BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
craig66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Trading in a new car for a newer car?

As a lurker I always read with interest how a poster unhappy with their car or just wanting something a little different has traded in an almost new car for a newer car. When buying a new car I am always floored bythe fees and taxes and deals (or sometimes lack thereof) and I guess I am wondering how easily this is achieved. Even a BMW loses significant value within a couple of 100 miles of bieng driven out of the dealer and so how is this feat achieved?

Curious if anyone has any experience

Thanks

Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Not sure exactly what you are asking. You will certainly lose money by trading a new car for a newer one. Once a car has been titled and driven it loses significant value compared to a brand new car. If you are asking if its possible to do this without losing money then the answer is probably no.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

If you can really fight the urge don't buy a new vehicle...wait until it's at least one or two years old...two if you can stand it. That first year or two is when the car takes the biggest hit.

Those of us that just can't wait, have to have it now...we get our asses kicked just about all the time and expect to take the hit if we sell or trade within two years. It's great fun to have the newest thing but try to pay cash if at all possible and the hit doesn't seem so hard.

Call
      02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig66 View Post
As a lurker I always read with interest how a poster unhappy with their car or just wanting something a little different has traded in an almost new car for a newer car. When buying a new car I am always floored bythe fees and taxes and deals (or sometimes lack thereof) and I guess I am wondering how easily this is achieved. Even a BMW loses significant value within a couple of 100 miles of bieng driven out of the dealer and so how is this feat achieved?

Curious if anyone has any experience

Thanks

Craig
I don't recall more than one or two 1 series buyers on this board reporting that they traded their nearly new cars in. (IIRC, someone purchased a 135i coupe and then decided he wanted a 135i 'vert - or vice-versa.)

How old is your Z4? I waited until mine was 5 years old before trading it in on a 128i 'vert last April, and still took a hit because the Z isn't a particularly desirable model these days - but I got 5 years of enjoyment out of it!
Tom
Appreciate 0