E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aluminum Pedal install question

06-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Aluminum Pedals Installed

I am installing my BMW Aluminum Pedal set today (the one from their Accessory Catalog). I have a couple of questions.

I have an E90 and they supplied a replacement plastic gas pedal with the kit. Is it necessary to use this with the aluminum pedal, or can I mount the aluminum pedal right on top of the existing gas pedal that came with my car?

Also, when installing the dead-pedal, is it necessary to remove the existing plastic dead-pedal, or just install the aluminum piece right over the existing factory one? Anyone that had this installed can check by seeing if there is plastic around the edges of their aluminum dead pedal.

Thank you!

Last edited by CC 330i; 06-18-2005 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Ok, so I did the install and I will answer my own questions.

In the 330i you don't have to remove the gas pedal, you just have to put the new one on top of the gas pedal that is there. Discard the extra gas pedal they give you in the kit.

You do not remove the dead pedal when installing the kit either. It goes on top of the existing one.

One thing I found is that the screws for the gas pedal are so long that they hit the floor before the pedal is all the way down, so you have to file them down or you will not be able to get the accelerator all the way to the floor. It keeps you from flooring it by about 1/4 inch! Pretty lame in my opinion. I mounted it so that it was exactly flush with the gas pedal edges, which looks to be perfect. I was very disappointed that this factory kit caused me not to be able to get full throttle unless I filed down the screws!

This kit is pretty easy to install but you have to use care when drilling the holes, especially when doing the brake pedal. Since the brake pedal is steel, it is hard to drill. I didn't use the paper templates supplied with the kit. Instead I used masking tape over the pedals, then used the aluminum pedal as a template and marked the holes with a pen. Then I used a punch and made a dent in the plastic pedals before drilling. On the brake pedal, I clamped the aluminum pedal to the brake pedal and used it as a template for drilling because the drill wants to "walk" when you are making the hole. Get a carbide or cobalt drill bit, because this job will ruin a normal drill bit. (5/32 drill bit is what you need). It is critical that you get the holes in the right place the first time. I also found that a soup can under the brake pedal was about the right height to keep the brake pedal from depressing while I was drilling. Just don't drill into the soup!

The dead pedal kit uses 6 screws the go into the plastic of the dead pedal, so there is no nut behind it. You want to use a smaller drill bit on those so that the screws have some material left to hold on to.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Awesome. Thx for sharing. Sounds like a fairly simple DIY install! How's it look?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Thanks for the detailed write-up! I want to get the factory pedals, but now I'm considering the ACS version. Anyone have these installed yet? Similiar issues?

Danny
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

I'll try to post some pics this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Correct, the spare pedal is there because the same kit is used on old E46 models with different pedals, and that one needs to be changed

Did you use the 4 Shorter K4x10 screws for the accelerator ?

You should have gotten 12 of the longer ones ( bolts), but only have used 8 ( the other 4 is for the E46 ). And 4 shorter K4x10 screws for the E90 accelerator pedal ( these dont use a nut )
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Correct, the spare pedal is there because the same kit is used on old E46 models with different pedals, and that one needs to be changed

Did you use the 4 Shorter K4x10 screws for the accelerator ?

You should have gotten 12 of the longer ones ( bolts), but only have used 8 ( the other 4 is for the E46 ). And 4 shorter K4x10 screws for the E90 accelerator pedal ( these dont use a nut )
Well I was cleaning up the mess from my install and guess what I found... The 4 K4 x 10 screws (for tapping directly into the plastic). So as usual, I am the idiot... I used the wrong screws for the accelerator, and now the holes are too big for the correct ones. Oh well, 15 minutes of filing got me to where I no longer have a problem getting full throttle, but I feel pretty stupid! Maybe I can order a new accelerator pedal module and start over... I drilled the plastic piece behind the pedal a bit so that the nut wouldn't hit, and now there is a hole in it, and it looks kind of bad.

Now if they would just put instructions in the kit, it would have helped . But I guess they want the dealers to make the money from the installation.

Here is a good site I found that details the installation. He didn't do the dead pedal though, and it looks like he used the same screws I did for the accelerator pedal (the wrong ones). Use the screws that bite into the plastic....

http://www.my330i.com/mod5.php

By the way, does anyone know if any software updates are ready for the E90? My dealer says he can't even program my car for the factory alarm that I just got... I find this hard to believe since I am sure there are some people with the alarm already.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Here are some pics of the pedals installed. It was late in the afternoon so the lighting sucks, but you get the idea.

Appreciate 0