BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Question on Automatic Lock

New owner here. Reading the manual, if I understood the Automatic Lock feature... after enabling that feature in the profile, if I leave the car and close the door, it will automatically lock itself after a period of time? How long?
I can't get this to work. I've left the car overnight and it's still unlocked.

Did I misunderstand?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Do you have CA (comfort access)? IF your CA fob(key) is too close to the car it won't lock. It also won't lock if the fob is inside of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

I do have CA.
I left my key in my bedroom, far away from the garage, and it was still unlocked in the morning.

I noticed the manual says "if the doors haven't been opened...".
I had to open the door to get out of the car. Just in case, I also tested it by sitting inside the car, without opening the door... but you already answered that one (the fob was inside the car).
So what I understood from the manual is correct... it is supposed to lock itself after I walk away?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I do have CA.
I left my key in my bedroom, far away from the garage, and it was still unlocked in the morning.

I noticed the manual says "if the doors haven't been opened...".
I had to open the door to get out of the car. Just in case, I also tested it by sitting inside the car, without opening the door... but you already answered that one (the fob was inside the car).
So what I understood from the manual is correct... it is supposed to lock itself after I walk away?
The feature is meant for a different situation. If you use your remote to unlock the car but than decide not to open the doors for any reason (taking the subway), it will lock itself again after a while.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
The feature is meant for a different situation. If you use your remote to unlock the car but than decide not to open the doors for any reason (taking the subway), it will lock itself again after a while.
Correct - so it will not lock after you have opened the door. The manual is not too clear on this point.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes a lot more sense than the manual.
Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Mine will lock itself even if you've opened/closed the doors.
      12-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Not in the US, just think about that little kid climbing into the car after I unlocked it, and it locks after him and he suffocates in the burning sun. At least we have a government looking out for us (insert sarcasm here...).
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mean... starting from a locked car, you unlock with remote, open a door, close it and walk away. The car will lock itself?
That is surprising. I can think of a lot of issues that this would cause.
Since your last action was to unlock, how does the car know you want it locked?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
You mean... starting from a locked car, you unlock with remote, open a door, close it and walk away. The car will lock itself?
Yup.

It's a configurable in the iDrive over here. You can set the option to either auto lock after a time delay or not auto lock.
      12-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not in the US, just think about that little kid climbing into the car after I unlocked it, and it locks after him and he suffocates in the burning sun. At least we have a government looking out for us (insert sarcasm here...).

I know what you mean.....my Harley Davidson owners manual has about 15 pages of actual useful information inserted between several hundred pages of huge warning messages about this that and the other, most of which are completely unessessary.... and frankly an insult to even the average human beings intelligence......

What ever happened to good old common sense
      12-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know what you mean.....my Harley Davidson owners manual has about 15 pages of actual useful information inserted between several hundred pages of huge warning messages about this that and the other, most of which are completely unessessary.... and frankly an insult to even the average human beings intelligence......

good old common sense got sued and lost.
my Honda lawn mower has a warning label on it that tells me not to stick my toes under the deck or risk losing them. :doh:
Your sentiment is exactly what I have been predicting. Some warnings may make sense given our litigious society, but they make us look stupid to other countries.
I don't blame people for trying to make a buck. I blame the jurors and arbitrators who award large sums of money on the most frivolous law suits.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:

Been going on for years. My 1976 BMW /6 bike had a great manual, full of very useful info. But by the late 1980's, the Honda GoldWing manual scrapped most of the good stuff for product liability driven warnings such as "Avoid locking the forks while riding."

Tom
Appreciate 0