BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
snowmirage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

? on insurance and Track Days

When I finally get the car in another year or so I see myself hitting the drag strip or a few track days maybe 4 or 5 times a year?

From my understanding non of your typical car insurance plans are going to cover anything that happens on a track. From what I have read some of them used to through a loop hole in the definition of racing (it wasn't "racing" if it wasn't timed) but that seems to have changed. And from what I can tell any "track day" insurance offered your looking at Thousands of dollars for what I would be doing with the car, maybe I'm wrong.

First off if I go and stuff my car into a wall then ok I can live with that its on me. What worries me, is if I am slowing down for a corner or something and some fool comes flying up behind me at 130 and destroys my car or worse yet I get injured. I wonder what happens then?

I am sure a lot of you track your cars now and then, again I'm not thinking of racing professionally or even hitting the track on a regular basis but, a few days here and there over the summer would be fun and I am wondering how you all handle it.

BTW I am in the US.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

NASA affiliates with ontrackinsurance.com. Thousands of dollars? Nah, for a two day event recently I paid 170 bucks. Haven't had to use it (and hopefully never will), so I can't comment on experiences with them fulfilling claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

BMW CCA has a discount with Locton Affinity (http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com), I believe the discount only applies for BMW CCA events.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

It just depends on the insurance company and your policy. Some have very specific language defining what a race track or high speed event are and don't cover it at all. Others will over you as long as it's not sanctioned racing. Others have amendments you can purchase to add coverage for track days. Your best best is read and review your policy and see what it says. If you want speak to your insurance company, but do not give them your policy number as they'll notate your account for future reference about racing which could lead to denied claims.
      05-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

EMRA also uses Locktonafinity .. http://hpdeinsuranceprogram.com/

BTW.. an auto-x is technically a "timed event" also and there have been cases where a driver lost control and hit a barrier / pole... regular insurance did not cover.
      05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
snowmirage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Well thanks for the info everyone, good to hear track insurance may not be as expensive as I had thought, guess I was just searching the wrong sources.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Love that . Thanks for the info. I'd been "self-insuring" with the e46 on track days, since it's paid for and not all that expensive to replace. Decided to look into insurance before taking the 135 to the track.