BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

On going transmission issue. Pls advise

I'm a firm believer that there's something wrong with my transmission. When I dont give the clutch and gas a good "balance" when moving forward in first car makes this awful noise. I can never seem to adapt to a good daily driving habit when driving normally or in a spirited fashion. I did notice since the flwheel and clutch were replaced that the rpms drop much faster. Therefore, making driving much harder for me.

After 2-3 months of driving the drivetrain started making noise and I have fought endlessly with the Service Manager on and off to do something about it. I've had to justify that the parts were OEM, and he still refused to do anything about it. I'm totally aware that the flywheel will make some noise, but the noise has gotten really bad over time and I'm ready to go in there and raise hell to the service advisor.

I paid a really good penny on the install and haven't been happy since.
BMWNA wont do shit and nor will the advisor. In the past he's given my car to the Foreman, and he swears he hears and feels nothing wrong, which is total BS. I'm aware the clutch engagement will travel overtime due to wear, but my clutch engagement point hasn't been normal since day 1. My clutch engagement point is very very low. Clutch and flywheel is only 2 years old and I dont expect it to be worn down much at all with my driving habits.

In January, I started going to a local BMW mechanic and I like him alot with some previous jobs I've had him do. However, he's very young and has alot to learn. He did suggest that I get the clutch fluid replaced, but I had that done when the CDV was modified a little over a year ago.

Should I get a second opinon at a transmission shop or go to the GM of the dealership? I have put forth alot of effort and time in the past trying to get some sort of help with this issue, but I'm at wit's end here. What do I do?

The following is any and all modifications to the drivetrain I've done in the past:

Transmission mount bushings e46 M3 or UUC
I did have the dealership install ECS's tranny rebuilt kit, but that only improved shift feel
Clutch fluid replaced while installing a modified CDV
I did have a UUC SSK installed for a short period of time then pulled
I did have the BMW short shifter installed a while ago as well but both short shift kits made car very very knotchy. So I had my factory shifter installed back.
Transmission oil Redline
Ebay Clutch stop. Does nothing because clutch stop discs are worn out.
Mechanic pulled out springs and clips from underneath the clutch pedal, but that didn't do much at all. If anything it made it easier to dis-engage and engage clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

What sort of noise does it make if you dont get the balance right? Have you got a video of it? Does it improve if you hold the gearstick in 1st and dont let go until you're in 2nd?

E46s would sometimes pop out of 1st if you let go of the knob and make a loud grinding noise by the time you release the pedal.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      07-01-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You would have to make a video with clear sound of the issue for people to give more than an uneducated guess. From your post description it could be anything.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      07-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Make a video and post it here in this thread.

Are you sure you have deleted the CDV ? I think I would just remove the short two inch restrictor line and [lug the hydraulic hoses together without the CDV.

IF you have a noise when your foot in holding down the clutch pedal... that its likely that your release bearing is messed up. Was that changed when you did your clutch? Also the bolt hardware for the clutch disc and pressure plate should have not been reused. Maybe one of the bolts has broken ? You might be able to have a mechanic to rotate the engine as he looks inside one of the clutch inspection holes.

I think in the end... your gonna need another shop to pull your trans and do an inspection of your clutch.

When the 135i came out... there were quite a few guys here with clutch failures. They seem to just go out all at once. A new clutch job was around $3.5K at the dealer from what I recall. Most were "good willed". I think you need a new mechanic/shop.

Dack
Appreciate 1
SixBanger186.50