BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #23
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

do u have the stock charge pipe?? if not.. the pipe could be rattling on a a/c pipe that runs just below it.. I get a slight rattle at low rpm. the fix is to slide the pipe out of the rubber boot to get it to come away from the a/c line a bit.. .I periodically check it.. a/c line is fine so I just leave it be.. if u have the stock charge pipe.. check for gremlins!!
      03-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #24
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
do u have the stock charge pipe?? if not.. the pipe could be rattling on a a/c pipe that runs just below it.. I get a slight rattle at low rpm. the fix is to slide the pipe out of the rubber boot to get it to come away from the a/c line a bit.. .I periodically check it.. a/c line is fine so I just leave it be.. if u have the stock charge pipe.. check for gremlins!!
stock charge pipe here
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Do you still have the exhaust flap connected? That can make all sorts if strange rattles when loose. Can try the golf tee mod and see if it goes away.

I do but that's not it on my car. I did the golf tee mod (disconnected via trunk switch) but didn't like it so I put it back. I felt like on the DCT it added drone and caused some added lag.

But as I said mine has gone away since moving to FL. Not sure if its the humidity or just the shipping of the car across country that cured it but its gone now.
      03-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
You say it happens in every gear but what about neutral?

I asked my mechanic about the same thing. Its a buzzy rattle anytime the engine is at that exact RPM range then goes away once above it. He told me it was the exhaust rattling and all BMW's do that. Wasn't super specific about which part just told me it'd have to be replaced to fix it. Don't think its drivetrain related for me since it happens in neutral also.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #27
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
You say it happens in every gear but what about neutral?

I asked my mechanic about the same thing. Its a buzzy rattle anytime the engine is at that exact RPM range then goes away once above it. He told me it was the exhaust rattling and all BMW's do that. Wasn't super specific about which part just told me it'd have to be replaced to fix it. Don't think its drivetrain related for me since it happens in neutral also.
it happens under load only. Not that it means that it couldn't be the exhaust anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #28
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Lose suspension bolt?
      03-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #29
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Lose suspension bolt?
I guess anything is possible at this point, but it doesn't sound like it. I'll check everything when I have it on a lift one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #30
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Finally figured out the stupid buzzing. It was the aluminum trim on top of the dash, all the way at the end on the passengers side. So happy I found it, as it's been driving me nuts. I want to thank the ever crappy Wantagh Parkway, as it made locating the area making the noise that much easier to locate.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #31
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Correction. The buzzing is coming from the black panel right under the climate control. Now I need to research how to remove the radio and climate control, and take care of the issue. Anyone who knows how, feel free to chime in
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Isn't it fun tracking down noises?

I wish you luck in finding that noise. They're very tricky things, you think you've found the noise, but then it seems to have moved elsewhere. I had a clunk that sounded like a loose sway bar bolt, but it was just a slightly too-loose nut on a toe arm...
      04-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #33
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Isn't it fun tracking down noises?

I wish you luck in finding that noise. They're very tricky things, you think you've found the noise, but then it seems to have moved elsewhere. I had a clunk that sounded like a loose sway bar bolt, but it was just a slightly too-loose nut on a toe arm...
the good news is, I can get the noise to stop if I push slightly on that little panel, so I'm pretty sure I've found it. Now, I have to see how to correct it. I found a video on how to remove the climate control, and its super easy. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #34
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Ok, so this endeavor has felt like a game of

So, I drove around the neighborhood with my wife for a while, cursed like a sailor, had my wife listen and pinpoint the source of the noise. The good news is, she found it It was coming from the rain sensor area by the rear view mirror. Took it apart, and I found that whatever little sensor this is, was suppose to be glued to the window as the window had some dried glue and the sensor did too.
I tried double sided tape, but it wouldn't stick, then I got some 3m dual lock Velcro like but better and did this

So, I'm willing to bet the glue has let go on most of these cars by now. If you hear a slight rattle at low rpm, pop the cover by the rear view mirror and see if this little sensor is still attached, and if not, find a way to attach it and the rattle will be gone and your sanity will be back. This has been driving me nuts for over a year now, which I've ignored, but over the past few weeks I decided to find it or sell the car. Glad my wife found it. Always knew I got a good woman!
Appreciate 2
Esteban43330.00
      04-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #35
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Glad you found that rattle! Now to find the next one...
      04-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #36
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
hey, that's fighting words, there are no more rattles...for now.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #37
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Quote:
hey, that's fighting words, there are no more rattles...for now.
They ain't fightin' if they're true! It's a German car past its warranty, there will always be another...unfortunately
      04-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #38
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
You need some of this

Permatex 81840 Extreme Rearview Mirror Profressional Strength Adhesive Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBM4TC..._fjP5AbCK07DFJ
      04-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #39
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
You need some of this

Permatex 81840 Extreme Rearview Mirror Profressional Strength Adhesive Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBM4TC..._fjP5AbCK07DFJ
this was not what was used by bmw. What they had there was something resembling silicone. My guess is that since this is a sensor, they don't want something as aggressive as the rear view adhesive.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #40
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Glad you tracked down your issue. Years ago, I had a 1992 GTI. It developed a similar buzz. Drove me so crazy I actually removed the entire dash pad, HVAC, and radio. Reinstalled with silicone sealant and zip tied and Velcro wrapped everything that even looked like it could move. I let everything set up, and took her out the next day. Guess what? Same noise! It drove me nuts for about a week. Then, I was driving at night. The noise was there, but so was a lifted pickup truck right in my rearview mirror blinding me. I touched the mirror to flip from day to night mode, and the noise stopped while I was touching the mirror. I sheepishly tightened the little allen screw that secures the mirror, and never heard it again.
It turns out that the way the sound reflected off the windshield made it seem like the sound was coming from the dash or defroster vents. I wish I saw your post earlier. I would have offered up that anecdote and possibly saved you some grief!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #41
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Glad you tracked down your issue. Years ago, I had a 1992 GTI. It developed a similar buzz. Drove me so crazy I actually removed the entire dash pad, HVAC, and radio. Reinstalled with silicone sealant and zip tied and Velcro wrapped everything that even looked like it could move. I let everything set up, and took her out the next day. Guess what? Same noise! It drove me nuts for about a week. Then, I was driving at night. The noise was there, but so was a lifted pickup truck right in my rearview mirror blinding me. I touched the mirror to flip from day to night mode, and the noise stopped while I was touching the mirror. I sheepishly tightened the little allen screw that secures the mirror, and never heard it again.
It turns out that the way the sound reflected off the windshield made it seem like the sound was coming from the dash or defroster vents. I wish I saw your post earlier. I would have offered up that anecdote and possibly saved you some grief!
wow, that's crazy! Interestingly enough, back in college, many moons ago, I had a 1991 GTI, but fortunately for me, it never squeaked or rattled.... instead, I (and the dealer) could never get it to idle properly so I sold it, but I did love that little car! I hate rattles. I really really do. Drives me insane.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #42
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
wow, that's crazy! Interestingly enough, back in college, many moons ago, I had a 1991 GTI, but fortunately for me, it never squeaked or rattled.... instead, I (and the dealer) could never get it to idle properly so I sold it, but I did love that little car! I hate rattles. I really really do. Drives me insane.
The Digifant fuel injection system on those GTI's sucked big-time. The idle control air valves were problematic. I had the same issues, and eventually sold it for the same reason you did.It was showing 175K on the odo, but I had disconnected the speedometer cable, so it had over 250K when I sold it. Fun car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #43
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
The Digifant fuel injection system on those GTI's sucked big-time. The idle control air valves were problematic. I had the same issues, and eventually sold it for the same reason you did.It was showing 175K on the odo, but I had disconnected the speedometer cable, so it had over 250K when I sold it. Fun car.
yeah, I know. New idle control air valve or not, no one could make it idle... but it wasn't just that, second gear would grind on upshifts only (on downshifts it was fine), and everything was falling apart with just over 100k. I still loved the car for some reason, but it was a POS.
Appreciate 0