BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i M-Package

ST coilovers - one side is slammed the other is high af

Hey guys,

Somewhat of a suspension noob here, but I understand the gyst of it, and have had coilovers on all my cars in the past. Never ran into this issue though.

I bought a set of lightly used ST (kw) coilovers from someone here on the forum. After the initial install, all the coils had their height set the exact same, and the drivers side is way too low, halfway wheel lock and the fender is making contact with the tire. We raised the low side by 6 or 8 threads, and lowered the high side as well, with no real noticeable change.

That is problem number one, I also get a mad clunking noise while turning the wheel at low speeds.

It's going in to get re aligned tomorrow, the first alignment was before the coilovers and it's absolutely brutal, duck feet in the front, and the steering wheel is angled to the right while going straight. Since they owe me a fresh alignment I'm taking it back there (I'm buddy's with the owner but have no idea how he let it leave the shop how it is). Hopefully there's something obvious that needs replacing but I can't imagine what is causing these issues.

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Sounds to me like you need to get the car up in the air again, and totally remove and reinstall these things. it'll give you a chance to see what is different between them. There's likely something not right in your installation process.

At a minimum perhaps try to raise, then slowly lower a corner to see what, if anything, might be binding things up.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

Alright, thanks. It's at the alignment shop right now, hoping they can see what's up
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Your shit is blown. Common problem. Solution, don't buy used suspension unless you are OK with rebuilding it. Works well for motorcycle susp, less well for car susp.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

In my experience the difference between new, stiff struts and totally dead ones is about 1/2" of ride height change. What I was reading made it sounds much worse than that, but reading again yeah that could be all it is. That little difference really can make a big problem with our cars and everything being really tightly packed in the fender well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

Got it back from the alignment shop and it's mint now. He was vague in explaining, I think it must of either been their fuck up from before or a fuck up by the installer of the coilovers (who is a mutual friednd) and he didn't want to throw him under the bus. Whatever the case, I'm loving the new suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesticals View Post
Hey guys,

Somewhat of a suspension noob here, but I understand the gyst of it, and have had coilovers on all my cars in the past. Never ran into this issue though.

I bought a set of lightly used ST (kw) coilovers from someone here on the forum. After the initial install, all the coils had their height set the exact same, and the drivers side is way too low, halfway wheel lock and the fender is making contact with the tire. We raised the low side by 6 or 8 threads, and lowered the high side as well, with no real noticeable change.

That is problem number one, I also get a mad clunking noise while turning the wheel at low speeds.

It's going in to get re aligned tomorrow, the first alignment was before the coilovers and it's absolutely brutal, duck feet in the front, and the steering wheel is angled to the right while going straight. Since they owe me a fresh alignment I'm taking it back there (I'm buddy's with the owner but have no idea how he let it leave the shop how it is). Hopefully there's something obvious that needs replacing but I can't imagine what is causing these issues.

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks
You may have sagging springs. KW's are known for that. How many miles were on the coilovers when you bought them?

Clunking from the front could be from worn top mounts or improper torque on the end links. Are the springs properly seated in both the top and lower perches?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Also, it's always a good idea to make sure the suspension is pre-loaded before tightening the bolts.
      01-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Also, it's always a good idea to make sure the suspension is pre-loaded before tightening the bolts.
Yes, good practice with dealing with rubber bushings.
Appreciate 0