BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
theVUmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still Waiting

Talking 135i + Logitech G25 + GT5 Prologue

Been a big fan for the N54 line. So here's my first post on this forum.

Here's a nice vid that you guys ought to be able to enjoy. I'm downloading this game right now just to see how the 135i will do.

Just for kicks and giggles.

P.S. this demo rocks. The GT-R, EVO X, IS-F, are all in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54YO View Post

Here's a nice vid that you guys ought to be able to enjoy. I'm downloading this game right now just to see how the 135i will do.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

:roundel: Happy happy, joy joy!!:roundel:
      10-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54YO View Post

Wonder whats better GT5 or Forza ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Quote:
Wonder whats better GT5 or Forza ?
Oh man you should do some Google'n. GT5 is better than everything, even refrigeration. Do you understand what I am saying to you? After GT5 comes out, we will no longer need supermarkets. They simply won't exist.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Oh man you should do some Google'n. GT5 is better than everything, even refrigeration. Do you understand what I am saying to you? After GT5 comes out, we will no longer need supermarkets. They simply won't exist.
It's about time... I'm getting sick of the big white box in my kitchen. Will a PS3 with GT5 be able to make a good Oktoberfest or a nice cask-conditioned bitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Your gaming setup is off the charts. I love how you were doing heel toe on a gamepad that is awesome. Is GT5 really that advance?
      10-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
bats
Chilly Willy.
Rep
Drives:

Ahhh G25!!! So cool...That is an expensive setup right there
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Your gaming setup is off the charts. I love how you were doing heel toe on a gamepad that is awesome. Is GT5 really that advance?
I'm curious what happens if you don't use the clutch, or if you don't rev-match on the down shift. Hell, why even bother lifting on upshifts? It's not like you're worried about tearing the drivetrain up!

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
theVUmaster
United_States
Rep

Haha, what a setup right? Unfortunately, I do not have this setup just yet, I found this vid when I was surfing the net.

I am setting up a similar setup soon however. I got a chance to tried out the G25 w/ GT5 and it was great. GREAT feedback and the clutch, gas, brake pedals all have different amount of pressure through them.

By the way, the IS-F isn't as fun to toss around as the 135
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
BlingBling2
Rep
Drives:

I belive GT5 has Top Gear channel in the game that updates every now and then. So you can watch their clips then chalange the time using the same car and the same course in the game!!! Is that SWEET or what?
      10-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
pxd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling View Post
I belive GT5 has Top Gear channel in the game that updates every now and then. So you can watch their clips then chalange the time using the same car and the same course in the game!!! Isn't that SWEET or what?
Yes, it's awesome.
The TopGear track will also be added and the Stig will be also available as the driver, but I'm not sure how that's going to do anything.
Man I want those PS3s.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
BlingBling2
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Man I want those PS3s.
Not trying to sell things here but they are dropping the price to $399.99 for a 40gb. Just in time for x'mas.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/827/827856p1.html
      10-31-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
Sigma
Rep
Drives:

Here's my gaming setup:

Playseat Evolution chair, 27" 1080i LCD, 5.1 surround (rear speaker stands not on in the above photo, sub is actually under the chair within the structure), ButtKicker bass-shaker, and all the accoutrement a modern car needs (automotive-grade carpeting, armrest storage, cupholder, etc). My wife's small stature (just 5') doesn't really give a good impression of the behemoth this thing became (initial plans weren't quite so grandiose). It's quite large, measuring 68x36x60, and is modular so that it can fit through doors and because otherwise its' sheer weight makes it damn near immovable.

The cockpit/cabinet itself really wasn't all that expensive to build. There's probably less than $200 in lumber involved. Here's the main frame of the bottom structure (about 80% done), it's the only dimensional lumber in it: http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/Cockpit001.jpg And here's an idea of the MDF construction which makes up 90% of the structure: http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/Cockpit002.jpg The 360 goes up near the top where you'd find the AC/Radio on the console in your car. The two large holes up there are for 2 x 250cm cooling fans which keep the 360's area well-ventilated. Combine the relatively low material cost of the cockpit with a refurbished LCD (just $250) and an Ebay'd home theatre system with all important optical-input (just $15), and the whole thing didn't cost that much. All told, with the seat and everything except the 360, you're looking at somewhere in the range of $800-900 maybe.

It's setup for Forza 2 on the 360. But once GT5 comes out (the real thing, not the glorified demo) I'll throw the PS3 on it with a G25 setup. I'm not going to through the trouble for the demo.

I designed the cockpit with The G25 in mind including an appropriate location on the right side to mount the shifter, with wiring holes already built in. It was also designed to switch between the two quickly and easily (custom steering wheel mount augmented with plain' ol zip ties just-in-case), but is slightly more trouble than its' worth for just the Prologue demo.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:55 AM   #16
theVUmaster
United_States
Rep

WOW...just WOW...:wub:

P.S. your dog looks like an alien. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:24 AM   #17
twiget
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Here's my gaming setup:

Playseat Evolution chair, 27" 1080i LCD, 5.1 surround (rear speaker stands not on in the above photo, sub is actually under the chair within the structure), ButtKicker bass-shaker, and all the accoutrement a modern car needs (automotive-grade carpeting, armrest storage, cupholder, etc). My wife's small stature (just 5') doesn't really give a good impression of the behemoth this thing became (initial plans weren't quite so grandiose). It's quite large, measuring 68x36x60, and is modular so that it can fit through doors and because otherwise its' sheer weight makes it damn near immovable.

The cockpit/cabinet itself really wasn't all that expensive to build. There's probably less than $200 in lumber involved. Here's the main frame of the bottom structure (about 80% done), it's the only dimensional lumber in it: http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/Cockpit001.jpg And here's an idea of the MDF construction which makes up 90% of the structure: http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/Cockpit002.jpg The 360 goes up near the top where you'd find the AC/Radio on the console in your car. The two large holes up there are for 2 x 250cm cooling fans which keep the 360's area well-ventilated. Combine the relatively low material cost of the cockpit with a refurbished LCD (just $250) and an Ebay'd home theatre system with all important optical-input (just $15), and the whole thing didn't cost that much. All told, with the seat and everything except the 360, you're looking at somewhere in the range of $800-900 maybe.

It's setup for Forza 2 on the 360. But once GT5 comes out (the real thing, not the glorified demo) I'll throw the PS3 on it with a G25 setup. I'm not going to through the trouble for the demo.

I designed the cockpit with The G25 in mind including an appropriate location on the right side to mount the shifter, with wiring holes already built in. It was also designed to switch between the two quickly and easily (custom steering wheel mount augmented with plain' ol zip ties just-in-case), but is slightly more trouble than its' worth for just the Prologue demo.
That is an awesome set-up you have. I've been using the G25 pretty much since they came out, mostly for my PC, the Need for Speed series and ToCA Race Driver 3 mostly. I would love to have a set-up like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Here's my gaming setup:

insane... Must read up on DIY for that
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
I've been using the G25 pretty much since they came out, mostly for my PC, the Need for Speed series and ToCA Race Driver 3 mostly. I would love to have a set-up like that.
Anyone with a PC/G25 combo should go beyond NFS and TOCA to experience some real driving/racing with rFactor and GTR2, and the upcoming Race07. TOCA and NFS games are fun but they are totally arcadey and don't provide the satisfaction of the better simulations.

rFactor is great as it has such a HUGE modding community - I have about 50 car series mods and 100+ tracks in my install by now. (It's going to a PITA moving it to a new build this winter!) There is a very good 1-series rFactor mod from Europe that runs the hatches - hopefully it will be updated with the coupe body soon.

Also download the free M3 demo game built on the Race07 engine that BMW is distributing - the sound of the new V8 M3 engine alone is intoxicating....

As for the setup above - neat! But I still prefer a high end CRT as the smearing LCDs produce drives me nuts. Try a 22" Mitsu 2070B at 1880X1400, 4X AA, 4X AF, 85Hz refresh, at 100fps - movement is just much more realistic looking than on any LCD monitor or TV....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #20
Slimjim8201
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 - 6MT YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Anyone with a PC/G25 combo should go beyond NFS and TOCA to experience some real driving/racing with rFactor and GTR2, and the upcoming Race07. TOCA and NFS games are fun but they are totally arcadey and don't provide the satisfaction of the better simulations.

rFactor is great as it has such a HUGE modding community - I have about 50 car series mods and 100+ tracks in my install by now. (It's going to a PITA moving it to a new build this winter!) There is a very good 1-series rFactor mod from Europe that runs the hatches - hopefully it will be updated with the coupe body soon.

Also download the free M3 demo game built on the Race07 engine that BMW is distributing - the sound of the new V8 M3 engine alone is intoxicating....
And once you get a hang of M3 Challenge, rFactor, and GTR2, you should step up to the big dog, Live for Speed. What LFS lacks in modding capabilities it makes up for with a driving simulation that makes rFactor look like Pole Position. It makes good rFactor drivers look ham-fisted
      10-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjim8201 View Post
And once you get a hang of M3 Challenge, rFactor, and GTR2, you should step up to the big dog, Live for Speed. What LFS lacks in modding capabilities it makes up for with a driving simulation that makes rFactor look like Pole Position. It makes good rFactor drivers look ham-fisted
Well to each his own, but most would disagree that LFS is the "big dog". I've tried LFS and wasn't very impressed by its physics models - but I haven't looked at it in awhile. It is a niche product to say the least. One big negative for some is the fact that the cars in the game are non-branded generics (obviously due to licensing issues). In rFactor, a plethora of real-life touring and racing cars are modelled from a wide range of series and manufacturers, and these are often tuned using feedback from racers who have driven these cars on track, so as to maximize the sim's realism.

rFactor's realism has recently taken a quantum leap forward with the release of the realFeel FFB steering mod, which provides an incredibly realistic feel with a G25 over a wide range of car types and tracks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
Sigma
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
As for the setup above - neat! But I still prefer a high end CRT as the smearing LCDs produce drives me nuts. Try a 22" Mitsu 2070B at 1880X1400, 4X AA, 4X AF, 85Hz refresh, at 100fps - movement is just much more realistic looking than on any LCD monitor or TV....
I agree with you that a CRT would be better -- but would also weigh a friggin' ton. I also find that, sitting as close as I do, I much prefer an LCD to a CRT. They don't seem nearly as harsh and straining on the eyes.

And, since LCD monitors dropped below 10ms refresh rates, I find ghosting/smearing to be almost completely a thing of the past. I'm a hardcore PC gamer (C2D E6600, 680i SLI, 4GB DDR-1200, 8800GTS) and after holding out for many years, my last system build I finally went to a 22" 5ms LCD. I've experienced absolutely no artifacts at all on any type of gaming. I still believe that colors seem to be a little richer and warmer on a CRT however.
Appreciate 0