BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
brad24
Rep
Drives: 09 SG 135i

New owner intro and a few questions

Hello all, I'm new here and just wanted to give a quick intro and ask a few questions. I just bought an 09 SG 135i M-Sport 6sp with black interior and absolutely love it so far. I traded my 01 Z28 Camaro in on it and needless to say the upgrade in refinement was hugely substantial. The car currently has only a DCI (doesn't seem to have been tuned before although I can't be sure). I plan to add a JB4, DP's, charge pipe, and BOV to start with possibly a FMIC in the future. I live in Atlanta, bought the car Friday afternoon and then had to fly out to Cali for the week Saturday morning for work, so I'm missing that twin turbo at this point and trying to learn while I'm away.

I have a few questions about the car; feel free to answer any that you have experience with or input on.

1. I wanted iDrive because the iDrive in my mom's late 2011 535i is awesome. I falsely assumed the 09 135i would have similar voice recognition, bluetooth streaming, and map capabilities. wrong, wrong, and more wrong. I've read conflicting information on this - how far can I upgrade my iDrive - to what model year's worth of standard features? 2011? 2012? 2014? will this cost me an arm and a leg at BMW? Basically just entering the addresses into the Nav was a huge pain the little I've gotten to play with it - I'd like to update my iDrive as far as reasonably possible.

2. I plan to take the car into BMW before 82k to have them check both the turbo's and the HPFP - I didn't hear any noticable wastegate rattle the little amount I drove it on friday, but is there something I can say or do to increase my chances of getting new snails for free before the warranty runs out?

3. Differing opinions on this and I've read a lot, but a lot of the older threads may be less relevant as those threads were written with less miles on the mods - is a JB4 map 5, DP, DCI, charge pipe, BOV a reliable, non-boom-boom daily driver? Or should I be concerned with that level of boost? What about with 30% E85? Everyone seems to be confident with those mods but just want to make sure I'm not asking for trouble.

4. Does anybody have the SWS-8 subs with the factory Logic 7 / top hi-fi amp? Is the improvement worth it or would I want a new amp as well?

Sorry if that ^ constitutes a question overload haha.

Happy to be a member of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. It's not question overload, but much of what you have questions about can be found by doing a few searches on here. I don't have a JB4, so I won't comment on the reliability of the car on map5 - but I would recommend you get as much in the way of supporting mods as you can before you increase boost, Read: FMIC.

Charge pipe is a good thing to get as the factory CP is prone to error. DCI and BOV are considered by many to be fashion mods on these engines, but nevertheless almost everyone has an aftermarket intake or filter.

You would find more responses in the Modifications section of the forums when it comes to this type of stuff. There are also subforums for Audio, in which you might find more attention for your iDrive and stereo questions.

With regards to the turbos, if your turbos are asymptomatic then your dealership probably won't replace them. You need to have issues either with loud wastegate rattle or considerable loss of boost pressure for them to be considered failing. Again, a simple search on these forums will get you all the answers you need. Happy driving and enjoy your car.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
brad24
Rep

Thanks! Yeah I've been lurking BMW forums for a while - I've read a ton of threads on JB4, Procede, Cobb etc, just hadn't seen anything too recent as to how people's 35's are holding up over the long term with these mods. I was going to post the audio / iDrive stuff in the subforum but the idrive subforum seemed kind of dead and I didn't want to post 4 separate topics haha, my bad!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Welcome and congrats!!
      10-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
brad24
Rep

^ completely forgot to add this - I'll be buying a set of VMR's once I wear these tires out as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

In regards to #3 take a look at these threads. Couple users creeping up on 100k miles modded (and one probably at 200k by now)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936493
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877376

From what I've seen on the whole these are very reliable motors, minor things like hpfp/wastegate rattle/coil packs may creep up on you but I have yet to see anything major other than a few cases where people push the absolute limits and blow the motor. As long as you stick to a reasonable tune you should be fine.

Last edited by fcman; 10-21-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0