BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

back from test drive

Well, we went for a test drive and I drove a 128 vert and a 135 coupe.

It gave us some great insight, and cleared up some issues I had, especially with visibility on the convertible, etc.

Ive read some other compare/contrast writeups of the 128 vs 135, and now I have my own... Both were auto, unfortunately... I sure wish I could have driven MT, especially with the 128i to get a better feel... that will come along.

-the M sport package on the 135 is a definite must.
-rear visibility on the vert is not as bad as I thought. I couldnt really create a blind spot with the mirrors how I usually set mine up.
-the vert is awesome, even with it only being 59 degrees out.

-I found that I definitely would not want that large nav screen on there. I kind of knew that already, but I know it moreso now.

-I would prefer a normal key. I find the key device more annoying than anything.

-I do not particularly like the disconnected, non-mechanical feel of things such as the start button and the turn signal stalk.

Now, the engine and driving... these cars both had ATs, but what I found was as follows:
-I did the 135i first then the 128. The 128 did not feel as responsive. Actually, as stupid as this may sound, my E30 318i feels more responsive than the 128i vert, even in manumatic mode.

-the 135i actually enables more gentle, low-key driving, as I can drive it really light, low rpm, and gentle, whereas the 128 feels like it needs to be worked a bit harder.

-the 1 series is a heavy car. Definitely compared to my 318i, but also to my 04 saab 9-3, and my various w123 MB diesels. It just feels heavy. Whereas my 318i has more than enough power in its 138hp for 99% of its use, the 128 felt like it needed a bump, that the 135 gave it what it needed.

-when you actually got on the 135i, it was too fast. Fun when out of the neighborhoods, perhaps, but it makes you drive more gently around town, but that isnt a bad feel for me, as I usually drive gently for max MPG in all my cars.

-the heft of the 1 series makes the 135i engine feel more suited. This is just reiterating what I mentioned above, and I feel that it is likely because of the AT, which I was not keen on shift feel or operation.

-the steering is heavy. With the M steering wheel, it feels meaty and up to the task, but Im not sure if the heft of the steering is good or bad. It does make you feel solid and stable, but it may not be as convenient for fast steering navigating cities, parking, etc.

-the car is loud at startup. I first started the 135i, and it sounded to us like it was loud under the hood. I actually felt a few misfires (no codes and the car has 13 miles on it) right after startup. The 128, either because of the exhast or because it was a vert, was less noisy under the hood, and louder coming from the rear. In driving along, there is no real road noise, and the engine doesnt get louder with use, but at startup and idle, I'd say it is actually noisier than the M42 in my 318i, and definitely louder and more noticable than the 2.0L light turbo engine in my saab 9-3 under all conditions. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - the engine sound is good to me (my wife, who grew up around sportfishing all her life, and actually has a world record for blue Marlin, said it reminded her of a boat though...)

-I was sold on white, and own too many silver cars... but the cashmere silver metallic with black top has grown on me/us. Also, we saw some coral red interiors, and while they look awesome in daytime pictures, it did not strike us as what we had expected in the nighttime... More research is necessary, as we really liked the taupe interior, black top and cashmere exterior setup...

-My practical side still really likes leatherette over leather. we both agreed that we loved the seats in the M sport 135i... just to reverify, is the only difference between leatherette and leather trimmed sport seats in the 135i the seat surface? Id hate to get a different seat when buying an m sport 135i vert, because we chose leatherette.

Thanks very much!! I'd love comments to my concepts.. It helps me with the thought process.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

The seats are the same, the difference comes if you get sport or non sport. Also you should go for comfort access so you don't even have to put the key in, just hit the start button.
      04-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

So ready for order? What other makes/models you consider before or after 1ser. Just curious. I tested about 20 different cars before agreed to take 1. 1 isn't perfect, however for the money you pay you get the best.
      04-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Well, I hav an E30 318i that I love, but is showing signs of rust... I wanted something similar size, maybe a step up in performance, etc.

I figured I really wanted a convertible. That was one of my main metrics. I was thinking of an older MB SL roadster, but my wife desired a back seat. I looked at new porsche boxsters, but they seem to have grown in size, and they of course do not have a back seat.

I looked at used M3 (E36 and E46 varieties), but they are either showing age or as pricey as a new 135i. Looked at Audi a4 cabriolet, but they cannot be had with an MT. Looked at the S4 cab, but they are either way more money than the 135i, or not as nice. The mini cooper vert was actually a consideration at one point because of its good fuel economy and nice size. However, I didnt fit in it as well, and I didnt like how I felt in it, likely because of its dimensions being different than what most typical cars are...

I am not worried about spending more money, but the reason would have to be compelling. Short of a brand new 911, I do not know of a vert that combines the good looks, performance and value that the 135i does. Some may say the 1 series is overpriced, but the 335i vert is at least 10k more, as is the A4 vert, and I do not see a compelling value proposition from any other euro manufacturer.

I didnt really consider much else... the "premium" japanese cars like the G37 just felt too fat for my liking (similar to my brother's 3000GT VR-4), and Im not a big fan of the RX-8. I love the lexus IS, as it is one of the few cars that I feel actually has a compelling feel that it is high quality (unlike acura or infiniti, which are more of just fancy hondas and nissans), but own multiple sedans, so my wife wouldnt go for it... I like the car because of its feel both on the road and quality-wise, but it is quite small, cramped, and all that quality feel makes for poor space utilization.

As for ordering, we think we want to do ED late sept or early october, so our ordering will be commensurate with that. Of course that means that price shopping needs to start soon, so that by June or so, things are pretty squared away. Ill be shopping for $500 over invoice, plus a $250 cash bonus for the salesman who gets me that... or $750 over ED invoice overall. I think that is fair.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

You won't go wrong with a vert. I guess you either like red seats or you don't. I've had mine for over 9 months now and I still love the coral red interior.

The blind spots are easy to get used to when driving especially when you set your right side mirror properly. I have no issues or worries when changing lanes anymore.

I do recommend the PDC for when you back up as that's when the blind spots are the most bothersome. I also recommend getting the rear wind screen so you can drive it top down in fairly cool weather. I had it down recently in below 50 degree weather and it was fine with the wind screen.

Your comments about the 335i vert are exactly why I went with the 135 vert along with the fact that the 335i vert is just short of 4000lbs!!! Too much for me.

I too thought the N54 engine was going to be too much for me but you'll be surprised how you get "used" to it after you drive it for awhile.

Definitely order one, you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
JHZR2
Major
Rep

we dont know that we don't like the coral red... it was just bad lighting to get a good in person feel for the color...

the other advantage to taupe is that leatherette lasts far longer and is $1450 or so cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
we dont know that we don't like the coral red... it was just bad lighting to get a good in person feel for the color...

the other advantage to taupe is that leatherette lasts far longer and is $1450 or so cheaper...
You seem to keep your cars for quite some time so your choice seems very prudent.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I also recommend getting the rear wind screen so you can drive it top down in fairly cool weather. I had it down recently in below 50 degree weather and it was fine with the wind screen.
I do not see that on the list. Is that an accessory bought at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I also replaced my 318i with a 1. My mind was basically made up for me as soon as I nosed the 135i demo car onto 202 and hit the gas. I might have even taken a 128i over an Audi, but it would have been a tougher choice. As for the comparison with the 318i, I believe the 135i weighs about the same, but has over twice as much power so you're going from a snooze to a rocket. The 1 also has about the same amount of space in the rear as the 318i. It's narrower, but the leg room is about the same so it's about as practical once you get the passengers in.
I really liked my 3 when it was new, but I sacraficed power for economy. Well, as politically incorrect as it may be, those days are over.
      04-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Coral Red in a vert, you have to consider something. Coral Red is not the same red as in the M3 or upper models. It is not "Novillo Red" or "Dream Red" or even "Chateau Red". Coral red is "Pink/Orange" Red. That is what coral is, the color is a mix of pink and orange. It pretty much is the universal color of South Florida.

Red generally fades to pink, so in time, "Pink/Orange" Red will fade to Pink/Orange pink. Living in SoFL, I knew that as bad as I wanted red leather seats, Coral Red would not work for me

Leatherette will be more durable, especially with the cold weather environment up there.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
You're definitely gonna get that disconnected feel coming from an E30 318i....the newer BMWs lost alot of the driver-connected go-kart feel you mentioned. What isn't lost though is the overall fun and handling. They try to simulate that heavy steering in the newer cars but its just not like the old BMWs.

And no BMW out in the US now can truly give you that, "gotta keep it in the power band" fun of rowing through the gears and maintaining RPM in the M42.

Even though you order a 135i/128i, you should hang onto that M42 and chip it!
      04-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I also replaced my 318i with a 1. My mind was basically made up for me as soon as I nosed the 135i demo car onto 202 and hit the gas. I might have even taken a 128i over an Audi, but it would have been a tougher choice. As for the comparison with the 318i, I believe the 135i weighs about the same, but has over twice as much power so you're going from a snooze to a rocket. The 1 also has about the same amount of space in the rear as the 318i. It's narrower, but the leg room is about the same so it's about as practical once you get the passengers in.
I really liked my 3 when it was new, but I sacraficed power for economy. Well, as politically incorrect as it may be, those days are over.

Hitting the gas hard is fine when I want to, but not my style. Likely because my 318i is geared at 4.10 in the diff, it is pretty responsive with a light foot for day to day driving - or at least it feels that way. it is not fast, but it is responsive and willing... The 135i had that characteristic because of its torque, i suppose, compared to the 128i. Given that they were ATs, I couldnt really drive them as I do typically, as they shifted differently and operated differently.

Stepping hard on the pedal definitely brought a smile to my face, but I knew it would, as it is similar in acceleration to my brother's 3000GT VR-4 which is a similar setup displacement, turbo and power-wise.

As for the weight comparison... not even close. My E30 318i is about 2657#, where as a 135i vert is about 1000# heavier, at 3660#

When driving the 3000GT, i can get 28 MPG on the highway. I beat EPA numbers on all of our cars, so while trading economy for power, I think Ill still be OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
Even though you order a 135i/128i, you should hang onto that M42 and chip it!
That's the general idea, but it doesnt fly as well with the wife...

Too many cars in the driveway makes her unhappy...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is a dealer accessory. Check the pricing over at United BMW online (where I bought mine) and make sure the dealer isn't ripping you off like mine tried to. Even having it shipped up to Canada with duty, brokerage and shipping it was still 40% cheaper.

And, Coral Red is not pink/orange. It is a very bright red though.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
JHZR2
Major
Rep

see, bright red is wht we thought, but in the lighting at the dealer (outside, not the best at night), it didnt look as we expected... this was the issue.

Daytime will make the determination... as will $1450 or so difference
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
the M sport package on the 135 is a definite must.
Agreed. The double spoke 261's are gorgeous, and for the coupe the anthracite headliner is extremly pleasing to the eye.

Quote:
I would prefer a normal key. I find the key device more annoying than anything.
Ditto. I'm no fan of the button start nor when mated to Comfort Access. One gimmick I'd prefer to do without, but what can you say. We're stuck with it.
Quote:
the steering is heavy. With the M steering wheel, it feels meaty and up to the task, but Im not sure if the heft of the steering is good or bad. It does make you feel solid and stable, but it may not be as convenient for fast steering navigating cities, parking, etc.
Personally, I like nicely weighted wheels. Coming from a ZHP the transition to the einser's wheel was seemless. As far as navigating in tight areas you may want to consider the Active Steering option. Not my bag, but it may be what you're looking for, albeit at a bit of a premium price-wise.

Quote:
the car is loud at startup.
Guess that depends on your frame of reference. For me its exhaust note is a lot more subtle than the daily driver R32. I'm thinking of ramping the 135i up, if just a bit.

Quote:
I was sold on white, and own too many silver cars... but the cashmere silver metallic with black top has grown on me/us. Also, we saw some coral red interiors, and while they look awesome in daytime pictures, it did not strike us as what we had expected in the nighttime... More research is necessary, as we really liked the taupe interior, black top and cashmere exterior setup.
Huge fan of the Coral red, but then I'm more than a bit biased as I'm just one car removed from a Tanin red leather 330Cic. If I were getting anything other then Le Mans blue I would be making my selection inside first with coral red, after which I'd match the exterior to it. It's a classic sports car red and is in no way garish looking nor pink, so the 'coral' naming convention is really a caricature of the actual color as executed in the einser.

As far as Cashmere and taupe in concert together, well, my opinion is that it looks too monotone to me. Not a lot of contrast, and way conservative looking for a vert; but you (or others) may like that. To my way of thinking a vert is like a roadster, and it's almost expected to be a bit provocative and bold.

Quote:
My practical side still really likes leatherette over leather.
I've had 'ette before, in my '91 E30 318is. It was easy maintenance, and virtually indestructible. But I will always chose leather because it looks, feels and smells soooo much better. Treat it every 4-6 months with a conditioner and you're golden. Other than heated front seats it's the only other luxury option I will always check the box on. But if you really want to go with taupe in 'ette, then you may want to consider Blue water metallic. I was a bit skeptical at first, but after seeing it in person it's a pretty color.

You've still got some homework and scoping of vehicles to do, so it's a good thing you've started early. Unfortunately, even after you think you've decided you'll probably still have doubts about one thing or another. And if you can't come up with any doubts on your own, then just leave that to us on the board to create a few for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Well, I hav an E30 318i that I love, but is showing signs of rust... I wanted something similar size, maybe a step up in performance, etc.
Nice! I came to the 135 from a E30 318is and I love it! The cars are basically the same size inside and out and the general feel is similar, but of course 20 years of tire, suspension, and engine technology make the 1er all that much better to drive all around.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Yes. BMW calls them "Convertible Wind Deflectors" and they list for around $400~500, depending on model. Personally, I'm on my 3rd BMW 'vert & haven't yet felt the need for one.

Regarding the noise at startup, some 1ers came thru with a sound deadening pad under the hood and some didn't. (This may or may not be the cause of the noise you heard.)

Naturally, the color choice is subjective - mine is Cashmere Silver/Coral Red, but with the "Moonlight Black" top which adds a bit of class, IMHO.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:

-I would prefer a normal key. I find the key device more annoying than anything.

-I do not particularly like the disconnected, non-mechanical feel of things such as the start button and the turn signal stalk.
The fob-style key and start button aren't unique to the 1-Series. More and more car manufacturers are making them. And you get used to it much faster than you think. When I rent cars now, I find myself trying to put the remote in the dash.

amy!
Appreciate 0