BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
It'sNotTurboTime
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Koni Special Active racetrack performance

I've searched and searched and cannot find a good answer on how the Koni Secial active perform on track.

The back story. I recently bought a 2008 128i with Msport springs and OEM dampers of some sort. I am looking to do some track day things with this car while using it for some daily duty (most daily driving is in MK4 tdi golf). I live in Alberta with godawful roads and my wife and baby will ride in this car too.

I'd like to find a nice balance of improved ride quality with some good behavior on track. Are the Special Actives right up my alley? Or do I want the Yellows? I saw a Koni marketing video where they straight up say the SA isn't really meant for track. But in general people seem to say that they are better than stock for handling. Just that they are not valved for stiffer springs.

The video then went on to say that the Yellows are for someone looking to sacrifice some comfort for better track performance. But I don't know if that's true. My tdi has Koni Oranges and they perform better than stock while also improving comfort. Oranges and Yellows seems to have the same compression damping for a certain car, just different and adjustable rebound. SO it seems like as long as the Yellows are adjusted just right, they will improve comfort. Or is this not a fare comparisons since the golf is a completely different car?

I don't want my son to get carsick, but I wanna have fun on the track. Are Special Actives the right choice? AHHHH
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Anything is better than stock
      10-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
It'sNotTurboTime
Canada
Rep

I suppose for a more complete picture I should also say that the run flats are long gone. previous owner put some Zestino Acrova 280 TW semi slicks. and the RSFB need to be done still. I know tires and bushings are a huge part of improving the ride. (I'm wondering if the Koni SAs would make it easier to run poly bushings so that they aren't as harsh)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

I would stick to normal bushings and not Poly in the suspension, you can go Poly or other in RSFB. Koni Yellow are better suited and you can adjust damping on them to help comfort on the street, there are some that allow the rears to be adjusted without removing.

SA's are going to improve from stock but depends what your definition of track work is. if it's one event a year, maybe two, don't sweat it, just get SA's and focus on improving your driving rather than improving the car.

If you're a track rat and you'll do 10 events, don't get SA's they are a compromise (or more of a compromise than most)....

It's all a spectrum and depends....you're not going to get a definitive answer here honestly.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Don't let polyurethane touch your suspension. Use M3 parts and I recommend solid aluminum subframe "bushings".

For dampers on this chassis I'd go with Bilstein b6/8. Solid reliable repeatable. I installed the Special Actives on my X5D. I wouldn't use them on my 1er.
      10-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
It'sNotTurboTime
Canada
Rep

How did you find the SAs were on your X5? I know completely different animal, but I've heard some people say it was this night and day difference (especially mini owners seem to love them from what I read).

I think deep down I know the yellows are the way to go. It's just the SA technology seems really cool and it makes me want it haha. Part of me was just hoping someone would chime in and say "yeah they're great on an entry level track car". F1 tech developed with McLaren. Who doesn't want that on their car? When the oranges wear out on the Tdi I will for sure replace them with the SAs.
Appreciate 0