BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #23
Slimjim8201
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 - 6MT YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Well to each his own, but most would disagree that LFS is the "big dog". I've tried LFS and wasn't very impressed by its physics models - but I haven't looked at it in awhile. It is a niche product to say the least. One big negative for some is the fact that the cars in the game are non-branded generics (obviously due to licensing issues). In rFactor, a plethora of real-life touring and racing cars are modelled from a wide range of series and manufacturers, and these are often tuned using feedback from racers who have driven these cars on track, so as to maximize the sim's realism.

rFactor's realism has recently taken a quantum leap forward with the release of the realFeel FFB steering mod, which provides an incredibly realistic feel with a G25 over a wide range of car types and tracks.
LFS certainly doesn't have the market like rFactor does. Without lots of development money for licensing, its really not an option. The visuals aren't the best, particularly considering that all but one car model is ficticious and all of the tracks are not real. But the driving experience is just sublime. It's the first game to have a better "feel" than GPL. I was a long time fan of the F1C series and then rFactor, but once I played LFS, i just don't think I can ever go back. I was particularly dissapointed with the new M3 Challenge demo. It's so unrealistic, its appalling. Great visuals and sounds are one thing, but I'd give all of that away for a great driving experience. Hell, if the car models are blocks and the tracks just flat textures, and the physics model was perfect, I'd play that over anything anyday.

If you haven't given LFS a whirl in the past 6 months or so, definitely do so. There have been a number of tire physics improvements that have really changed the feel of the game. LFS S3 should be out soon as well. It's really crazy that all of the developing is being performed by just ONE guy...
      11-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #24
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
since LCD monitors dropped below 10ms refresh rates, I find ghosting/smearing to be almost completely a thing of the past. I'm a hardcore PC gamer (C2D E6600, 680i SLI, 4GB DDR-1200, 8800GTS) and after holding out for many years, my last system build I finally went to a 22" 5ms LCD. I've experienced absolutely no artifacts at all on any type of gaming. I still believe that colors seem to be a little richer and warmer on a CRT however.
People differ widely in their preceptual thresholds when it comes to smearing and frame rates. I find the lack of smoothness on even a 5ms refresh LCD too irritating to live with for driving sims and other games. It's not a question of the 5ms causing smearing - it could be 0 ms and the monitor would still bother me since it can go no faster than 60 frames per second no matter how fast your video card is. A high end CRT can do 100 to 120 fps depending on its resolution setting. I find I need a minimum of 85 fps for smooth transitions going around corners etc. I actually prefer 100 fps and can tell the difference. It's the same reason I don't enjoy movies when there is any significant motion in the frame - due to movie's 24 fps standard I perceive the motion as jittery and jumpy.

I love the sharpness of the latest LCDs for still images though, and their new formats - I wish I could get a 30" widescreen CRT! Eventually there will be 120 Hz LCD monitors out - the TVs are out now - and that might convert me.

The colour richness of CRTs that you note is a function of the fact that a good CRT still produces more of the color gamut (range) than all but the most expensive professional - level LCDs from companies like Eizo Nanao...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
If you haven't given LFS a whirl in the past 6 months or so, definitely do so. There have been a number of tire physics improvements that have really changed the feel of the game.
I downloaded the latest demo yesterday and did enjoy the improvements. There is a much better sense of weight transfer in cornering, and behaviour under braking is good. However I find the car scrubs off a little too much speed even when cornering on full throttle. And some of the recent revisions of rFactor mods are just as good if not better - try the new Mini and Porsche Carrera Cup 07 mods. Unfortunately LFS's force feedback realism is nowhere near that provided by RealFeel in rFactor, especially in those rFactor mods and on those tracks tuned to use it--there's just no road feel or vibration, little response to curb rumble strips and bumps, etc.

On the M3 simulation, when I first drove it I was shocked at how "bargey" it handled for what was supposed to be a near-track-ready car. But I stuck with it and found it to be entertaining, with very well controlled properties at the margin of grip which makes it easy to throttle steer and fun to drive. Keep in mind you can only drive it with the stock street factory setup as you have no setup options (other than using Bilstein shocks), which puts it at a big disadvantage vis-a-vis other sims.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #26
audisp0rta4
Rep
Drives: 05 Mazda Rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54YO View Post
Haha, what a setup right? Unfortunately, I do not have this setup just yet, I found this vid when I was surfing the net.

I am setting up a similar setup soon however. I got a chance to tried out the G25 w/ GT5 and it was great. GREAT feedback and the clutch, gas, brake pedals all have different amount of pressure through them.

By the way, the IS-F isn't as fun to toss around as the 135
I got to drive the 135i on GT5 at SEMA last week but I'm pretty sure it wasn't on a G25! The G25 looks awesome. I'm absolutely terrible at video games but the steering wheels they had us using had some real weird force feedback. It was like the car had a broken control arm or something! The wheel would literally whip back and forth just going down a straightaway!

The 135i was fun on the track.....felt very quick. Didn't drive an IS-F on GT5, but based on the real IS-F I drove, I'd take a 135i any day of the week! The IS-F is fast and stable, but doesn't feel like a sports car around corners. It just feels really smart!
89 Nissan 240sx (sr20det) -sold
03 Ninja ZX6R 636
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 01:21 AM   #27
remy117
Wankelryoku
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Wonder whats better GT5 or Forza ?
comparing those two is like comparing a toyota with a hyundai.

They're both good games but GT has its roots on being "the ultimate driving simulator" dating way back from ps... back then, the game was so well done, crappy graphics didnt even matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #28
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy117 View Post
comparing those two is like comparing a toyota with a hyundai.

They're both good games but GT has its roots on being "the ultimate driving simulator" dating way back from ps... back then, the game was so well done, crappy graphics didnt even matter.

tell me about it. I didn't even understand Japanese and I still played the imported version before the US version was released.
Appreciate 0