BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

yer, noticed the front fog light thing which is good because fog lights suck

Does the 125 have silver/chrome trim around the windows? or do both have the black chrome?
      06-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #24
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

125 comes with silver window trim but can get shadow trim with M upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #25
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i sapphire black

In Malaysia you see all types of label modification happening. On my recent trip there I saw:

About a hundred Proton Wiras modded to look like lancer evos
A Wira with M badge
A "Type R" Perodua Kancil

Pretty hilarious
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgamman View Post
In Malaysia you see all types of label modification happening. On my recent trip there I saw:

A Wira with M badge

Pretty hilarious
Yeah KL had some of the funniest cars I'd seen, until I travelled to Southern Chile & got to spot all sorts of cars - including Ladas, with huge rear wings that often are inclined the wrong way & actually would give upforce rather than downforce on the rear end!! Maybe they drive in reverse to gain the downforce?
      06-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Was followed by a very nice looking blue M3 sedan this morning along Sherwood Rd (0030 hrs, working late shifts commissioning this weekend). Only two people in the car but headlights were pointing way high into my mirrors. I thought they'd be auto adjusting. Our xenons are aren't they? By the way, the halogen high beam in the Falcon I was driving home seems to be much better than my 135's. Any way to improve the xenons? Can the wattage (35W?) be upped?
      06-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgamman View Post

A Wira with M badge

Pretty hilarious
That actually probably not as bad, because it is obviously on a wrong car. May be, one day, I should get both an AMG and a M, and swap the badge around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Yeah KL had some of the funniest cars I'd seen, until I travelled to Southern Chile & got to spot all sorts of cars - including Ladas, with huge rear wings that often are inclined the wrong way & actually would give upforce rather than downforce on the rear end!! Maybe they drive in reverse to gain the downforce?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #29
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I go to KL quite often (grew up there too!) and the car scene there is interesting. Cars are so expensive there so most people rice up their cheapo mobile. Some can be quite tasteful but more often than not it isn't. Lol

Anyway today I drove the real thing, the M3 sedan DCT. Prof (his car) and I took the car to some long flowing twisties and I drove it around a few times. Given I own a highly modded 135i and a C63 (stock standard), it serves as an interesting comparison. Against both my 135i and C63, the M3 feels very slow on low revs. So around town, you will feel like you are driving a standard 135i auto in terms of the torque. But once it gets over 5500rpm, it just screams! Suddenly all the power comes alive and it is so much fun to drive! The steering weighting and feel is spot on with the M mode, but not quite the level of the Porsches out there. The DCT is an impressive piece of kit! At low speed, it drives like a very quick shifting auto, but on M-mode and driving aggresively, it gives an aggresive shove in the back each time it shifts, much more like say the F1 or E-gear from Ferrari and Lambo. The handling and grip is blardy impressive for a stock car. I drove in the wet with traction control off and it took a lot to provoke the back to move. All in all, a very tasty and impressive piece of kit as a standard car! Much more sporty than a C63 in feel, but C63 is a much faster car around town due to the 600nm of torque. I can see that the M3 will be a much faster track car than the C63 though.

Anyway Prof, if you read this, congrats on the great car. I love it, and thanks for the experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #30
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I go to KL quite often (grew up there too!) and the car scene there is interesting. Cars are so expensive there so most people rice up their cheapo mobile. Some can be quite tasteful but more often than not it isn't. Lol

Anyway today I drove the real thing, the M3 sedan DCT. Prof (his car) and I took the car to some long flowing twisties and I drove it around a few times. Given I own a highly modded 135i and a C63 (stock standard), it serves as an interesting comparison. Against both my 135i and C63, the M3 feels very slow on low revs. So around town, you will feel like you are driving a standard 135i auto in terms of the torque. But once it gets over 5500rpm, it just screams! Suddenly all the power comes alive and it is so much fun to drive! The steering weighting and feel is spot on with the M mode, but not quite the level of the Porsches out there. The DCT is an impressive piece of kit! At low speed, it drives like a very quick shifting auto, but on M-mode and driving aggresively, it gives an aggresive shove in the back each time it shifts, much more like say the F1 or E-gear from Ferrari and Lambo. The handling and grip is blardy impressive for a stock car. I drove in the wet with traction control off and it took a lot to provoke the back to move. All in all, a very tasty and impressive piece of kit as a standard car! Much more sporty than a C63 in feel, but C63 is a much faster car around town due to the 600nm of torque. I can see that the M3 will be a much faster track car than the C63 though.

Anyway Prof, if you read this, congrats on the great car. I love it, and thanks for the experience.
I'd be interested to know what the M-drive settings were/are.

Top Gear showed that the M3 runs rings around the C63 on the track - but can't match the balls out grunt of the 6.2 litre V8.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #31
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
So around town, you will feel like you are driving a standard 135i auto in terms of the torque.... I can see that the M3 will be a much faster track car than the C63 though.
Hey! You can't compare my car with the M3!

Prof I wanna drive to compare
      06-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #32
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
I'd be interested to know what the M-drive settings were/are.

Top Gear showed that the M3 runs rings around the C63 on the track - but can't match the balls out grunt of the 6.2 litre V8.
Prof had it set to the highest level for everything and MDM for the traction control. We then turn off the traction control completely. I didn't like the Sports plus throttle, as it is too sudden and jerky when you roll off throttle and it unsettles the car at the limit say if you need to modulate it going around a turn. So I had him changed that to sport. That is how I would have my M-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #33
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Hey! You can't compare my car with the M3!

Prof I wanna drive to compare
All I can say is, with your pathologist salary, you should have bought an M3. It's only double the price. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #34
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hang on, AMK, you also got a M3? So that means there are at least 3 members with a 1 series and a M3! (Prof still has a 130i which was purchased after his 135i). Is this a good combo or something? Taka, get your act together! Maybe I should switch from the C63 to a M3 too. I would if they made a wagon as I am thinking of switching my C63 sedan to a wagon!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #35
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Prof had it set to the highest level for everything and MDM for the traction control. We then turn off the traction control completely. I didn't like the Sports plus throttle, as it is too sudden and jerky when you roll off throttle and it unsettles the car at the limit say if you need to modulate it going around a turn. So I had him changed that to sport. That is how I would have my M-Drive.
WAY, at any time did you notice a lag with the DCT after slowing down then accelerating eg when turning a corner?

It's something that is hotly debated on the M3post forum.

Not so noticeable in sequential mode though, apparently.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #36
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hang on, AMK, you also got a M3? So that means there are at least 3 members with a 1 series and a M3! (Prof still has a 130i which was purchased after his 135i). Is this a good combo or something? Taka, get your act together! Maybe I should switch from the C63 to a M3 too. I would if they made a wagon as I am thinking of switching my C63 sedan to a wagon!
Yup...actually it's still on a freight train somewhere between Melbourne and Perth. It's a Space Grey 09 E90 M3 sedan with MDCT, EDC, M-drive, 19" wheels, I posted a pic on this thread earlier. Can't wait to get it this weekend!!

I look at it as stimulating the economy and taking advantage of the 30% tax break for business that ends on 30 June!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #37
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
WAY, at any time did you notice a lag with the DCT after slowing down then accelerating eg when turning a corner?

It's something that is hotly debated on the M3post forum.

Not so noticeable in sequential mode though, apparently.
Don't know. I didn't really drive it on auto mode other than when we drove in the city while warming up the car and I was gentle so have no clue if there was a lag or not. But I don't know what people bitch about anyway. If there is a lag, step on the throttle harder or earlier if you know there is gonna be a lag. Amatuers. I think I know what they mean anyway, cos it was the same with the DSG (and also common on F1 and E-gear). It feels like the car hasn't engaged into the gear so there is a momentary lag. The solution is to steep harder (sharper action) on the gas pedal. It works on DSG, F1 and E-gear, so it may work on the M car too.

As for your car, I just went back to the first page and there it was. VERY NICE! Colour suits it, as does the metallic black on Prof's car. Congrats and enjoy it in good health.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #38
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Congrats and enjoy it in good health.
Thanks mate! Can't wait for the next track day!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #39
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Colour suits it, as does the metallic black on Prof's car.
The Prof's Jerez Black wasn't from Doncaster BMW was it?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Taka, get your act together! Maybe I should switch from the C63 to a M3 too. I would if they made a wagon as I am thinking of switching my C63 sedan to a wagon!
I will eventually

If I want it white with Corel red leather I would have to wait another 6 months ... I am counting down the day I pay off my mortgage .

Do you know how much I spent on the house already?
      06-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #41
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I did a dozen or so laps in the M3 with double clutch at Eastern Creek recently (as did Sprey) and it was fookin awesome. Not worth double the $$ than a 135 though. However I would consider one for the four doors. I actually saw the light blue one yesterday and thought it looked great.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

And yet another ///M badged car... This time for sale in Melbourne on EBay..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #43
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
Frankly, I dont' see what a deal with ///M is. After all its just a symbol of BMW Motorsport.
also, quote from WIKI:

M-Cars vs. M-badged cars
There are several BMW models which BMW Motorsport made changes on, without them becoming full M-Cars. Vehicles which have been modified by BMW Motorsport, but are not full M-Cars, may feature plain "M" badges with no number, whilst full M-Cars will have "M" badges with the model number (e.g. "M3" or "M5").

I had "MPS" on my mazda3, was the only MPS Mazda3 sedan in the world!

cheers
      06-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #44
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.bmw View Post
I had "MPS" on my mazda3, was the only MPS Mazda3 sedan in the world!
Man you need help

I am very tempted to put the ///M badge just for you guys to talk about me.