BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

N54 - won't start after clearing codes

OK so a little background on the issue. The 1series hasn't been driven in ~6months due to an oil leak from my Dinan Oil cooler lines. Well I finally replaced them this weekend and leaks no more. I started the car on Saturday and warmed up the engine, but did not drive it since it was idling rough.

This evening I ran my Bavarian technic diagnostic tool to see what errors may be causing the rough idle. There were a few codes, but nothing that was currently present. Note I did not try and start the car prior to running the diagnostics, so this whole thing may just be a coincidence. So I cleared all error codes via the tool to reset things. I subsequently tried to turn the car on and nothing! The headlights are flickering and the wipers started going on with no way to shut off. Car key won't lock/unlock the car, window won't go down when the door is shut.

When the ignition was in accessory mode the AC would go on, but no radio. After trying several times now seems only thing coming on is headlights (halos) and wipers keep going.

Not sure if the battery conked out while running the diagnostics? Or if I jacked something up when clearing all fault codes. Anyone have any thoughts?
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport

Worn batteries make weird things on these cars...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So would you recommend I try and just jump it and if it doesn't work then look to replace the battery?
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

so random as all hell, but car started this AM. Maybe ECU just needed time to reset or something.... funky Beamers
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 | N52K | 6MT

Battery issue. I am surprised you got anything after letting it sit for six months, normally the battery is flat by that time.
The battery is always unde a 20-40mA current draw when off and everything is working properly. At some point, it will draw enough that the car won't be able to start.
Jump it, charge the battery and see how she holds a charge.
Wipers come on cause of a CAN bus voltage issue. All modules will act crazy weird when they car is below 10v and above 15.5v.
This all sounds completely normal to me for an aged battery or one that was heavily discharged.
Appreciate 0