BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Adding USB and Bluetooth to a no option 1 Series

UPDATE 9/4/2016: Never got around to solving the quirks from this modification, and to be honest, nothing described below is all that tough to live with. I do not use the phone features at all; voices through the speakers are too loud and distorted to understand. iPod connectivity works like a charm, and more recently I've switched to using a USB stick to play music which also works great. Although I'm satisfied with the outcome and its quirks, save yourself the hassle and go a different route for adding usb/phone connectivity.

---

UPDATE 4/25/2013: Sorry for the delay in updating, I had lost quite a bit of motivation when my shop that was suppose to do the coding failed to do anything at all. Turns out the head unit I bought from that ebay listing was vin matched to another bmw, which means the shop couldn't flash new software. Sounds like they don't know how to unmatch the vin. I will have to take to the internet and try to unmatch the vin myself but at the moment I don't have the free time to do that, maybe in a few months. All in all I would not recommend doing this modification following the procedure outlined below unless you are bmw coding savvy or do not mind the quirks I've listed, I may potentially upload a video of them for you guys to see what they're like.

----

UPDATE 3/21/13: I have gone through and performed this modification to a interesting degree of success. First off I should say the USB/AUX combo jack I had purchased from BMW had a different number of pins to receive the AUX wiring from the stock car. This was incredibly confusing to myself and my installer but luckily he was able to customize the parts in a way forcing them to work.

Before Coding I have:
-Ability to activate German voice commands but will not acknowledge I'm speaking, even in German
-Ability to place calls through headunit (All in English)
-Ability to use Ipod through headunit and steering wheel controls work for changing song
-Ear shatteringly loud gong and voice command prompt
-M mode button doubles as sport mode and change audio source button.

This modification is for a 1 series with no external amplifier, which I believe is the case in all 2010 - present models (Don't remember if 2009 also has no external). If you have an external amplifier, I do not have a clue as to if this modification will work with your car. If you meet this requirement and have no options but would like to add USB and/or Bluetooth, this should work for you. If you have factory several options that upgraded your audio in anyway but lack USB/Bluetooth you might qualify for one of the retrofit kits outlined below, whether they are exactly what you want I'm not sure.

This modification will allow you to use:
-Bluetooth hands free calling
-Ipod/USB control through the headunit
-Steering wheel controls for both (including changing song with up/down)

You will need to get your hands on an OEM headunit that (could potentially look identical to the one you have on the exterior and) has the correct ports for usb/bluetooth. The other wires and accessories are outlined below. This modification will require coding, if you can a head of time, make sure the head unit you get isn't already vin matched to another vehicle or at least be prepared to deal with getting rid of that match, which at the moment I do not know how to do.

----

This modification will require:

- a y cable: I had one of these from the seller of my car, BMW could probably hook you up. If you aren't worried about using an IPOD you won't need one of these.
- a newhead unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-professi...0c4225&vxp=mtr
WARNING: The head unit I bought off that listing was already vin matched to another car, at the moment I can not proceed with coding due to this reason, I will have to manually remove the match, which I do not know how to do.
- the USB wiring: 61119129360 -> CONNECTION WIRE FOR USB/H (Dealer charged me ~$80)
- the actual USB/aux port: (Dealer charged me $75, and it turned out this part didn't match the original aux port wiring, this required custom modifications to the wiring and port to force them to fit. I would not recommend doing this yourself and even then I only attempted this modification because a fellow forum member was able to do it without running into this mismatched wiring problem, which leads me to the think I purchased the wrong AUX/USB port even though it fit perfectly in the center console and looked exactly like what I needed.)
- mic and mic wiring: (comes with head unit)
- coding and installation (you can potentially do these yourself scroll through the thread to find posts relating to both respectively, I preferred not to however but it's looking like I will have to.)

Thanks for reading! Hope it helped feel free to ask any questions you have in this thread.

----

Here's the original post 12/17/12:

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to add a usb jack under the arm rest. I had this in my 128i and loved it (head unit integration and steering wheel controls).

After speaking with my dealer on the phone asking about retrofitting usb, they were very vague, but set up an appointment. After driving there, turns out: since I have no options, some sort of part is missing. Therefore a retrofit is not possible. Dealer had no clue what that part was and made no effort to find out. (Colossal waste of time )

I have researched this topic before on the forums, and a lot of topics are started without ever having a conclusive end. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter.

What part(s) am I missing? And is this ridiculous thing possible?

Last edited by Cope; 09-04-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

If you are handy or take to a custom shop. Add a power socket it can be wired direct to fuse panel then add a USB connect. That is if you are just wanting a power source.
      12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv128bmw View Post
If you are handy or take to a custom shop. Add a power socket it can be wired direct to fuse panel then add a USB connect. That is if you are just wanting a power source.
Looking to use it more for ipod connectivity, with steering wheel controls/head unit integration.
      12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
cdde323
some dude
Rep
Drives: 135i

Might be better off search the 3 series forums... there is a lot of folks over there who have done retrofits. While I can offer no solid advice, I'd suggest looking into MULF/Combo box retrofits. You might even get lucky and already have the necessary modules, they would just need to be coded to activate the USB/Bluetooth, obviously you would still need to add the USB wiring/hub/port.

I appreciate and applaud your choice of a non-optioned 1M.
      12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Hook up for radio could be an issue like dealer said. Just had the same issue with a Porsche. The radio had to be replaced and car wired.

Not sure about the radio in the BMW if they use different ones for with and without options. If not it should be a DIY just running a cable through the console up to back of radio.
      12-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i; 2015 X5 xDrive35d

Having just done a Bluetooth/Sirius/USB retrofit on my 2010 135i this past weekend, I can tell you that it is very possible. What you'll need is a Bluetooth/USB BMW Professional head unit, a mic (if you want hands free calling) and the standard USB/AUX cable and jack.

After installation (no coding yet), I can immediately place calls, although the voice commands are in German. My wife can understand it, but I will have to code to change that and enable Sirius. The USB/AUX cable is being ordered this week through my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks to me that BMW makes a USB retrofit kit! You only have to look to RealOEM.com to confirm this.

This is the kit for no Nav or Bluetooth...

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...14&hg=65&fg=95

I think you only need this part... #65410427467
I am not sure if you need those other parts or not. Make sure your car doesn't have any of those options - that they list.

On this page they list the USB retrofit kit for Nav or Bluetooth...
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...25&hg=65&fg=95
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducboy View Post
Having just done a Bluetooth/Sirius/USB retrofit on my 2010 135i this past weekend, I can tell you that it is very possible. What you'll need is a Bluetooth/USB BMW Professional head unit, a mic (if you want hands free calling) and the standard USB/AUX cable and jack.

After installation (no coding yet), I can immediately place calls, although the voice commands are in German. My wife can understand it, but I will have to code to change that and enable Sirius. The USB/AUX cable is being ordered this week through my local dealer.
This is interesting, I wouldn't be against going down this route, where could I get another head unit (maybe I should find a DIY video and remove my headunit making sure it lacks whatever it is I'm missing)? would it be possible to order one through my dealer? have then install it? Or is it simple enough to do this on my own? I have a y-cable so that's one thing to not worry about. Bluetooth isn't a big concern but if it isn't too much extra work why not ehh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks to me that BMW makes a USB retrofit kit! You only have to look to RealOEM.com to confirm this.

This is the kit for no Nav or Bluetooth...

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...14&hg=65&fg=95

I think you only need this part... #65410427467
I am not sure if you need those other parts or not. Make sure your car doesn't have any of those options - that they list.

On this page they listbmw/showparts.do?model=UR93&mospid=54062&btnr=65_1825& hg=65&fg=95[/url the USB retrofit kit for Nav or Bluetooth...
[url]http://realoem.com/]
I'm not too familiar with how realoem works, I don't know how I order that kit, and it doesn't look like the apparatus you use with the under the armrest usb/aux jack, the cable doesn't look like the Y-cable neither. I can say my head unit says "Professional" so Radio BMW Professional = No might mean I'm out of luck right away with that kit.
      12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got my head unit from carsequipment on eBay. He's in the Czech Republic (where the HU is manufactured.) It was around $370 shipped, and got it within a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-professi...0c4225&vxp=mtr

The install is very easy. The hardest part was routing the mic. Once I figured out how to remove the passenger side pillar, it was all downhill from there.

Here's a YouTube video that got me going down this path in the first place:

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
...I'm not too familiar with how realoem works, I don't know how I order that kit, and it doesn't look like the apparatus you use with the under the armrest usb/aux jack, the cable doesn't look like the Y-cable neither. I can say my head unit says "Professional" so Radio BMW Professional = No might mean I'm out of luck right away with that kit.
On this page of RealOEM.com - they list all the different car confiq's. I am sure there is one USB kit for your car.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...25&hg=65&fg=95

I wonder IF something like this simple add on box would work? I know it says its for an e39 or e38... but maybe that company makes a USB box for our e82's!?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ncXus-V3-USB-...ht_7252wt_1065
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it.

Quote:
I got my head unit from carsequipment on eBay. He's in the Czech Republic (where the HU is manufactured.) It was around $370 shipped, and got it within a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-professi...0c4225&vxp=mtr

The install is very easy. The hardest part was routing the mic. Once I figured out how to remove the passenger side pillar, it was all downhill from there.

Here's a YouTube video that got me going down this path in the first place:

Where did you get the wiring for the usb portion as well as the actual physical usb jack to replace the aux only jack under the armrest (assuming that is what you did)? I noticed that the ebay ad only says it includes a microphone and there's no mention of the usb portion.

I take it I should disassemble my head unit from the dash and see if it is different from what is shown in both the video/ebay ad, and if it is this might be a relatively simple path to go down besides coding, which I haven't the faintest clue how to handle, but I guess I'll worry about that after I know where to get all the parts needed for such a swap first.
      12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it.

Where did you get the wiring for the usb portion as well as the actual physical usb jack to replace the aux only jack under the armrest (assuming that is what you did)? I noticed that the ebay ad only says it includes a microphone and there's no mention of the usb portion.

I take it I should disassemble my head unit from the dash and see if it is different from what is shown in both the video/ebay ad, and if it is this might be a relatively simple path to go down besides coding, which I haven't the faintest clue how to handle, but I guess I'll worry about that after I know where to get all the parts needed for such a swap first.
I haven't ordered the USB cable yet, it's on my list. I plan on getting it through my local dealer. I believe the part number is in the comments section of the YouTube page referenced.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't ordered the USB cable yet, it's on my list. I plan on getting it through my local dealer. I believe the part number is in the comments section of the YouTube page referenced.
I went back to my dealer, bought a usb/aux port to swap out with my aux port. I have a y cable, probably going to buy that radio from that ebay listing that was posted as it has a different part number then the radio I have now in my dash even though they're both "professional" headunits.

What I'm still questioning is do I have the correct wiring from the usb/aux port to the headunit? The dealer wasn't too confident they'd be able to add wiring from the port to the headunit. They said it'd be a coin flip that it could be plug and play. Either way I bet it'll all require coding which will only complicate things further.
      01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I went back to my dealer, bought a usb/aux port to swap out with my aux port. I have a y cable, probably going to buy that radio from that ebay listing that was posted as it has a different part number then the radio I have now in my dash even though they're both "professional" headunits.

What I'm still questioning is do I have the correct wiring from the usb/aux port to the headunit? The dealer wasn't too confident they'd be able to add wiring from the port to the headunit. They said it'd be a coin flip that it could be plug and play. Either way I bet it'll all require coding which will only complicate things further.
You'll definitely need the cable from the HU to the AUX/USB port under your armrest (at least that's where it is on the 135i.) Here's the part number:

61119129360 -> CONNECTION WIRE FOR USB/H ~$50

Not sure if you'll need coding to enable any of this. Without coding, I have full Bluetooth functionality including steering wheel buttons, and I suspect USB will be the same since it's all controlled by the HU. I plan on coding mine myself, simply to change the voice control to English from German
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I looked at realOEM and this appears to be one of those things where it would be a good idea to load your VIN into realOEM and then go search for parts. You can tell it when your car was made and get information but there seemed to be a whole lot of variations on the retrofit kit for bluetooth and USB. It's nice there is a retrofit kit but putting in your VIN might help RealOEM figure out which kit you need.

Jim
      01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You'll definitely need the cable from the HU to the AUX/USB port under your armrest (at least that's where it is on the 135i.) Here's the part number:

61119129360 -> CONNECTION WIRE FOR USB/H ~$50

Not sure if you'll need coding to enable any of this. Without coding, I have full Bluetooth functionality including steering wheel buttons, and I suspect USB will be the same since it's all controlled by the HU. I plan on coding mine myself, simply to change the voice control to English from German
Yea the USB port is in the same place as it was in my 2011 128i that I had before this. Location on that shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for the part number I'll probably order that relatively soon, along with the replacement headunit.

Is it a rough task putting in that USB wire? I have to be honest and admit I've never done anything of the sort before and if it were possible was going to assemble all of the parts and try to get my dealer to install them (or a local audio shop).

After that paragraph it should come as no surprise when I say I also have no clue how coding works, or how I even begin to do that myself. I knew that would be an issue, when talking to the parts department at my dealer they were shady on what would need to be done. Any guess on what sort of price I could see for this kind of coding? Sounds like I need a language change, and do you know now if USB functionality is good with/without coding?

To recap, I will need:
- a y cable (which I have)
- a new head unit
- the USB wiring
- the actual USB/aux port
- mic + wiring (comes with head unit)
- coding

Is there anything I'm missing or does that look about right? And thank you so much for the help so far I'm excited to get this done.
      01-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Coding isn't a huge big deal. You should go to a website named b m w c o d i n g . c o m (eliminate the spaces). There is a novice section which will explain how to get started. Anybody reasonably computer literate can do it if they are methodical and careful. It isn't hard but you can give your car different instructions than you intended if you are not careful.

To run the wires you may need or want to remove the console. That isn't terribly hard either and there is a good DIY in that section written by AndyM. I've pulled it a couple times in my car and once in my girlfriends car. The hardest part is taking the gear shift off (pull hard straight up, far easier with an automatic (but unclip the dust boot first)). Only tools need are plastic pry bars (harbor freights are less than $10) and torx screwdrivers, and a 10mm socket/ratchet.

Jim
      01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Coding isn't a huge big deal. You should go to a website named b m w c o d i n g . c o m (eliminate the spaces). There is a novice section which will explain how to get started. Anybody reasonably computer literate can do it if they are methodical and careful. It isn't hard but you can give your car different instructions than you intended if you are not careful.

To run the wires you may need or want to remove the console. That isn't terribly hard either and there is a good DIY in that section written by AndyM. I've pulled it a couple times in my car and once in my girlfriends car. The hardest part is taking the gear shift off (pull hard straight up, far easier with an automatic (but unclip the dust boot first)). Only tools need are plastic pry bars (harbor freights are less than $10) and torx screwdrivers, and a 10mm socket/ratchet.

Jim
Good to know that route is an option. Once I know all of the components involved for the actual replacement, I will pull the trigger on this project.
      02-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135/340/M235/M240/current-M3

If you already have professional radio but without bluetooth and usb can you just add the pieces and get radio coded?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09135ijh View Post
If you already have professional radio but without bluetooth and usb can you just add the pieces and get radio coded?
It was my understand that the professional radio without those lacks certain ports on the back of it that the professional radio with them has. Either way I'm having my radio swapped out next month, I just went ahead and bought the new headunit from ebay since they have different part numbers (proof enough for me).

I really was not going to tear apart my headunit to make sure they were different, figured if my old headunit turns out to have the proper components to accept the usb cable then ill just sell the new headunit I bought.

Edit: It also depends on whether or not you have an external amp (depends on the year of the car, I think 2010 and on do not have an external amp but don't quote me on that). I don't, so I didn't really look for what the procedure would be if that's the case.
      02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135/340/M235/M240/current-M3

I have 2009 with hifi so have external amp in trunk, I been using a flexsmart device for my bluetooth plugs into cigarette lighter plug, radio transmitter or plug into aux, has mic on device. Switching the stereo might be my option I'm looking for keep me updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I went ahead and did this, added a new headunit swapped in some wires and mounted the bluetooth mic. The results were stunning, with a few funny quirks. Without coding I can completely control and use my Ipod through the headunit. I can place calls through the headunit as well. People have reported everything sounds great.

Here are the negatives however. The steering wheel controls are a little funky and will definitely require coding. The 1M steering wheel has the audio source button below the M mode button, but this mod reminded me of my 128i steering wheel which had the source change button where the M mode button is now, and below that was a climate control button. After performing the mod, the M button now doubles as the M mode and source change button, both actions happening simultaneously when depressed. The source change button now performs like the climate change button. That's not all, the ambient noises not controlled by the volume on the headunit (ie: the gong, telephone noises, and voice command noises) are all incredibly loud, ear drum shatteringly so. Even with the gong set to -5 I dread hearing it, it's damnnn annoying. Even set to the lowest volume it's comparable to the highest volume it used to have. If you press the voice command button on the steering wheel, first the noise letting you know you can say a command is ear drum shatteringly loud and the woman shouts at you in German, and she too, is incredibly loud. I find a lot of this rather funny, but if I don't get coding down in a month's time I probably will go crazy lol.

Probably the biggest problem with this modification was that the original wiring for the 3.5mm aux jack that came originally with the car, had a 4 pin connector while the new aux/usb panel I wanted installed had a 6 pin connector for the same wire. The defied logic, and I was rather happy I didn't do this install myself, and my installer was able to altar the oem parts I had purchased to force everything to fit.

All in all, I now just need to get some coding done and my car won't be distinguishable from a car that had usb/bluetooth installed from the factory to begin with.