said, production cars I choose to take to the track. The Tii is no different.

See dna550's post for what a " Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" is.

You made the statement, it was obviously incorrect. I'm merely pointing that out. I think I'm justified in my "symantical argeument" :wink:

Dude, you KNEW the context in which I suggested "Racecar", because we both know it had no roll cage and no fire extinguisher, etc on board.

You just chose to jump me for suggesting the Tii's premis was for "racing", which is identicle in meaning as "motorsports"

Yes, the Tii concept was "nill luxury" and offered with just as much as the Porsche built racing car the 911 GT3 ..! They are similiar in concept and purpose.

You tried to extrapolate that into meaning the BMW Tii was in no way an Nascar/Indy/LaMans "true" racecar. But you knew full well, what my reference was.

So yes, I still stand by my previous statements, but somehow you've backed out enough to accept that the BMW 135tii is squarly aimed at motorsports..!

Great! Glad you agree with me.

Have a nice day!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #70
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
Is it just me or do these lights have a different surround than the standard lights. They seem to have a black surround as oppose to the silver? might just look different because of the contrast against the white? could just be wishfull thinking?! :iono:
You are correct, they're definitely black.
      10-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #71
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you KNEW the context in which I suggested "Racecar", because we both know it had no roll cage and no fire extinguisher, etc on board.

You just chose to jump me for suggesting the Tii's premis was for "racing", which is identicle in meaning as "motorsports"

Yes, the Tii concept was "nill luxury" and offered with just as much as the Porsche built racing car the 911 GT3 ..! They are similiar in concept and purpose.

You tried to extrapolate that into meaning the BMW Tii was in no way an Nascar/Indy/LaMans "true" racecar. But you knew full well, what my reference was.

So yes, I still stand by my previous statements, but somehow you've backed out enough to accept that the BMW 135tii is squarly aimed at motorsports..!

Great! Glad you agree with me.

Have a nice day!
Buddy, are you reading ANYTHING I'm posting!?

I wasn't jumping on you for saying it's a "racecar". I'm jumping on you for saying it's "Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" because that's BS.

Now you're comparing it to a 911 GT3!?

What's wrong with you man?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #72
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
You are correct, they're definitely black.
and they look effin sick. wish you could get rid of that big white side part though
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #73
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
and they look effin sick. wish you could get rid of that big white side part though
Definately the first mod i will be doing, a massive improvement from the bug eyed look!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #74
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Buddy, are you reading ANYTHING I'm posting!?

I wasn't jumping on you for saying it's a "racecar". I'm jumping on you for saying it's "Nil luxury, pure performance....race-car...!" because that's BS.

Now you're comparing it to a 911 GT3!?

What's wrong with you man?

I compared it to the 911 GT3 awhile back in this thread... I suggested that BMW is going to support the 1 series as a clubsport style car.

Yes, the Tii concept is similiar to the Porsche GT3 concept of no-frills, stripped (as much as Porsche or BMW can be) offering the bare essentials, the closet thing you can get to a racecar, but still buyable.

Slap a few stickers on it and your off to the race..!

Look, we already know that aftermarket tuners have the 335i doing 0-60mph in around 4 seconds. Now, if you take a normal 135i, it should even be quicker.

So, if the Tii concept has a CF floorboard, Hood and other lightweight components, it's probably 150~ 200lbs lighter than the typical 135i. Putting it somewhere near 3,000lbs ~3,100lbs.

Thats a pretty respectable weight and depending on how serious or in-depth BMW goes with this concept they may tweak the venreble N54 then you have a power to weight advantage equal to that of the GT3.

Now, that won't put the little BMW it in the same classification as the Porsche GT3 and that wasn't what I'm implying, but you do understand where BMW can go with this Clubsport style of car. I was suggesting that they can offer their version of a GT3 style car... for cheap!

What remains to be seen is the type of chasis and the level of suspension tunning they will persue. It wouldn't take much to make the 135i a superb handling car, given that the 335i can play with Vette's in that areana. Imagine if they go with CF suspension components.. (wish)

All I am saying is that the BMW 135tii concept doesn't dissapoint and it shows that BMW is pretty darn serious about Motorsporting again. So why not creat a sub-culture of "One'rs" hitting the tracks every weekend..? With support and offering upgrades and performance stages..?

I do think that if the Tii is built, it's direct competetor would be something like the Vette or the Cayman. Albeit, for $10k less.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #75
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

All I am saying is that the BMW 135tii concept doesn't dissapoint and it shows that BMW is pretty darn serious about Motorsporting again. So why not creat a sub-culture of "One'rs" hitting the tracks every weekend..? With support and offering upgrades and performance stages..?
I completely agree with you here, Garrett.

When it comes right down to it, I'd love to get my hands on a Tii and hit the track.

Here's hoping it goes into production
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #76
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree with you here, Garrett.

When it comes right down to it, I'd love to get my hands on a Tii and hit the track.

Here's hoping it goes into production

Yeah!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #77
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

any idea on the style of the rims yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #78
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:
The BMW Tii design concept is a full blown race car. The design concept centers squarly around motorsport..!
The first sentence is a joke.

Second one is a lot more accurate.

{Edit:]Wow... I just read through Garrett and toosteely's argument and want to slam my head into something. toosteely i don't know how you were so patient with this guy or why you even continued to bother trying to make him realize he's got no idea what he's talking about.

First off, it's Le Mans.

Secondly.... NO. This is not a "full blown race car". We have a 2002tii "full blown race car" and it's a far cry from this concept. The main differences being: Not street legal, slicks, no interior, roll bar, 5-pt harness, net, ignition(someone posted a picture of a full race car), high octane fuel, etc.

Being "Squarely aimed at motorsport" and being a full race car are not the same thing. End of discussion. I don't care what context you think justifies it.
Appreciate 0