BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by octironSmith View Post
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. What did you do about the airbag warning lights and the seatbelt warning?
Absolutely nothing haha. If it had that annoying dong/gong, I probably would have done something. As it is now, it just has those lights on, so it doesn't bother me...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
how did it go at VIR?
      08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
how did it go at VIR?
It was great! Posted my fastest ever lap on the full course (2:15) and got promoted to A group! Felt even better when my instructor told me I was the first student he's ever given perfect scores to on the eval (and he's been racing and teaching for 25+ years!).

I had some problems with Harry's Lap timer where it didn't record some of my sessions (wondering if it might have gotten too hot and shut down?). However, I'm currently posting a video to youtube of my last session, which I used my flip to record. While it wont have any data overlay, I know from Harry's that all of the laps were 2:17 or 2:18 with the exception of the 1st and 5th laps, which had traffic. I'll post a link shortly!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
you should get yourself a gopro and record the events properly. 2:15 would be a great time! your mods are only bbk, rcomps and race pads?
      08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
you should get yourself a gopro and record the events properly. 2:15 would be a great time! your mods are only bbk, rcomps and race pads?
and:

vorshlag camber plates (around -2.7)
E93 roll bar
Berk Full race exhaust(midpipes and muffler delete, stock downpipes)
CP-e intercooler w/aux oil cooler

I have COBB, but I haven't used it at the track yet. Ill use the COBB at the track once I cant get my times down any more. My instructor said I was driving the car at 100% by the end of the weekend, so I think we're at that point haha. Might be back at VIR Sept 8/9 with Tarheel Sports Car Club or later in Sept with Rezoom motorsports, so we'll see what I can do with a nice power boost!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

As promised:

Also I have attached a PDF showing the G forces and speeds in each corner for the fast lap (2:15). Green indicates 0-.99Gs, Yellow is 1.0-1.04Gs, and Red is over 1.05Gs.

Also have attached pics of the timing and max/avg speed for the fast lap. I'd love to hit that virtual time of 2:14...
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf LapTimer 2.15 VIR Full.pdf (43.8 KB, 493 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
good driving! love how every M car was disposed. 2:15 is pretty solid. looking at your pdf and video it seems you could carry a bit more speed around T10 & T11 otherwise you're booking everywhere else. I've been at VIR only once and my times were no where near yours but I was clocking 43 mph for slow around T11. that was the only place I was faster than you. would love to get another crack at it next year.
Attached Images

Last edited by pixelblue; 08-27-2012 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #30
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Yeah I looked at my other laps and they are around 40-43mph. Im pretty sure this was the lap that I missed my downshift into 2nd. I just started doing that downshift this weekend per advice from my instructor. Now I can actually get the back out at Oak Tree!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #31
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I experimented with down shifting in 2nd gear around the oak tree but it seem to unsettle the car quite a bit. I would down shift in 2nd with an NA engine for sure but not with our cars massive low end torque. congrats on being the fastest 135 at VIR!
      08-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Hi Guys.
I am also interested in this. I like the BR Racing bolt in harness bar as well and am interested in reviews of it.

I contacted Brey-Krause if they have anything in the works for the E82 platform. I know they built one for a local E92 M3 and I heard they are making one for E92 335i.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
I experimented with down shifting in 2nd gear around the oak tree but it seem to unsettle the car quite a bit. I would down shift in 2nd with an NA engine for sure but not with our cars massive low end torque. congrats on being the fastest 135 at VIR!
Thanks! Can't wait to see what I can do with some good coilovers haha
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
Hi Guys.
I am also interested in this. I like the BR Racing bolt in harness bar as well and am interested in reviews of it.

I contacted Brey-Krause if they have anything in the works for the E82 platform. I know they built one for a local E92 M3 and I heard they are making one for E92 335i.
I'll get some pictures and try to give a detailed review by the end of the week
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
Thanks! Can't wait to see what I can do with some good coilovers haha
you should be able to drop into 2:14's with your current setup. take another 1-2 sec for running w cobb and another 1 sec for coilovers. 2:10's would be a seriously pro time. I have to come over and challenge your time
      08-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
you should be able to drop into 2:14's with your current setup. take another 1-2 sec for running w cobb and another 1 sec for coilovers. 2:10's would be a seriously pro time. I have to come over and challenge your time
I'm trying to go back Sept 8/9 with THSCC and the 21st with Rezoom if you dare

Also, if anyone is willing to sponsor me, im sure a APR carbon fiber rear wing could put me in the single digits
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
sounds like a challenge to me however we have to wait until next season. my sept is already planned. btw you will need a splitter to go along with that wing for balance and I don't mean those cosmetic stuff. maybe my next mod although a totally catless exhaust could be nice too. just found out my new county of residence does not require emissions inspection. can we say 80 lbs of weight loss to go along with 80hp bump (map 2)
      08-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #38
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
good driving! love how every M car was disposed.
Except for one
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Except for one
Haha, true. However, your DCT and extra 114hp might have helped

Last edited by bavarianstig; 08-30-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #40
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Finally got everything installed, just in time for VIR this weekend. High density foam arrives tomorrow for the bars.

Pics:
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #41
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haha, true. However, your DCT and extra 114hp might have helped
You were definitely the 2nd fastest guy out there in our group and only a few seconds behind me. We had the 991 that was fast as hell on Saturday but I didn't see him on Sunday, he probably got moved to A Group? There was one point in one of the earlier sessions on Saturday where everybody was still in the feeling out process and that VO 1M from Kentucky was still thinking he was hot shit and was holding me up bad. My instructor and I were saying WTF? I told my instructor if he thought his ego was going to be bruised, wait till he gets passed by the 135i behind me. We got a good laugh out of that. By Sunday though, he moved over with a quickness. Everybody did, except for that green Neon, thank god he blew his engine.

Here's the video after I pointed you by, wish the GoPro didn't crap out. That was a really fun session!

But the DCT is definitely a huge advantage, which is why I laugh every time I see those 6MT v. DCT threads. My instructor does weigh in at 250lbs so not much power advantage there and I thought you had more done to your engine by watching you on the straights. So you don't have a tune on it at all? Just intercooler?

My mods are AA Green Filter, AA Pulley, Akrapovic EVO exhaust (no tune, Delete-R to turn off CEL), Eibach Springs w/e36 M3 bumpstops, Performance Friction BBK in front on PF01 race pads and stock in back with Stoptech pads. The tires made the biggest difference in improving my times and they were Yokahoma ADVAN AD08s 255/275 mounted on OEM ZCP wheels. I ran 2:15s with Contisport 5Ps, and 2:17s with PS2s. I had PS2s on the first session on Saturday which was why I pointed the F10 M5 by but still managed to stay relatively close except the straights of course. I switched to the AD08s after that and the M5 never got up on me again.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #42
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
You were definitely the 2nd fastest guy out there in our group and only a few seconds behind me. We had the 991 that was fast as hell on Saturday but I didn't see him on Sunday, he probably got moved to A Group? There was one point in one of the earlier sessions on Saturday where everybody was still in the feeling out process and that VO 1M from Kentucky was still thinking he was hot shit and was holding me up bad. My instructor and I were saying WTF? I told my instructor if he thought his ego was going to be bruised, wait till he gets passed by the 135i behind me. We got a good laugh out of that. By Sunday though, he moved over with a quickness. Everybody did, except for that green Neon, thank god he blew his engine.

But the DCT is definitely a huge advantage, which is why I laugh every time I see those 6MT v. DCT threads. My instructor does weigh in at 250lbs so not much power advantage there and I thought you had more done to your engine by watching you on the straights. So you don't have a tune on it at all? Just intercooler?

My mods are AA Green Filter, AA Pulley, Akrapovic EVO exhaust (no tune, Delete-R to turn off CEL), Eibach Springs w/e36 M3 bumpstops, Performance Friction BBK in front on PF01 race pads and stock in back with Stoptech pads. The tires made the biggest difference in improving my times and they were Yokahoma ADVAN AD08s 255/275 mounted on OEM ZCP wheels. I ran 2:15s with Contisport 5Ps, and 2:17s with PS2s. I had PS2s on the first session on Saturday which was why I pointed the F10 M5 by but still managed to stay relatively close except the straights of course. I switched to the AD08s after that and the M5 never got up on me again.

I have a tune but only ran it for the last session of the weekend. Last 2 times I was at VIR I had to have her towed after the 1st session bc of a limp mode/misfire issue and I wasnt sure if the tune was at fault. 1st time was a VANOS failure, and turns out the 2nd was due to a filter getting clogged with some small metallic pieces from the VANOS failure. Luckily now I know the tune was never at fault.

Regardless, I wanted to max out my times with the car stock before I started adding any power. Now I'm just excited to see what she can do with a nice hp bump! Pretty sure I'm going to need some coilovers to make the best of the power at this point though. Wayyyy too soft right now.

And yes, that 1M was SLOW the first day. Pretty sure he was one of the people I lapped haha. Still not that fast on Sunday though... Must have been learning the track for the first time. Idk wtf that Neon was doing. He was not only slow, but also was all over the track doing some weird stuff. My instructor and I couldnt figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #43
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Except for one
saw your 2:13 lap. you were driving her hard! nice driving!
      08-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a tune but only ran it for the last session of the weekend. Last 2 times I was at VIR I had to have her towed after the 1st session bc of a limp mode/misfire issue and I wasnt sure if the tune was at fault. 1st time was a VANOS failure, and turns out the 2nd was due to a filter getting clogged with some small metallic pieces from the VANOS failure. Luckily now I know the tune was never at fault.

Regardless, I wanted to max out my times with the car stock before I started adding any power. Now I'm just excited to see what she can do with a nice hp bump! Pretty sure I'm going to need some coilovers to make the best of the power at this point though. Wayyyy too soft right now.

And yes, that 1M was SLOW the first day. Pretty sure he was one of the people I lapped haha. Still not that fast on Sunday though... Must have been learning the track for the first time. Idk wtf that Neon was doing. He was not only slow, but also was all over the track doing some weird stuff. My instructor and I couldnt figure it out.
Well, the car looked really strong on Saturday even without a tune. We'll link up next time and do the exercise together.

Quote:
saw your 2:13 lap. you were driving her hard! nice driving!
Thanks! She likes to be driven hard and put away wet.
Appreciate 0