BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

throw out bearing issue

my car is an 08 with 48k miles, i still have a LITTLE bit of warranty left...

whenever i am at a complete stop, ebrake up, car in neutral, i let out on the clutch and you can hear it making some noise... (throw out bearing)

will a dealer replace that under warranty?

also, my active headlights are only turning to the right and not to the left is that a common issue? would a dealer cover that under warranty as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

If the noise occurs when the clutch is out (foot off the pedal), it's your flywheel, not your throwout bearing.
      04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
If the noise occurs when the clutch is out (foot off the pedal), it's your flywheel, not your throwout bearing.
hmm i believe thats incorrect
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
hmm i believe thats incorrect
Care to elaborate?
      04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
entendu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Lots

Quote:
also, my active headlights are only turning to the right and not to the left is that a common issue? would a dealer cover that under warranty as well?
It's so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post
it used to turn to the left?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
no, mine turns to the left too
      04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

When you don't have the cluth pushed in the throwout bearing is sitting "idle" and assuming everything is adjusted correctly will not be touching anything and will make no noise. If it made noise when you pushed the clutch it that could be the throw out bearing. Not a BMW tech but if it were an older Honda the first thing I would thing of is the trans front bearing. So at this point there's several places you could start finger pointing, pilot bearing, trans front bearing, clutch disk.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
entendu
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
no, mine turns to the left too

See also this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...64#post6067824

Make sure you're checking while you're driving, not at a standstill or driving slowly...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, dealer will cover the adaptive light under warranty unless you screwed them up. I had my drivers side replaced under warranty. GL.

FYI...do it soon because they are very expensive out of pocket!

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
When you don't have the cluth pushed in the throwout bearing is sitting "idle" and assuming everything is adjusted correctly will not be touching anything and will make no noise. If it made noise when you pushed the clutch it that could be the throw out bearing. Not a BMW tech but if it were an older Honda the first thing I would thing of is the trans front bearing. So at this point there's several places you could start finger pointing, pilot bearing, trans front bearing, clutch disk.

ive always been told that if the clutch is out(foot not on pedal)
and you hear a grinding noise, its the TO bearing.. i had a 06 rsx type s that literally made this same exact noise, under the same circumstances, and sure enough, it was the TO bearing causing the issue... im fairly versed in automotive diag/repair... but my original question was if our warranty covers this, or if this part falls under a "normal wear and tear" part like a clutch disk
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:

Make sure you're checking while you're driving, not at a standstill or driving slowly...
That only talks about the cornering light.

The adaptive headlight points the beam left and right. You can see this doing slow drives on a street and steering left and right.

Not aware of whether left is less than right - I think they're about equal in low speed. High speed maybe it only turns 20%.
      04-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ive always been told that if the clutch is out(foot not on pedal)
and you hear a grinding noise, its the TO bearing.. i had a 06 rsx type s that literally made this same exact noise, under the same circumstances, and sure enough, it was the TO bearing causing the issue... im fairly versed in automotive diag/repair... but my original question was if our warranty covers this, or if this part falls under a "normal wear and tear" part like a clutch disk
Again when foot is not on pedal the throw out bearing is not against the pressure place therefore not spinning and not able to make a bad bearing noise. In any case it sounds like something is wearing out prematurely and I would think would be covered by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

throw out bearing was the issue, will be replaced under warranty...

and also the headlight assembly was messed up and will be replaced under warranty.. along with a complimentary oil change... couldnt be happier with the service!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
entendu
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
That only talks about the cornering light.
Wat? Did you miss the two giant headings called "Adaptive Head Lights"?

Either way, it looks like something was amiss in OP's car. Let us know how long it takes to get it back, OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wat? Did you miss the two giant headings called "Adaptive Head Lights"?

Either way, it looks like something was amiss in OP's car. Let us know how long it takes to get it back, OP!
drop it off next wed at 4:30!

was the next available date for a loaner car
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
When a throw out bearing is bad, typically it reveals itself when you let out the clutch while in neutral. Then there is a rattle sound, that's a throw out bearing.

Other than badly glazing and/or warping the flywheel, which is not easy to do, you'll get a shudder when you engage the clutch. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of?
Also, when that happens it's more likely a glazed clutch before a flywheel problem. The flywheel is sturdier than the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
throw out bearing was the issue, will be replaced under warranty...

and also the headlight assembly was messed up and will be replaced under warranty.. along with a complimentary oil change... couldnt be happier with the service!
Excellent!
Sometimes BMW deserves applause, and they do here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

That's crazy I've never had a throw out bearing make noise when disengaged. At least it's covered, that's not very many miles for one to go out so soon unless somebody has a habbit of resting their foot on the clutch when driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
When a throw out bearing is bad, typically it reveals itself when you let out the clutch while in neutral. Then there is a rattle sound, that's a throw out bearing.
I don't see how that would ever be the case when there is no load on the T.O. bearing when your foot is off the pedal. The bearing is not even spinning.
      05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
deploytosave
Private First Class
Rep

dropped the car off today and all i can say is WOW.

i am getting front brakes, headlight assembly, oil change, ac recharged, drivers seat replaced, throw out bearing, AND BOTH turbos!!! along with giving me a 2012 328i to drive! FOR FREE!

this has made me a BMW customer for life... i am still in shock
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how that would ever be the case when there is no load on the T.O. bearing when your foot is off the pedal. The bearing is not even spinning.
Your thinking is sound.
However, I've had a bad/worn TOB and the symptoms were the same, when in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed there was a rattling sound.
When I pushed the clutch pedal in the noise would stop.

I think the key here is when in "neutral", and the clutch is engaged, meaning the pedal is not being pushed in.
Pushing the pedal in activates the TOB to push against pressure plate release to move the clutch away from the flywheel. At that point the TOB is under pressure and no noise.

Sitting in neutral, clutch pedal up, there is no pressure on the TOB, as the clutch is engaged and if it's a good bearing then no noise. But, if it's worn it can still rattle as the input shaft is still spinning.

Doing reading on this you find many have said that they hear a rattle when they push the pedal in. And, then there are others who say they hear the rattle when the pedal is not pushed in.
As you or the other poster said, IF everything is fine, then there SHOULD be no noise. But a bad/worn TOB isn't fine, there's something wrong with it.
That could explain why we hear/read of rattling when the pedal is depressed and when it's released.

I'll repeat this again, also for my own thinking to try and keep this straight.
I think the difference is if the trans is in neutral or in gear.
When in gear, and the pedal is depressed, the clutch separates from the flywheel. Once the trans input slows and stops there should be no noise as long as the clutch pedal is pushed in.
Once it's released the clutch contacts the flywheel and we're moving.
Perhaps we're just not hearing an loss TOB tolerance due to all the other sounds coming from the engine, trans, and car in motion.

When the car comes to a stop, the clutch pedal is pushed and the clutch disengages, trans rotations stop and no noise, as long as the pedal stays pushed in.

But, if neutral is selected, and the clutch pedal is released, the clutch is engaged to the flywheel and the trans input shaft is spinning, and if the TOB is loose, or not greased properly, it could still make a rattle sound.
Push the clutch pedal in and it puts pressure on the TOB and rattling stops.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0