BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I can understand not wanting to mod a car. Especially a special car like the 1M. It will be very are thing to find an unmolested car in a few years time. Part of what makes that special is that it was never unmolested - nothing taken apart,ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Again, you can change all of those things back with no harm done to the car, and they will be just as valuable as any other stock M1 then.
+ less wear and tear.
      11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Had my M3 since day 1 and in the process of finishing a CSL conversion. The 1M is not going anywhere and is getting just bolt on mods. Every owner has their own idea of what to do.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

My car will also be totally Unmolested in 10 years. By the way BMW built the 1M just for me you all knew that right

I waited 40 years for this car, no way I'm going to put aftermarket stuff on my car.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
My car will also be totally Unmolested in 10 years. By the way BMW built the 1M just for me you all knew that right

I waited 40 years for this car, no way I'm going to put aftermarket stuff on my car.
Sure you have a good point but I don't see upgrading my tires to PSS in stock size or putting a better exhaust which does not drone as molesting the car. So there really is a line which every owner defines himself. I only make the kind of stuff that I consider as "should come this way from factory" and doing that I use BMW parts if possible. Also changing badly designed stock units like the charge pipe is hardly molesting the car, that is strengthening the stock car as it is. I have zero intention for power hike or performance figures but lots of desire to make this car as reliable and responsive as possible and there are certain points that BMW got cheap during its design or just overlooked a potential problem.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Sure you have a good point but I don't see upgrading my tires to PSS in stock size or putting a better exhaust which does not drone as molesting the car. So there really is a line which every owner defines himself. I only make the kind of stuff that I consider as "should come this way from factory" and doing that I use BMW parts if possible. Also changing badly designed stock units like the charge pipe is hardly molesting the car, that is strengthening the stock car as it is. I have zero intention for power hike or performance figures but lots of desire to make this car as reliable and responsive as possible and there are certain points that BMW got cheap during its design or just overlooked a potential problem.
+1.

Some owners consider that they themselves and passengers are the only 'after market stuff' granted access to their V1.0 1M, while others upgrade to V.1.1, V1.2, V.1.3. etc. Only few go for V.2.0 makeovers: however, in my book, if that's your kinda thing, you'd better keep at bay, holding out for an M2 or M3.

To each his own, but let the 1M not molest you or your passengers.
      11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
I don't like where cars are going now. Yes I am a member of the "Flat Earth" society. I want only a manual tranny. I definitely don't want the sat/nav crap. I want utter old school simplicity in a car. A car you actually have to drive. I really think we will never have a car like the 1M again. The boat has set sail. I am fairly sure there never will be a car again I will desire more. I also own a 1967 Ferrari, and new ferraris don't interest me at all (no manual option).

My 1M is completely stripped. It has absolutely no mods. I will never sell. I will put about 10,000 miles a year on it. I have an E46 M3 for harsher use (snow, airports, running the kids around) to preserve the 1M. I plan on living 40 more years, so that will be 400,000 miles. With careful maintenance the 1M will make it.

Dan
Daniel, send me some Kool-Aid, I'll drink it!

Yes, I have also AW no options no fluff that I had to fight to get it that way!

It would've been easier to take a loaded one.

This car, I am certain, will be the last BMW ever made that is only offerred in a manual gearbox. Whatever new version comes out in the future, 1M....2M whatever will have all sorts of fluff on it and anyone with a pulse will be able to drive it. It will ask nothing of the driver but push the right pedal to go and the center one to stop.

This car on the other hand requires some commitment from the driver. It requires that you shift gears and work a clutch. It makes you live with one suspension setting....stiff. It instills a bit of danger in every ride with its crazy torque and desire to go sideways.

Driving the 1M is like riding a recently broken stallion. It will take you for a great ride but you have to careful you don't dig the spurs to deep or too often or it will throw you off! This element of risk and involvement is going away in cars and unfortunately BMW is leading the way with its gadgetry.

I can't wait for the next BMW gadget. It will probably some simulated heads up display that you are in some crazy loud and stiff throw-back car that will hurl you sideways if you don't treat it with respect! Of course it will never come close to the real thing which I have the privilege to fire up every morning. I am grateful for BMW making this machine and that I have been able to afford one. While kids are playing video games with crazy cool cars, I will actually be driving one for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

This car, I am certain, will be the last BMW ever made that is only offerred in a manual gearbox. Whatever new version comes out in the future, 1M....2M whatever will have all sorts of fluff on it and anyone with a pulse will be able to drive it. It will ask nothing of the driver but push the right pedal to go and the center one to stop.

This car on the other hand requires some commitment from the driver. It requires that you shift gears and work a clutch. It makes you live with one suspension setting....stiff. It instills a bit of danger in every ride with its crazy torque and desire to go sideways.

Driving the 1M is like riding a recently broken stallion. It will take you for a great ride but you have to careful you don't dig the spurs to deep or too often or it will throw you off! This element of risk and involvement is going away in cars and unfortunately BMW is leading the way with its gadgetry.

I can't wait for the next BMW gadget. It will probably some simulated heads up display that you are in some crazy loud and stiff throw-back car that will hurl you sideways if you don't treat it with respect! Of course it will never come close to the real thing which I have the privilege to fire up every morning. I am grateful for BMW making this machine and that I have been able to afford one. While kids are playing video games with crazy cool cars, I will actually be driving one for a long time.
Two beautiful posts, one from you and one from danielbreese

Little correction; there won't be any "center" pedal to stop soon, just right and left, of course both totally computer controlled, using your own foot will be optional
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I'm keeping the original air in my tires....

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the 1M being the last of the Raw, Manual Only Transmission M cars.

A new low for me from the M group is pumping fake Engine Sounds into the new F10 M5 Stereo. Really???
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0