11-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #23
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Flywheel, UK tuners generally quote / advertise all power/torque figures against manufacturers stated figures.....
Yep, correct, at the flywheel.

I'll post a dyno graph when my car is done on Friday
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 996 GT3 & M3M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Yep, correct, at the flywheel.

I'll post a dyno graph when my car is done on Friday
Hey Chris, I have read your posts with interest as you have helped me decide to buy a 1M with your reviews - and spot on you were too - picked mine up yesterday. Are you travelling to DMS in Southampton to get this done? If so I may pop down to have a look if you don't mind as I'm in Portsmouth which is half an hour away
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybGT3 View Post
Hey Chris, I have read your posts with interest as you have helped me decide to buy a 1M with your reviews - and spot on you were too - picked mine up yesterday. Are you travelling to DMS in Southampton to get this done? If so I may pop down to have a look if you don't mind as I'm in Portsmouth which is half an hour away
Hi Terry.

Glad that I've been able to help you decide to buy a 1M. Like you, I've had a number of different cars and the 1M is just such a superbly balanced car that is comfortable and fast

Anyway yes I am going to DMS to have the work done and of course you are more than welcome to pop down. My friend who had his Masarati GTS remapped at DMS is also popping down. I'll be there from 10:30am onwards if you want to pop in.

Cheers,

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the posts and info. you share, real useful stuff. I think you, me and 1seriestud took delivery of our 1Ms in different parts of the world around the same time and I totally share your excitement about this brilliant car. Could you tell also what were the stock torque numbers that DMS identified in your 1M and in other 1Ms that they have tuned? I take it that the real stock number for hp was 360-370 hp in all 1Ms that they have tuned, am I right?

Thanks in advance and please keep us posted about how the car feels afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Hi Terry.

Glad that I've been able to help you decide to buy a 1M. Like you, I've had a number of different cars and the 1M is just such a superbly balanced car that is comfortable and fast

Anyway yes I am going to DMS to have the work done and of course you are more than welcome to pop down. My friend who had his Masarati GTS remapped at DMS is also popping down. I'll be there from 10:30am onwards if you want to pop in.

Cheers,

Chris.
Cool, I'll pop over about 12/12.30 then
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #28
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Let us know how you get on Chris.

Since the initial enquiry, i never got round to pursuing this, mainly because of the warrenty issue bought up Aussie.

Be interested to here your views on the result.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey Chris, good to see you today and hope the drive home was mucho fun - look forward to hearing about it
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to meet you as well Terry and I'm all home and safe now

...now onto my report

Following the very positive feedback / comments I've heard about DMS, I was very happy for them to custom map my car to give it a little bit more oomph.

Both Rob and Martin at DMS are real enthusiasts and I really love the work they do. Rob (the owner) spent ages with me talking about cars (not just BMW's, but Porsches, Maserati's, etc) and it's clear that he has a real passion for anything with petrol in it! It became clear very quickly that they are highly regarded as a number of tasty cars were there (two 997 Turbos, a GT3, etc) and whilst we were there, a very nice GT3 RS turned up

My little BMW therefore wasn't the best car there, but it was going to get a lot better The car was strapped to the dyno and they ran it three times to see what it was producing stock.

With the run complete, my car showed the following:

349.9 BHP
402 lb/ft torque (544nm)

Rob said that these figures were in line with the sorts of figures he'd been seeing, although he had seen a stock 1M up at nearly 370bhp!!

After that, my entire ECU was downloaded which took nearly 2 hours to complete. I'm not sure how other tuners do it, but DMS told me that they download the cars ECU, custom tweak the boost, fueling and other settings (sorry can't remember all of them) and then upload my ECU back again. This way, all of the codes associated with my ECU (apparently it contains my VIN number or something) does not get wiped as they are mapping my car with my ECU....just tweaked.

With the download taking nearly two hours my friend Dan and I took his Maserati Grand Turismo S into the local town for some lunch

But before lunch, Dan took me to the local Maserati and Ferrari dealership as he knew the guy there, so I got to have a good look around at all of their cars. They even took us to their new "studio" area where customers are invited to spec their cars. This area has brake discs, calipers (in all colours) and steering wheels on the walls and a selection of different seats underneath. The idea being that the customer can just have a look through and custom build his/her Ferrari (very nice!!).

It was rude not to take some photos, so I took a few snaps of a customer car waiting to leave the "studio"

...maybe one day eh!

After depressing myself that I couldn't have a 458, we left, went for some lunch and then blasted back to DMS in the Masser (what a sound!!).

When we arrived back at DMS, they were just finishing off the download of my new map, and preparing for the second second run.....

Results back and the car made.......

401.4 BHP
485 lb/ft torque (656nm)

Rob is going to email me the dyno plot and I'll upload it when it comes through if anyone is interested, but I'm over the moon with the results!

The map doesn't feel aftermarket at all. If anything, it's smoother than the stock map and feels very "factory" like. It's smooth through the rev range and now has some SERIOUS punch in gear!

Sufficed to say that the car really is quick now! The torque is just stupid, any gear, any rpm, it just FLIES!! I left it in 6th gear most of the journey home on the motorway as I just didn't need to change down to get past.....well anything. That includes the Jaguar XFR that I followed out onto the slip road of the M25. His face was a picture

I cannot praise DMS enough

Last edited by ChrisBuer; 11-26-2011 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow, those are awesome figures Chris.... Well done matey - I think I may just have to follow suit in due course
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
Keanu111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M4C, 2014 AW X6M

Is this ever coming to Canada by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #33
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Dyno plot attached

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #34
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Great results Chris and good to see Rob looked after you and made you leave with a smile on your face..

Reminds me of my day out there looking at your pics.. Did you have a wonder a few doors down to see the Mazzas and Ferraris...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Should be another satisfied customer tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
BradleyA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1M

I'm Sulking

Can someone in Scotland please do a map for the 1M as i cant travel and want it done with before and after rolling road runs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #37
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyA View Post
I'm Sulking

Can someone in Scotland please do a map for the 1M as i cant travel and want it done with before and after rolling road runs.
I'll ask Rob if he will travel up North. Will be extra cost involved if he'd be up for it, but would be worth it I'm sure
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #38
BradleyA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 and 1M

Quote:
I'll ask Rob if he will travel up North. Will be extra cost involved if he'd be up for it, but would be worth it I'm sure
I would be keen for that.

I am based in Aberdeen so a cost to travel up here to do the map would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #39
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyA View Post
I would be keen for that.

I am based in Aberdeen so a cost to travel up here to do the map would be great.
He actually does a fair bit of work in Aberdeen already and is up there for 2 jobs next week. Drop him an email to rob at dmsautomotive.com - I said I would suggest you drop him a line if you're interested.

Are you interested?? Maybe this will help make up your mind..

Post remap figures = 415/475
Pre remap were actually very high at 380/420

Unfortunately it has rained all afternoon and not had the chance to try it out properly

But I will soon - but it already feels much smoother
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #40
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Terry,

Superb figures there my friend!

Can't wait to see your dyno plot but it sound superb! Like you, I found the remap to be much smoother and this really does mask the speed. You don't think you're going that quickly and then you look at the speedo and.....gulp!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #41
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

What is everyone's thoughts on warranty issues re BMW UK with software upgrades etc?

Being new to the BMW ownership world I am not sure of the score, and having just come from the OPC/VXR world where even a performance panel; air filter will invalidate your engine warranty (Vauxhall even have your ecu removed/sent off for inpsection before approving any engine/gear box warranty work on these models), so I am not sure if I will mess about to much and am only sorting at this stage a suspension upgrade......
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #42
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on warranty issues re BMW UK with software upgrades etc?

Being new to the BMW ownership world I am not sure of the score, and having just come from the OPC/VXR world where even a performance panel; air filter will invalidate your engine warranty (Vauxhall even have your ecu removed/sent off for inpsection before approving any engine/gear box warranty work on these models), so I am not sure if I will mess about to much and am only sorting at this stage a suspension upgrade......
I think to be honest, it depends on how far you'd be willing to go if you had a warranty problem. For example, my old Golf R32 had an engine oil starvation issue. The car had a Milltek exhaust which couldn't have caused the problem. The failure was actually due to a faulty oil pump. VW replaced my entire engine without any issues because they could not prove that my exhaust had caused my oil pump to fail. I'm pretty sure there was some change recently to EU legislation on things like warranty claims anyway, but I'll have to dig out what I had on it.

Personally speaking, I'd go no further than remapping and adding an exhaust to the 1M. To be honest, the car is so fast now that I'd probably not even bother with an exhaust (I think the stock system actually sounds very good). My remap is mild and when I spoke to DMS, they told me that I could go further, but at the expense of reliability and longevity.

I've spoken to a lot of people who have covered over 35,000 miles with DMS remapped cars and none of them have ever had any problems. Also, DMS did say that a couple of their customers had routine warranty work carried out (nothing to do with the remap) and have never had any issues with the dealer detecting the remap.

If I had a warranty claim and if my dealer searched, found and blamed it on my remap when clearly it had had no impact, I would ask them to put it in writing (which of course they would never do). For example, if the seat runner in my car was faulty, I'd not expect them to blame the remap!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #43
bloodsales
Private
China
Rep
Drives: M3&1M

i hope they have facility in Shanghai````
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #44
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
He actually does a fair bit of work in Aberdeen already and is up there for 2 jobs next week. Drop him an email to rob at dmsautomotive.com - I said I would suggest you drop him a line if you're interested.

Are you interested?? Maybe this will help make up your mind..

Post remap figures = 415/475
Pre remap were actually very high at 380/420

Unfortunately it has rained all afternoon and not had the chance to try it out properly

But I will soon - but it already feels much smoother
These are interesting numbers, both stock and remap figures are very impressive. First of all, tells us that a stock 1M has 380hp, 40 over the official! 420 torque (570nm I guess) is more in line with the most if not all of the previous dyno figures. I wonder why the hp figures differ wildly, from 350 hp in Chris' car to 380 hp in that case though?
Appreciate 0