BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

M-Sport Dead Pedal

Was farting around in the pedal box this weekend, and lost a pin behind the driver's side front carpet/foam/insulation.
Removed upper and side panels, but still couldn't get the carpet up.
I found a DIY for removal of the M-Sport Foot Rest Trim / Dead Pedal (51477906851) which said get near the pins and Pull. So I did.

All 4 pins broke.

It's just a plastic dead pedal in aluminum-look trim with rubber nubs in the middle. But it secures from behind with some metal clips that slip over the pins. I managed to shake 3 of the 4 broken pins out, but doubt I could get my hand in there to re-install.

But my big problem is the $30 original pedal trim has been replaced with P/N 51477906850 which costs over $150! For a plastic dead pedal cover!

I do see the $6 (RealOEM) Non-M cover (51477120416) available for about $30 from various sources. But it's not stock and kinda ugly. Looks like it has an extra pin, too.

I thought the M-Perf Aluminum cover was kinda ridiculous at $80. But at half the price of the plastic one, it's looking tempting. Except it installs via screws, which most people (it seems) put right through the still-installed plastic one. Well, clearly, that won't work for me.
So,

Can I get an aftermarket aluminum dead pedal to fasten to the factory carpet?
Am I doing something wrong and is the M-Sport piece available for less than its weight in gold somewhere?

Other suggestions?
Right now, I have no cover in place. But the box is still shaped just fine.

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 04-26-2022 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Still can't bring myself to drop $150 on this piece of plastic. Don't know how I'd secure the base non-M one.

Decided to epoxy some tapered slightly oversize pins in Stock locations, and lay some industrial velcro down on the bottom.
Hopefully that will hold it.

I spent 20 minutes cleaning it up tonight. Original owner never peeled off protective plastic so it peeled in some places and stuck in others. Has been ugly as long as I've owned it.

For my own edification I'll probably post opinions of my solution here once done.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Still can't bring myself to drop $150 on this piece of plastic. Don't know how I'd secure the base non-M one.

Decided to epoxy some tapered slightly oversize pins in Stock locations, and lay some industrial velcro down on the bottom.
Hopefully that will hold it.

I spent 20 minutes cleaning it up tonight. Original owner never peeled off protective plastic so it peeled in some places and stuck in others. Has been ugly as long as I've owned it.

For my own edification I'll probably post opinions of my solution here once done.
You can buy replica ones from some of the retailers here. They are not likely an OEM fit but should work.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

I got some nurserts sized to match the holes in the floor. Going to epoxy them to the stock locations on the bottom of the pedal to secure fore and aft. Then add some industrial velcro to hold it down.

If that doesn't work I'll search for a replica or get the black one and an aftermarket metal screw-down.

But I think I can get the busted factory one to work.
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

3 of the 4 epoxied-in nutserts unhinged themselves from the pedal plate. Not entirely sure if JB Weld isn't great for ABS, if I didn't smooth it out and rough it up enough, or if I just have trouble making a 50/50 mix. But, since 1 worked, it probably isn't the first...

Anyway, with one stud locating it, the lower IP locking it in, and some industrial velcro holding it down - it seems to be okay. Though the industrial velcro was kinda slippy against the carpet in that location. I wonder if there's another that would be better. I don't really want to stick the loop part down with adhesive, and was hoping the hooks would be enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick
3 of the 4 epoxied-in nutserts unhinged themselves from the pedal plate. Not entirely sure if JB Weld isn't great for ABS, if I didn't smooth it out and rough it up enough, or if I just have trouble making a 50/50 mix. But, since 1 worked, it probably isn't the first...

Anyway, with one stud locating it, the lower IP locking it in, and some industrial velcro holding it down - it seems to be okay. Though the industrial velcro was kinda slippy against the carpet in that location. I wonder if there's another that would be better. I don't really want to stick the loop part down with adhesive, and was hoping the hooks would be enough.
You could always mechanically fasten it as well.

Get some nice looking hex bolt hardware or flush mounting hardware, drill 4 holes and bolt it through the base.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
You could always mechanically fasten it as well.

Get some nice looking hex bolt hardware or flush mounting hardware, drill 4 holes and bolt it through the base.
Was trying to avoid drilling new holes but if it doesn't hold that's probably the way I'll go. I should be able to countetsink it pretty accurately on the drill press.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Installing UCP today, the dead pedal became totally unhinged.
Final J-B Welded-on nutsert broke free. I think that stuff doesn't like ABS plastic.
Regardless, it's MUCH easier to work/cut/drill than the thin sheet of stainless steel on the front of the footrest.\\Drilling these things was much harder than I anticipated. The SS cover is actually a sheet, not a foil. Couldn't find the cutting fluid in the rat's nest which is my garage at the moment. Used a touch of chain lube. Steel got red-hot before the bit finally broke through.

I don't have any nice-looking hardware yet, but had some acceptable stainless 1/4-20 bolts to affix it to the nutserts.

Holding great, but looks a little rough, to me.
Appreciate 0