E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Will battery die if car inactive for 2 weeks?

07-10-2005, 04:23 AM   #1
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Will battery die if car inactive for 2 weeks?

Hi guys,
Just posted the same question at bimmerfest forum as well, but here's the question:

I will be leaving town for 2 weeks straight. I read somewhere that BMW are meant to be driven every couple of days or the battery will be drained. Something to do with all the I-drive electronics or stuff thingy-hicky (not very technical sorry!) So if I leave for that long, do I come home and be greeted with a dead car that won't start? I also heard that it may be dangerous to jumpstart a car, that it will damage the sensitive electronics, but rather I should invest in a battery charger.

So, what should I do to prep my car before leaving?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The E90 includes a Intelegent Battery Sensor, should the battery drain down to a level where there is just enough pwer to start the engine left, the system will cut off all sources requiring power untill you put the key in the car

So you will always have enough power to start the car

But it shouldnt drain that far down in just 2 weeks

Just take the car for a nice long drive before you leave to make shure the battery is totally full when you leave
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

although it is not the same, i have left my e36 and e46 in my garage for about 2 weeks a few times while my family and i went on holidays.

i had no trouble starting the car after that time.

i trust it will be the same for the e90.

enjoy your time away.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
The E90 includes a Intelegent Battery Sensor, should the battery drain down to a level where there is just enough pwer to start the engine left, the system will cut off all sources requiring power untill you put the key in the car

Just take the car for a nice long drive before you leave to make shure the battery is totally full when you leave
Really? That's so cool!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet

Remember though when Nathan had to use BMW Assist when his battery was drained from leaving his parking lights on? Does the battery sensor only detect certain components being on? Here's the thread if you don't remember.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Leaving an a trip for 8 weeks...same rules apply? Would it be wise to disconnect the battery?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
Remember though when Nathan had to use BMW Assist when his battery was drained from leaving his parking lights on? Does the battery sensor only detect certain components being on? Here's the thread if you don't remember.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399
Think it only works when the car has been totally switched off and locked, leaving the lights on makes the car think you need them on

Will try and find out more
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
Leaving an a trip for 8 weeks...same rules apply? Would it be wise to disconnect the battery?
8 weeks is a long time, i would disconnect
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

If they actually have this battery saver technology, it doesn't work very well. I showed up at my dealer a few weeks ago to test drive a 330, and he said we couldn't drive it because the battery was dead. Apparently it had been sitting in the show room and not been driven in a while.
They tried to quick-charge it, and that failed to. I ended up coming back the next day - he said they ended up putting a new battery in.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

i let my e30 sit for over 4 weeks when we were on vacation, and it started right up!!
if you disconect wouldent you have to put in a code somewhere to get the radio or something workin?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
freeman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster

Arrow

i think you will be fine,just make sure the battery is fully charged before you leave.
I once left my E46 in my garage for 3 months when I were on vacation.when i came back,it started right away.I also checked tire pressure,the result is perfectly normal .so you really don't have to worry about anything.just enjoy your vacation. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely take the car out for a nice long drive before leaving..

I think I read somewhere in the car manual about not putting the car into "Park" but rather put it in "Drive" when parking the car for extended periods of time. Not sure if this is necessary... although in Park, there's an amber LED right next to the P that stays on..

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

Easy way to disconnect battery

What is the best way to disconnect the battery.

Why BMW and other car companies don't place a switch near the battery to disconnect it without removing any cables.

This also would be helpful when you need to repair something in the car.

Also it could be nice to have a display near the battery to see how much percentage the battery have, that display could be nicer in the main display, but a mini display near the battery would be helpful in some cases and very cheap for car companies, right now if your battery is very low on power, you can't know how much battery power is left.

Also I don't understand why the car companies don't place a monitor to check the percentage of the battery to avoid not starting the car, when the battery is less than 60% or the needed amount of power to start the car, then all the accessories stop working, why would anyone wants to leave the lights of their cars until the car won't start, or hear the radio for long hours without turning on the engine?

The only car company that thinks in this problem is Rolls Royce, they place two batteries on their cars to avoid not starting the car if you leave the lights or hear the radio for long hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
wk
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

My damn E90 has its battery drained mysteriously (no lights on, car properly locked) within 7 hours. Only 400 miles!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

evoq MBZ also has 2 batteries on some of their higher models...

I just left my e90 for 2 weeks without moving.. no problem on start up

but i dont have comfort access, that to me would drain the most for sitting... and i dont have the alarm with the blinking lights.

~fk
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 10:08 PM   #16
wk
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Mine has both comfort access AND alarm.
But car was only parked for 7 hours before battery went dead.
No, no lights on and iDrive was off as the car was locked from outside.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #17
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
I can safely tell you that I put my baby on ice for the more than 8 weeks without turning it on and it was fine.

Fee
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
Why BMW and other car companies don't place a switch near the battery to disconnect it without removing any cables.

This also would be helpful when you need to repair something in the car.
because disconnecting is not a hard job at all and u probably want to make sure there's absolutely no electricity going thru. think of it this way. is it safer to immerse an electric appliance in water with the plug off or with the the plug in and switch off.

anyway back on topic, i've left my previous car over 3 months and it started without a problem. i don't think u have anything to worry about at all.
Appreciate 0