BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #89
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
Sorry if it inflamed the thread but honestly no-one is going to give a crap about the 128i, 135i or the 135is. To think that because the 128i is last NA that it will stand out in the annals of BMW history is just ludicrous.
I don't think the 128i will stand out in the big picture over time, but I would say at this moment it is the last "nostalgic" BMW available.

BMW's build their reputation in the last 20 or so years on a NA I-6, great steering feel (i.e. hydraulic steering), near 50:50 weight distribution, which describe the 128i. While turbos usually mean big HP, they also mean reduced reliability and added maintenance nightmares (direct injection as well) to many and to avoid if you keep the car past warranty.

So I think several are right here and the car is not comparable to the older M cars, but in context of the future direction of BMW cars, it definitely is the last of a dying breed of BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #90
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #91
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Just to be clear what I mean by"last man standing" is the last car with a naturally aspirated i-6 of "good old days". No other meaning or whatsoever within this thread.

So, whether the 128i is a significant car or not (in your opinion, it is not) or you think highly of it or not (apparently you don't), it is still a hard and cold fact that the 128i is the last car with a naturally aspirted i-6 (thus, "last man standing"). Unless, of course, BMW decides to resume making more cars with such engines. Sure, if the 128i is talked about in the future at all, it could be probably just out of nostalgia. If the the car is a significant and deserves a special attention for that reason alone is totally debatable.
Unless I interpreted your original post to start off tis thread that is not what you said at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Or will it be just a lesser BMW only for a 'fun fact' trivia?

I am wondering if 128i will become a significant model (as the last car with a naturally aspirated I-6) when talking about the history of BMW in the future or it will be a car people barely remember that has existed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #92
TripleThreat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post

So you are not referring to the car, but the engine..?

BTW, bmw still makes inline 6s.. they just have way moAr hp and efficiency due to having a turbo. I understand your nostalgia, but NA is nothing to brag about.. my 1986 e30 was NA.

Again, the 128i won't be talked about, the N52 will.

I am saying the 128i is the last car with a naturally aspirated i-6, thus the last man standing. If that sounds too manly for you for a lowly 128i, I can rephrase it to "the last car to carry the torch". I understand it is purely by coinsidence. And my thread was to debate if that is something people will talk about or people will just forget the very existence (as it seems to be the case even now). I respect your opinion that it is nothing to brag about, but I had to correct your misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #93
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
^^^ This

or

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #94
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
I think the 135i will be remembered as being a performance bargain with a very high level of performance.

V-6 pony cars put out similar numbers for less & v-8 pony cars have better performance for the same price.

BMW & bargain are mutually exclusive.

The 128 will probably be a historical footnote.

FYI - for a lot of people (in the U.S.) 1 series = too cheap to afford 3 series (hence the upcoming 320i).
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #95
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Definitely a cute car, but don't think it will go down in history. But I have to say that for a chick car, it's fun as hell to drive (the 135i).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #96
KrisM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '10 LMB 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Definitely a cute car, but don't think it will go down in history. But I have to say that for a chick car, it's fun as hell to drive (the 135i).
Even more when it's tuned. To the whole chick car thing, some of us want a smaller feeling car then the current 3 series.
      05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #97
mla00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

128i Coupe Drivetrain

I have a 2012 128i coupe with at least 9,000 miles. Bought it brand new 11 month ago but for the last 4 weeks there was this squeaking noise when accelerating and backing up. Took it to the dealership twice before they finally figured out what's wrong with it. They told me that they have to replace a part of the drivetrain. Now I am really concerned that in the future something will go wrong with the transmission. Is this common with the 1 series? What should I do? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #98
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla00 View Post
I have a 2012 128i coupe with at least 9,000 miles. Bought it brand new 11 month ago but for the last 4 weeks there was this squeaking noise when accelerating and backing up. Took it to the dealership twice before they finally figured out what's wrong with it. They told me that they have to replace a part of the drivetrain. Now I am really concerned that in the future something will go wrong with the transmission. Is this common with the 1 series? What should I do? Thanks!
Why didn't you just start a new thread? And which "part of the drivetrain" needing replacing? That's pretty vague.
      05-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #99
mla00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

It won't let me start a new thread since I am a newbie!
They have to replace the drive shaft.

Last edited by mla00; 05-16-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #100
drcollie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 'Vert '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla00 View Post
It won't let me start a new thread since I am a newbie!
They have to replace the drive shaft.
It's a machine. All machines break or need new parts. A drive shaft is not a transmission and you've still got plenty of warranty left, don't be concerned - there is no such thing as a perfect machine.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #101
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I don't think the 128i will stand out in the big picture over time, but I would say at this moment it is the last "nostalgic" BMW available.

BMW's build their reputation in the last 20 or so years on a NA I-6, great steering feel (i.e. hydraulic steering), near 50:50 weight distribution, which describe the 128i. While turbos usually mean big HP, they also mean reduced reliability and added maintenance nightmares (direct injection as well) to many and to avoid if you keep the car past warranty.

So I think several are right here and the car is not comparable to the older M cars, but in context of the future direction of BMW cars, it definitely is the last of a dying breed of BMW's.
Spot on.

This discussion has nothing to do with M cars and everything to do with the general cars BMW used to build. From a perspective of driving dynamics, the 128i represents everything BMW has been working on for the last 30 years wrapped up in one car. That means NA, inline 6, 50/50 weight balance, a perfect manual transmission, RWD, excellent feedback from the control surfaces, and reasonable practicality.

It's not just a few of us on the forum either. The old guard like Mike Miller have seen the writing on the wall for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post

So you are not referring to the car, but the engine..?

BTW, bmw still makes inline 6s.. they just have way moAr hp and efficiency due to having a turbo. I understand your nostalgia, but NA is nothing to brag about.. my 1986 e30 was NA.

Again, the 128i won't be talked about, the N52 will.
128i is far and away the best platform for the N52, so I see no reason why it won't be the complete car.
      05-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #102
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Or will it be just a lesser BMW only for a 'fun fact' trivia?

Just ordered one, but it has been only less than two weeks and the waiting is killing me now.

I am wondering if 128i will become a significant model (as the last car with a naturally aspirated I-6) when talking about the history of BMW in the future or it will be a car people barely remember that has existed.
I'm going to remember it because it was my first BMW and the first car I was able to buy outright. It was a lot of firsts for me: first rear wheel drive car, first manual, first six cylinder engine (and a smooth one at that). I get where the whole "the 135i has more power so it must be better" argument comes from but regardless I love my 128i. I will remember it even if no one else does and thats all that matters to me.

Now I'm going to go drive it and enjoy and come back to read this thread when its a peaceful discussion between car enthusiasts instead of a hate war between a few members of the 128i vs 135i to the death crowd.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #103
mindomission
Rep
Drives: 128i vert

Agree with Lucky1. Many "first"s for me as well. First BMW, First vert, first I6, first 2dr sport coupe. Have loved BMW since I drove past a dealership in Newport Beach everyday in 1982, where they had a yellow 318i on the lot that I knew I would NEVER be able to afford. Next month we take delivery on a 128i and couldn't be more filled with anticipation. I often think the whole driving experience that BMW's offer is shrouded by the illusion that higher quality cars are more expensive to maintain, and thus avoided altogether. I have seen 2 different 1 series on the road in the last 3 years. That puts you all in fairly exclusive company here, IMHO. Perhaps not so good in terms of popularity, and in the "not remembering its existence" category. It's history and lineage speaks for itself. Collectible, noteworthy, desireable? A painter only becomes famous after his passing. Time will tell.

Like an astronaut, no one else really knows what it's like to leave the earth's orbit. You who own 1's and those you have shared with in owning one, are a relatively small lot. I will be proud to own my 128i and revel in the nostalgia of owning "The last man standing". We all should. Thanks for this post. Entertaining and informative. However, if the childish behavior displayed here is typical of some owners, I won't be joining 1er clubs anytime soon. Who's material possessions are better than who's is the particular reason why I don't attend class reunions.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #104
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I love the 128.... but sorry it won't be 'remembered' for much. maybe as an entry level coupe in NA.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #105
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

The Z3 and 318ti were the last of the (US) 4 cyl BMWs, until they came out with the recent ones - perhaps the same will happen with the I6? If/when the price of gas drops, I would expect they will go back to it.

BTW - I drove a 320 last weekend. It was truly awful, IMO. Thin, cheap steering wheel, no power, no suspension - felt like a cheap rent car. The only thing that didn't feel cheap was the window sticker...
      08-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #106
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Even more when it's tuned. To the whole chick car thing, some of us want a smaller feeling car then the current 3 series.
the current 3 series is a god damn boat. just let the stupid thread die.